Challenger to Cael/PSU/NLWC

Started by rjchev141, April 30, 2024, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 01, 2024, 09:25:10 AM
Quote from: Ledger on May 01, 2024, 07:55:00 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 30, 2024, 07:24:23 PMAll you need is a rich backer, convince them to support college wrestling if they aren't fans already and let them pick the coach:

Elon Musk and other wealthy Stanford alums, Stanford
Phil Knight, Oregon State
Warren Buffet, Nebraska
Walton family, Little Rock

Of course Wisconsin has its share of wealthy people who Bono should be wining and dining: John Menard, Diane Hendricks, Judy Faulkner, James Cargill, Helen Johnson-Leipold, Curtis Johnson, Fisk Johnson, Richard & Elizabeth Uihlein, Herb Kohl

Jump Around!

Elon didn't go to Stanford (he applied, but never entered) and Phil Night went to Oregon.  Also, Herb Kohl would be a long shot LOL.
Elon did attend Stanford but dropped out after two days.  :P   The only D1 wrestling program in Oregon is Oregon State.  Herb died without any spouse or children, and not too long ago.  Bono should have schmoozed Herb and become besties with him instead of going on 100 mile jog/walkathon and UW could have a nice spanking new Herb Kohl wrestling center in the works.
Badger One your comments are entertaining but a little out of touch.  Nice talk with little understanding of the reality of college athletics.  Any big time donor would be contacted by the AD of external affairs office and would be "schmoozed" to give money to 4-5 other sports before wrestling.  What wrestling needs is a big time donor that has some interest and/or connection to wrestling!

rjchev141

This conversation keeps steering toward money first.  I'm making the argument that money is a secondary priority.  Iowa is the proof.  They seem to focus on the money, which in turn helps them recruit people focused on money, instead of reaching the top.

Another example, when UW leadership's priorities align with mine, I'll start contributing again.

blastdouble

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 30, 2024, 04:39:43 PMIf Bono only lived up to his promises when he took the job, UW would be that challenger.  Bono said he'd close the borders if he got the job.  Now if UW had KOT, Keckeisen, Mesenbrink, Sinclair, Buchanan, Hopke, Mirasola, Mirasola etc., we'd be as good as any team not named Penn State.  C'mon Bono live up to your word and no more excuses.

I think this ignores Bono's inability to develop talent that we have or have gotten. I am not confident that we would be in a much different spot even if we had landed half of those guys. 

DocWrestling

Money is #1 priority first.

Need a facility
Need a coach
Need to pay the wrestlers

Paying wrestlers might even be at the top if you look at basketball.  If you had a son would you recommend he attend Penn St where he might have the best change at a national title or would you send up to Other St University where they will pay you $400,000 more?  Everyone in basketball is taking the cash.  Now wrestling will likely never get to those levels where one school can pay that much more than another but if it does kids would be stupid not to take the money.  Especially in a sport that has no professional ranks.

UW wrestling needs basketball success and football success to even consider having a future.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

Just a thought. I have heard Ben Askren has done well with his MMA career and such. Has anyone reached put to Ben about being a possible "bigger" donor for Wisconsin wrestling? Bet he has made more than some of the regular monthy donors?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

BadgerOne

I think one of Bono's flaws is that he thinks he can take any kid who has some wrestling skill, put him through Bono's bootcamp, and brainwash him into believing he is a champion.  Bono's training is very old school, except for his belief that hypnotizing kids is game changing, but he is not like Cael or Ben in his development philosophy.  Working harder has diminishing returns and you need to recruit or develop talent.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 30, 2024, 04:39:43 PMIf Bono only lived up to his promises when he took the job, UW would be that challenger.  Bono said he'd close the borders if he got the job.  Now if UW had KOT, Keckeisen, Mesenbrink, Sinclair, Buchanan, Hopke, Mirasola, Mirasola etc., we'd be as good as any team not named Penn State.  C'mon Bono live up to your word and no more excuses.
Every new coach would like to "close the borders" and get the top talent in their state but that is not realistic. The top HS football player in the state of Wisconsin committed to Notre Dame, Mr. Basketball in the state over the last few years has gone to Duke and or North Carolina.  Heck Cael couldn't land Spencer Lee in PA and we all know that haven't had great success at 125.   Come on Fickell, Gard and Sanderson (to name a few), live up to your word, no more excuses!!

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on May 02, 2024, 07:30:22 AM
Every new coach would like to "close the borders" and get the top talent in their state but that is not realistic. The top HS football player in the state of Wisconsin committed to Notre Dame, Mr. Basketball in the state over the last few years has gone to Duke and or North Carolina.  Heck Cael couldn't land Spencer Lee in PA and we all know that haven't had great success at 125.   Come on Fickell, Gard and Sanderson (to name a few), live up to your word, no more excuses!!
I wasn't talking about what every coach "would like to" do, but what a coach actually said.  Bono said he'd close the borders, along with turning the program into a top 5 program that would compete for trophies and apparently somebody believed this as the UW hired him over all other applicants, who I believe included both Damian Hahn and Ben Askren.  So whoever believed Bono's slick sales job made a ridiculously stupid decision.  There is such a thing as accountability.  It's even more stupid that UW extended Bono after he has overpromised and underdelivered.  And I believe Bono is set to make over $2 million for swinging and missing on nearly every high end recruit from the state.   Wisconsin has plenty of money to burn.  Its not UW's lack of money which has plunged them into this mess, but their basic stupidity.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 02, 2024, 09:39:46 AM
I wasn't talking about what every coach "would like to" do, but what a coach actually said.  Bono said he'd close the borders, along with turning the program into a top 5 program that would compete for trophies and apparently somebody believed this as the UW hired him over all other applicants, who I believe included both Damian Hahn and Ben Askren.  So whoever believed Bono's slick sales job made a ridiculously stupid decision.  There is such a thing as accountability.  It's even more stupid that UW extended Bono after he has overpromised and underdelivered.  And I believe Bono is set to make over $2 million for swinging and missing on nearly every high end recruit from the state.   Wisconsin has plenty of money to burn.  Its not UW's lack of money which has plunged them into this mess, but their basic stupidity.
When you are part of a major college sports program and the flagship University in your state,
like UW Madison, you have fans/boosters/donators/alumni who want to see the top HS talent in the state stay home ("close the borders") and play where the fans can follow/watch them.  All coaches in the department understand this!  All coaches also know that getting the top HS talent will not necessarily happen each and every year.  Bono just happened to say it out loud.  Somehow you have to make a widely known and accepted practice in college athletics and turn it into a negative.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on May 03, 2024, 01:27:47 PM
When you are part of a major college sports program and the flagship University in your state,
like UW Madison, you have fans/boosters/donators/alumni who want to see the top HS talent in the state stay home ("close the borders") and play where the fans can follow/watch them.  All coaches in the department understand this!  All coaches also know that getting the top HS talent will not necessarily happen each and every year.  Bono just happened to say it out loud.  Somehow you have to make a widely known and accepted practice in college athletics and turn it into a negative.
So you are saying we should just ignore what Bono promises or says?  Should UW sign Bono to a lifetime contract?

wrestle03

Bono's promises mean nothing.  He's a good used car salesman and nothing more.  He cant and hasnt backed up anything he said or promised when he was hired.  That wont change anytime soon and his record of past performance is very indicative of future performance.  "Next year" is gonna be a long long long year.  We will see how many of you guys in love with him are still on board after the pathetic showing to come next year.  I tell it like it is and if someone dont like it tough.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 03, 2024, 02:26:24 PM
So you are saying we should just ignore what Bono promises or says?  Should UW sign Bono to a lifetime contract?
as typical, your missing the point.  We all understand you have a major axe the grind. My point, that you turned into a negative is that all college coaches would love to keep the top HS talent in the state at home.  Nothing more, nothing less

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on May 04, 2024, 08:01:20 PM
as typical, your missing the point.  We all understand you have a major axe the grind. My point, that you turned into a negative is that all college coaches would love to keep the top HS talent in the state at home.  Nothing more, nothing less
There is no point to miss! 

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 04, 2024, 08:12:07 PM
When you lack a good understanding of the subject,that is an understandable response

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on May 05, 2024, 08:56:48 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on May 04, 2024, 08:12:07 PM
When you lack a good understanding of the subject,that is an understandable response
To borrow a phrase from our good friend Ben, don't be a dummy!