Random Lake is a class act & great example!

Started by Lombardi, March 11, 2014, 11:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quack

Quote from: CrossAnkle on March 13, 2014, 10:20:30 PM
Quote from: Quack on March 13, 2014, 01:00:55 PM
This whole topic drives me nuts. Every case is different!! If a kid is slammed and it is called it is the one doing the slammings fault. He has a job to do, return the opposing wrestler to the mat safely. Grow up people, we want our kids to be kept safe in a very tough and rough sport. I would never fault a kid that gets slammed and can't continue in a match. I don't care if he is able to go later on. Some times things are just not right and take a little time to realize that everything is ok. But in the case things aren't right, it is better to be safe than sorry. Pull your heads out of your hineys. Pretty soon people will be saying hey, go slam this kid so we can get the win, because if he doesn't give it to you, people will chastise him, his coaches, and his team.

I watched a kid at Team State get what I am almost sure was a concussion. He is a very good wrestler and a wonderful kid I have talked to many times. Very polite and a real warrior on the mat. He got up to continue his match and got pinned shortly after, not normal for him. Had I been the coach and he was wrestling for me I would have pulled him and not let him go on. His safety is what really mattered to me. No it wasn't called a slam.

Are you serious? Sometimes kids are so amped up especially in a setting like team state that they are just a little to aggressive and they slam a kid. I dont think it has anything to do with it being anyone's fault it just happens. Its a rough sport its going occur all the time. If a slam is called and the kid gets up and says he is alright, he wrestles. IMO if a kid takes the default he should have to at least sit out the next match. That would eliminate kids taking a fall, and also protect kids if they really are hurt.

Yes, I am serious!!
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

catzfan

I watched the 182 match in question here. It was more of a mad scramble on the feet by aggressive kids. I think the rule was applied correctly in that a kid needs to be safely returned to the mat but it wasn't a malicious takedown.

padre

If we go back in time Quack was against teaching "lifting" on takedowns...so I am guessing this has been a sore spot for a long time.

Quack

Quote from: padre on March 14, 2014, 01:30:21 PM
If we go back in time Quack was against teaching "lifting" on takedowns...so I am guessing this has been a sore spot for a long time.

Lets get this right Padre. I am not and never was against lifting. I pointed out that you can take a kid down without lifting, if you couldn't return them to the mat safely. So Not against lifting, I am against a kid not doing his job on the return, if they are going to lift. If you have a kid that can't keep his emotions in check then he shouldn't be lifting.

As a matter of fact, I teach my own kids to throw, and both of them do throw. But I also teach them to do it right. In the high school practice room I also teach lift to return from behind and lifting on a take down, but no reason to take a kid above your head and to slam them. You don't need to lift very high to get a take down.

As for a sore spot, not at all. The sore spot for me is making a hero out of a kid that was slammed because another kid couldn't control him when he was lifted then slammed and hurt. Then that kid gives up a match to no fault of his. And chastising a kid that is slammed and hurt and doesn't go on in that match, but takes a win. Tell me what the second kid did wrong? He didn't slam himself!!!

Now I do think there are times when a kid does give up a match after getting slammed and he did the right thing. Look at the match between Murray and Rodick in 2013 at State. A slam was called and Murray will tell you it was partly his fault for jumping out of Rodick's grip. Murray got hurt, was behind in the match and decided that it wasn't Rodick's fault for what happened and let him have the win. That was classy..

So Padre, now you know where my sore spot is. It has nothing to do with lifting. I just think if you are gonna lift, you must return the other wrestler to the mat under control. That is why we have the rules. And if you can't finish that match, you should be chastised because you were slammed and didn't give the match away.

Also in case you were wondering. No I was never slammed in a match. No I never slammed anyone, I did indeed suf a guy in a high school match once. I took my penalty and continued on. I have seen two kids in a row that I was coaching get slammed and the second one got knocked out and the ref was only looking for a pin. The ref never called either slam, but both kids were hurt coming off the mat. Worst ref I have ever seen. The first kid after getting slammed laid there and took a pin and then laid there after the ref called the pin. Neither kid wrestled for a few weeks. One had a pretty good concussion.

I hope this clears things up for you.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

aarons23

I can't see anyone lifting Quack.....without a forklift! ;D
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

woody53

Quote from: aarons23 on March 14, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
I can't see anyone lifting Quack.....without a forklift! ;D
I have seen someone throw Quack. Wasn't pretty, but worked. Scared the beejeebeez out of me.  ;)
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

Quote from: Houndhead on March 12, 2014, 10:30:01 AM
Class act by the Random Lake coach and wrestler no matter how you slice it.

I don't know if they have the same coach; but I remember state in 2006 chatting with a coach from there I thought was the coolest dude.

I know the rule kind of "has" to exist; but I've correctly lifted many a wrestler who fought like crazy and no one was going to control them as they went to the mat. Not as easy as "just control the kid."
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.