Freedom Tny 4-13; CANCELED due to low entry numbers.

Started by TomM, April 12, 2013, 01:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Saturday, April 13, 2013
Freedom
CANCELED due to low entry numbers.
Freedom Wrestling Club Freestyle/Greco Wrestling Tournament
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bpappy

For anyone planning to come to the Franklin Tournament instead

You can still enter wrestler's information into TrackWrestling until 9pm tonight; then sign the consent form and pay at the door.

We are located in the southwest corner of Milwaukee County.  Three exits south of General Mitchell Airport is Drexel Avenue.  If you exit onto Drexel and go west, 51st St. will be at a 4-way stop sign.  Turn left and the high school is just south of Drexel.

We run 6 mats (4 in the gym and two in the wrestling room)

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=80804009

The more wrestlers that enter their own infomation into TrackWrestling, the easier it will be to start on time

There are currently 221 in Trackwrestling for Freestyle and/or Greco.  I would expect more to register on TrackWrestling today and some always wait until they get to the tournament, but that slows things down in the morning.  (last year, we had to enter all of the information for 62 wrestlers on Saturday morning).  We should have some good competition for kids of all levels and even get some very good Illinois wrestlers that you may not have wrestled before.

mike

with so few freestyle/greco tournaments in Wisconsin, its too bad to see such low numbers that tournaments have to cancel.  Not a good sign for the growth of FS/GR in Wisconsin.

:(

Greco

Is it low numbers? Or is it the fact that in the past couple of years tournaments are publishing the wrestler list on TrackWrestling?

Four and more years ago you just went to one of the two tournaments for that Saturday and it worked out for both venues.

Today the venue holder gets cold feet because they look at the pre-registration numbers and think that no one is going to walk-in. It also discourages the parents that "shop" tournaments and either duck the guys listed or don't go because not enough will be in their kid's bracket. It does not look like Freedom released the wrestler list, so they are probably just assuming that walk-in numbers will be low.

I would not publish the wrestler list or even the total number of wrestlers prior to the tournament. If you want to wrestle, pick the tournament and go. If you are going to host a tournament, host it. If your tournament is between Folkstyle Nationals and WWF FS/GR State, you will have enough wrestlers.

ramjet

The Freedom had low numbers period they had the wrestlers list hidden not released till Saturday Morning so that kind of shoots your theory. I am not saying that your theory is not totally wrong there may be some merit with some wrestlers.

Looks like Franklin will have good numbers based on the posts here. If people are avoiding good wrestlers that is sad as those kids will not get better. I highly doubt that much goes on in terms of avoiding competition as many are actually seeking out tougher competition. Weather sure doesn't help.

Greco

Quote from: ramjet on April 12, 2013, 04:44:56 PM
The Freedom had low numbers period they had the wrestlers list hidden not released till Saturday Morning so that kind of shoots your theory. I am not saying that your theory is not totally wrong there may be some merit with some wrestlers.
I mentioned that.

Quote from: ramjet on April 12, 2013, 04:44:56 PM
Looks like Franklin will have good numbers based on the posts here. If people are avoiding good wrestlers that is sad as those kids will not get better. I highly doubt that much goes on in terms of avoiding competition as many are actually seeking out tougher competition. Weather sure doesn't help.

I would think that the majority is wrestlers seeking competition, but getting discouraged if low numbers are published.

Freestyle & Greco-Roman are my favorite and I hate to see tournaments canceled.

ramjet

I agree this is huge disappointment to us. We had 4-5 wrestlers signed up.