Started by TomM, February 28, 2017, 11:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

9 qualifiers. I wish I had the cash to go.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Huckfinn

I haven't listened to FLO's Big Ten tourny preview yet.  I enjoyed Inside Trip's preview: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-inside-trip

kenai77

Just looked at coverage for this.  BTN Plus only.  Yet ANOTHER streaming service...

the Big Ten Network programming schedule for Saturday:  9-12 Big SHOW,and a replay of a mens BB game, then a regular gymnastics meet, and a non playoff BB game.

the Big Ten wrestling conference tournament is a mini NCAA championship - you would think that the Big Ten would recognize this and not force people to use a streaming service.  Or, put the lesser impact sporting events on BTN Plus.  It boggles the mind that they would put the entire Big Ten wrestling conf tournament on BTN+, and none of it on the actual Big Ten Network, not even the finals.

The streaming wars are here...FLO suing Trackwrestling preventing coverage, FLO forcing people to pay to watch PSU vs OKSt and then actually failing to provide the stream, it crashed...WIAA forcing people to sign up for streaming for regular matches (always was provided by a tv station prior years). 

how about they make it easier for people to watch the sport instead of making it more difficult...try increasing viewership instead of reducing it. 

Oh well, we'll always have the Olympics...they'll never pull wrestling from the Olympics, right?  I guess those lessons are lost already in the greed. 

imwi

Quote from: kenai77 on March 02, 2017, 09:04:15 AM
Just looked at coverage for this.  BTN Plus only.  Yet ANOTHER streaming service...

the Big Ten Network programming schedule for Saturday:  9-12 Big SHOW,and a replay of a mens BB game, then a regular gymnastics meet, and a non playoff BB game.

the Big Ten wrestling conference tournament is a mini NCAA championship - you would think that the Big Ten would recognize this and not force people to use a streaming service.  Or, put the lesser impact sporting events on BTN Plus.  It boggles the mind that they would put the entire Big Ten wrestling conf tournament on BTN+, and none of it on the actual Big Ten Network, not even the finals.

The streaming wars are here...FLO suing Trackwrestling preventing coverage, FLO forcing people to pay to watch PSU vs OKSt and then actually failing to provide the stream, it crashed...WIAA forcing people to sign up for streaming for regular matches (always was provided by a tv station prior years). 

how about they make it easier for people to watch the sport instead of making it more difficult...try increasing viewership instead of reducing it. 

Oh well, we'll always have the Olympics...they'll never pull wrestling from the Olympics, right?  I guess those lessons are lost already in the greed. 

I agree with your sentiments.  Just wanted to clear up one thing, the finals are on regular BTN not the BTN plus.
3:00pm BTN Wrestling: B1G Championship

leg turk

Barry will have these young men ready!  Bank on it!

Huckfinn

Quote from: kenai77 on March 02, 2017, 09:04:15 AM
Just looked at coverage for this.  BTN Plus only.  Yet ANOTHER streaming service...

Oh well, we'll always have the Olympics...they'll never pull wrestling from the Olympics, right?  
It's a chicken or egg argument, but you have to get more interest in the sport before TV will devote time to it.   The problem is with the sport, not the TV executives.    
Wrestling fans LOVE the tournament format to determine the team national championship.  But only hardcore fans can possibly follow a tournament.   In order for wrestling to grow beyond a cult sport, the dual meets have got to matter, because casual fans can only be drawn into a team event they can follow.    

Or maybe wrestling should stay as dedicated fans have grown to appreciate it.  Streaming  has gotten better the last 5 years and will only improve.  A choice has to be made.

BTW, I notice that the Big 12 Championship will be on the main Fox Sports channel at a delayed odd late hour.  If you have a DVR you can record it.    This is good because it is in high def, but more importantly you won't need an extra subscription to see it on the Fox College Sports channels.

Ghetto

I am pretty sure the Big 12s are on Flo.

BTW. Barou owes me an ice cream. Just sayin'

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on March 02, 2017, 02:09:25 PM

LOL, yep.  Let me know where to send it.
JHI Mafia

bkraus

Quote from: Barou on March 02, 2017, 02:28:16 PM

LOL, yep.  Let me know where to send it.

Haha, mailed ice cream is really milk!  Enjoy it!   ;D
Strive for Perfection

Huckfinn

ya,  FLO is streaming the whole tournament, or much of it.

FOX retains the rights to broadcast the finals, not sure if they have exclusive rights this year.   They use John Smith's brother, another famous wrestler, as the color analyst and it is done well.   It is broadcast live only to a small audience that gets the FOX Sports Southwest channel.    The FOX Sports channel on cable networks in the midwest will replay the championships at 4 A.M. on monday morning.

Oh, here's a kick in the teeth:  the replay in past years only included 8 of the matches so they can squeeze lots of commercials into two hours.    That shows you the respect the TV people have for the sport of wrestling.

I ran a website for two years (called "GrapplingGuide.com", probably somebody grabbed my groovy domain name by now.)  that was just a directory of TV and Streaming options for wrestling.   So I've been following closely how things change, and they are getting better every year.    The quality of production, and technical quality of streaming keeps getting better.  FLO is dragging its feet somewhat, but I bet they will deliver better service in time.  

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Let's qualify 10 for the NCAA's Badgers !!

You can do it !
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

dad 2 5

bigG

That would make for a great day. Little worries about 165, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

So purchase a flowrestling subscription, a trackwrestling subscription, a WIAA wrestling subscription, A BTN Plus subscription, what else?  They will eat each other and then complain no one wants to pay to watch wrestling.   Too many subscriptions.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin