Badger Wrestling Marketing?

Started by leg turk, May 18, 2016, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Do they have students do the Wisconsin Badger wrestling website?  Or do they hire it out?  Whichever it is, I wish they would promote the sport better.  I know it's the off season, but some schools already have parts of their 2016-17 schedule out.  I want someone to get us excited about this team, make me want to come to the matches, put some life into this state, LET'S GO RED!

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/051816aac.html

We don't wrestle St. Donny this year, that's too bad, I think we would beat him pretty bad this year.

npope

Quote from: leg turk on May 18, 2016, 09:16:17 AM

We don't wrestle St. Donny this year, that's too bad, I think we would beat him pretty bad this year.

I'm surprised to hear that. While the UW slipped by Rutgers last season, Rutgers sent nine guys to the NCAA and have a solid core returning. Many are predicting that Rutgers is on the rise while Bucky is status quo. Not saying that it couldn't happen but rather, many are saying that one program is headed up while the other is mired in mediocrity. A match-by-match analysis, once the line ups begin to materialize, might help clarify the situation.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

ChargerDad

RU is definitely on the rise, but loses 3 to graduation, 2 of which won at UW last year..      Don't see how WI wouldn't be a favorite next year with Rutgers losing 3 starters and Medbury coming back..  In 2 years, different story with the losses hitting UW (Taylor, Jordan, Medbury).  I expect Wisconsin to make a small step forward next year, and then a step back the following year.  There are a handful of decent but not necassarily spectacular recruits coming in, and if none of them are misses, might hang around that 6-10 spot in the Big 10 for the next few years..

bigG

I'm with you. Small step forward; but, still a team with a couple a studs and a weak depth chart.

Any thoughts on Medbury's chances on the NCAA stage? I can see him taking third. Champ would be a bit of a push; but that class has been loaded of late. This last year it may have been the toughest weight class.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

Kids don't use web sites or Facebook. That's for old people.

Future wrestlers will be on snapchat, instagram, and twitter. I don't do the first two, but Wisconsin has upped their exposure on Twitter for sure.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bulldog

Quote from: Ghetto on May 19, 2016, 10:23:22 AM
Kids don't use web sites or Facebook. That's for old people.

Future wrestlers will be on snapchat, instagram, and twitter. I don't do the first two, but Wisconsin has upped their exposure on Twitter for sure.

Ghetto...I agree that kids tell you that they don't use facebook and it is for old people and I agree that they use snapchat and instagram to interact with each other. But Facebook is still on all of their devices. I will give you an example of the reach Facebook has...at the WIAA state tournament Central Wisconsin Wrestling posted a story about a wrestler not being able to compete in the finals of the tournament. That brief article reached over 12,000 people, got over 500 reactions, was shared 120 times and had 89 comments. That is pretty impressive reach about the sport

I asked the folks that manage the page and they told me that the average post reaches about 1,000 people. I don't know if you can get that type of reach with snapchat or instagram but I will also be the first to admit that I don't know enough about them. I do know that anytime I post photos of kids at a wrestling meet and tag that kid in the photo it is a matter of moments before he/she hits "like" on the photo.

According to my kids...twitter is dead among their age group. They may be full of it too...I never follow twitter

Ghetto

I would agree that Twitter is on its way out.

I'd be interested to see the demographics on the Facebook. Can you do analytics on Facebook in regards to browser, OS, etc? It might tell who is accessing the information.

I am definitely not saying we should omit one and concentrate on another. I think to reach the most people, you hit as many social media outlets as you can.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ChargerDad

From top to bottom, the online communication tools used by kids ordered by frequency of use..

Snapchat
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
Online Forums

The more reading and actual thought required, the less likely the kids these days are to use it;-)

npope

Quote from: ChargerDad on May 20, 2016, 06:17:22 AM

The more reading and actual thought required, the less likely the kids these days are to use it;-)

Then why would the online forums be at the bottom?  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

ChargerDad

Quote from: npope on May 20, 2016, 08:21:56 AM

touche..  sometimes that does indeed appear to be the case...  in another medium I may have just responded with some meme featuring a man and a beverage with an XX on it..

MarkK

I have to say my experience at the WIAA state tournament showed that Facebook was the most utilized social media.  The post about the female Stratford wrestler reached about 100,000 people.   It was pretty amazing.  On that same note, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Jimmy

It does not matter what method they use, if the person in  charge is not deeply involved or has a fantastic communication channel with bd and staff the information will be minimal and sporadic .

leg turk

Quote from: Jimmy on May 20, 2016, 12:11:55 PM
It does not matter what method they use, if the person in  charge is not deeply involved or has a fantastic communication channel with bd and staff the information will be minimal and sporadic .

Exactly, it seems non existing.

imnofish

Quote from: ChargerDad on May 20, 2016, 10:56:20 AM
Quote from: npope on May 20, 2016, 08:21:56 AM

touche..  sometimes that does indeed appear to be the case...  in another medium I may have just responded with some meme featuring a man and a beverage with an XX on it..

Stay thirsty for knowledge, my friend...    ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on May 20, 2016, 12:49:35 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on May 20, 2016, 12:11:55 PM

Exactly, it seems non existing.

Have to keep a tight lid on that valuable information!
JHI Mafia