Beer Cheese Soup

Started by Houndhead, February 09, 2016, 07:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Anyone have a great Beer cheese soup recipe. There was a local establishment that had great beer cheese soup. They had a fire about 15 years ago and I haven't had beer cheeese soup since then. I would like to attempt to make my own.

ramjet

I have had it and you are sure right it is fantastic.

So here is receptive I found it may be what you are looking for. And it is Wisconsin Beer Cheese soup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/86274/wisconsin-natives-beer-cheese-soup/

bigG

My lovely departed grandma was Welsh and this (I stole from a restaurant) comes close to hers.
Far as I know, it's the father of beer/cheese soups. Though, it should be noted that, generally, Welsh rarebit was mean to top heavy breads.

Welsh Rarebit Soup

Prep time:  30 mins

Cook time:  20 mins

Total time:  50 mins

Serves: 6 to 8

Ingredients
•8 cups water
•1 teaspoon salt
•5 cups chopped potatoes
•6 garlic cloves
•2 tablespoons butter
•2 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
•2 cups chopped onions
•1 cup diced celery
•2 bay leaves
•pinch of cayenne
•12 ounces beer (use ale or light beer, not a dark beer)
•2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
•2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
•1 cup 2% milk
•1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
•chopped tomatoes
•croutons
•chopped fresh chives (optional)

Instructions
1.In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil.
2.Add the potatoes and garlic, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
3.While the potatoes cook, warm the butter and oil in a soup pot.
4.Add the onions, celery, bay leaves, and cayenne and sauté on medium heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are very tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
5.Remove and discard the bay leaves.
6.Stir in the beer, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for a couple of minutes.
7.Drain the potatoes, reserving their cooking liquid.
8.Add all of the potatoes, 2 cups of the potato-cooking liquid, the milk, and the grated cheese to the soup pot and stir well. In batches in a blender, purée the soup until velvety smooth.
9.Return to the soup pot and gently reheat, if needed.
10.If the soup is too thick, add enough potato-cooking liquid to reach the consistency you want.
11.Serve topped with chopped tomatoes and croutons and, if you wish, sprinkle with chives.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

mmmmmmmmmmm-mmmm-m-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

bigG

If you serve it with the diced tomatoes, it's almost like a salsa dip; but smoother, and the real cheese (Pasture Pride sharp cheddar, Cashton, WI, one of the five greatest cheeses on earth) makes it sing.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.