How do you prep for winter???

Started by wrestlersdad, October 24, 2014, 08:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlersdad

OK, question for others.

How many of you are packing up the grill along with the patio furniture, lawn mower, etc. and putting it aawway until spring?

Personally my grill stays ouut and gets used all winter long.  Nothing beats a great meal on the grill.  Not to mention giving the wife a night off from cooking makes me a hero!!!!  She always  thinks I'm crazy, but never complains about how the meal tastes.  Our new years day dinner consists of beef tenderloin and lobster tails fresh off the grill.  Yum.

Are there any other crazies that like to grill year round?
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bigG

I think boiling a lobster tail is a waste of a good tail. Though I do like boiling the whole live lobster and listening to the scream.  :'(LOL!..

Grilled lobster tail our prawns basted with honeybutter and a hint of guajillo powder mixed in is my favorite food of all time, I think. Some rich tenderloin sure doesn't hurt, either. I think new years scream surf and turf. Never understood why people went out that night, with all the amateurs on the road. Stay home, make a heavenly meal, have some cheer, watch the ball drop, hit the hay.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

I'm the worst winter griller of all time. I'm too much of a wuss to stand in the cold, and with the cold weather you have to turn the gas up high and leave it to get good heat. Maybe I'll try charcoal this winter for grilling.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrestlersdad

Quote from: bigG on October 24, 2014, 09:04:32 AM
I think boiling a lobster tail is a waste of a good tail. Though I do like boiling the whole live lobster and listening to the scream.  :'(LOL!..

Grilled lobster tail our prawns basted with honeybutter and a hint of guajillo powder mixed in is my favorite food of all time, I think. Some rich tenderloin sure doesn't hurt, either. I think new years scream surf and turf. Never understood why people went out that night, with all the amateurs on the road. Stay home, make a heavenly meal, have some cheer, watch the ball drop, hit the hay.

If we are lucky we wake up in time to watch the ball drop.  Last year was the first year we stayed up till midnight on NYE, and that was only because we were at a wedding reception.  But at 12:30, we were in the room, sound asleep.

bigG

I have the grill right near my leantu which is chock full of wood in winter. Stereo/TV, etc. Nothing better than grilling during a Packer game, TV on, sound off, radio on for play by play, and the smell of meat and veggies grillin'.

I'm a charcoal guy.

wrestlersdad

I have both gas and charcoal.  I actually do prefer the gas in the winter as it is easier to keep better heat.  I learned to let it warm up for much longer before letting the meat see it.

bigG

I like my gas one, too, in winter. Just love the smell of the charcoal, especially when it's snowy and my fire pit isn't usable.

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on October 24, 2014, 09:05:55 AM
I'm the worst winter griller of all time. I'm too much of a wuss to stand in the cold, and with the cold weather you have to turn the gas up high and leave it to get good heat. Maybe I'll try charcoal this winter for grilling.

My grill goes in the garage during the winter...I can crack the door turn on my propane heater and grill away!!!
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigG

I'm about due for a new gas one. I should dig around for some end of season sales action.

imnofish

I sometimes grill out on the ice, using wood or charcoal.  The gas grill takes a vacation when the white stuff covers the ground, though.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Gas Grill and Pellet grill are on my covered deck right out the back door I use them all winter long grilling is the greatest........🍤🍗🍖🍔🍴🍹🍛🍺

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on November 04, 2014, 11:25:26 PM
I sometimes grill out on the ice, using wood or charcoal.  The gas grill takes a vacation when the white stuff covers the ground, though.

Why is the cheapest hot dog in the world taste like gourmet food when cooked while ice fishing? Some of the best dogs I've had were cooked over the propane heater out on the ice.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on November 05, 2014, 05:38:17 PM
Quote from: imnofish on November 04, 2014, 11:25:26 PM

Why is the cheapest hot dog in the world taste like gourmet food when cooked while ice fishing? Some of the best dogs I've had were cooked over the propane heater out on the ice.

When I coached, we would always have a post-Christmas day on the ice with the team.  Ice fishing, touch football in the snow, and a cookout.  The kids loved it, despite the fact that it was just burgers and dogs getting grilled.  Something about eating hot food in a cold setting that is uniquely satisfying.   8)  My boy and I used to cook dinner in foil pouches on the car engine, while fishing tipups after dark.  He thought that was gourmet food.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Another thing I always liked doing is bunless grilling. Throw the brat on a stump, cut it up with a knife and we all share a little, next a burger, then a nat casing dog, then an italian, etc. Atkins before Atkins.

imnofish

I thought of trying bunless grilling, but suspected I might find it hard to stand up.  Not sure how that worked for you; did you have to freeze them off, first?   ;)