Flynn is now available

Started by npope, October 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

With Flynn's release from Oakland is it just a matter of time before he surfaces in GB or has that ship sailed?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

DrSnide

Quote from: npope on October 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PM
With Flynn's release from Oakland is it just a matter of time before he surfaces in GB or has that ship sailed?

Probably can get him on the cheap (his value hasn't been this low since he was drafted) and he knows the system really well - and proven he can play well in that system - seems almost a no brainer.  But lots of no-brainers don't come to fruition. Can't believe that Vikings are going to let a former Packer get by them though ;D
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bigoil

Quote from: DrSnide on October 07, 2013, 02:56:30 PM

Probably can get him on the cheap (his value hasn't been this low since he was drafted) and he knows the system really well - and proven he can play well in that system - seems almost a no brainer.  But lots of no-brainers don't come to fruition. Can't believe that Vikings are going to let a former Packer get by them though ;D
Vikings just signed John Freeman.

DrSnide

Quote from: howavi on October 07, 2013, 03:00:28 PM

Vikings just signed John Freeman.

I know but Flynn is an ex-Packer so they may end of carrying 4 QBs.  Just can't stop themselves.  :D

boowrestle

MM was just asked about flynn and said GB has no plans to go after him,they are happy with the QB plan in GB.I was just told that what ever team signs him is responsible for over 5million in salary,JMO,he isnt worth it!!!They have much more important players to pay after this yr,dont need to waste 5million on a backup QB thats never going to see the field.
you can run but you cannot hide.

DrSnide

Quote from: boowrestle on October 07, 2013, 04:23:07 PM
MM was just asked about flynn and said GB has no plans to go after him,they are happy with the QB plan in GB.I was just told that what ever team signs him is responsible for over 5million in salary,JMO,he isnt worth it!!!They have much more important players to pay after this yr,dont need to waste 5million on a backup QB thats never going to see the field.

Shouldn't have to.  I think he is an uncondition free agent like Freeman. The Vikings did not pick of Freeman's salary (TB is still on the hook for that) they gave a new 3 million dollar contract.  So Freeman gets the 6 million TB owes him plus the 3 million on his new contract for the rest of the season from MN.  I believe Flynn is in the same boat as Freeman and the Raiders will pay the remainder of his current contract and he will negotiate a spearate deal with whatever team he signs with. 

The Last Ride

McCarthy said no pretty much to Flynn coming back.. They may have to carrie 2 Qb's so they can add some LB's
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

DrSnide

Quote from: The Last Ride on October 07, 2013, 04:48:17 PM
McCarthy said no pretty much to Flynn coming back.. They may have to carrie 2 Qb's so they can add some LB's

Yeah, and maybe that's true but all coaches would stay the same thing.  You don't throw Wallace under the bus in case you don't sign Flynn. I do think it would be a sign Flynn release Wallace deal- they both seem to play the same role.

I see Mathews may be out a month which on one hand better than out for the season but I was really hoping for a club instead.

Todd

They just signed head case Freeman.
"This page intentionally left blank".

neutral

I could see him backing up in Chicago next year ... maybe even starting if FA Cutler ends up somewhere else - but he'd need a training camp to digest the Trestman playbook ... so adding him at this point isn't an option (uness there's a significant injury).
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

Quote from: Goat Roper on October 15, 2013, 08:23:08 AM
Quote from: neutral on October 15, 2013, 08:21:59 AM
I could see him backing up in Chicago next year ... maybe even starting if FA Cutler ends up somewhere else - but he'd need a training camp to digest the Trestman playbook ... so adding him at this point isn't an option (uness there's a significant injury).

He signed with Buffalo didn't he?

I hadn't seen that - but bet he won't stick there past this year ... given their commitment to EJ Manuel

From abcnews.go.com/...bills-sign-​quarterback-matt-flynn-20566875 ... they initially intend for Flynn to back up Thad Lewis ... and don't expect Manuel to be out an extended period of time.  

He could back up there as well as Chicago - so maybe only an option in Chicago if Cutler is out of the picture there.  They could draft one in Chicago as well - but, IMO, have too many defensive needs to do that.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."