Da' Bears!

Started by imnofish, September 22, 2013, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

Quote from: Big House on October 11, 2013, 01:01:07 PM
The only thing good about the bears is ...

Maybe I'll think of something in a minute.

Let me help you a little ... they're on the Packers schedule twice each year.  Better get those brainwaves checked for activity.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

Quote from: Houndhead on October 11, 2013, 01:25:03 PM
Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 11, 2013, 11:50:33 AM
Quote from: bkraus on October 11, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 09:35:14 AM
Quote from: aarons23 on October 11, 2013, 09:15:41 AM
Neutral...now tell us how objective the Bears fans are .   Lol.

Idiots are everywhere - but I don't hear Bear fans cuttin' on universally revered Packer HOFers.

I've heard plenty of Bear fans cutting down plenty of guys who wear green and gold.  I have tons of relatives in Chicago, and when they are not trying to spout off about how great the Cubs are, they are bashing anything non-Bears.  Or jumping on the Blackhawks bandwagon.
But I will agree with you on Payton being one of the best to ever play, unfortunately for Chicago.  I was fortunate enough to meet him in 1992, and he was an even better person than player.

Funny how everyone is suddenly a Blackhawks fan.

And I'm pretty sure if the Bucks started winning ... there'd be a lot more Bucks fans.

Stop trying to make it sound like WI sports fans are better, smarter, or more loyal than everybody else.  Between superbowls - there was a lot less green & gold showing than in the SB years.  WI has just one thing nobody else can claim to rival ... Lambeau Field - and that's it.

Well, the Packers have sold out every game since 1960. That includes a lot of bad seasons, so yes, their fans are more loyal and better than everybody else. Deal with it.

Best party in town ... every weekend they're at home.

bigoil

Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 09:09:55 AM
Quote from: howavi on September 27, 2013, 07:24:48 AM
Don't like the Bears, never will! Payton was always regarded as tough and I can only remember my dad always barking at him for going out of bounds.

He did play with class as did his predecessor GS.

How out of it was your dad?

Did Payton ever run out of bounds when there was no more to be gained? ... yes.
Did whatever he saved on that run help him to run through somebody on another play ... you bet.
If you watch any amount of his games ... you have to call Payton a tough runner & player - and I don't recall him missing many plays ... let alone games ... even when he was all they had.

Save your criticism for someone deserving ... not one of the greatest & toughest running backs ever (apologies for him being a Bear) - or continue to show your ignorance.  Shows you that you can't believe everything your parents tell you. 

This is the kind of crap that really gets to me about some Packer fans - no objectivity what-so-ever when it comes to the Bears.

Criticism is always more acceptable when accompanied by intelligence & objectivity

What the F is your problem? I said he played with class as did Gale Sayers. That is what people say about Barry Sanders as well, did you fail to read that?

aarons23

Quote from: howavi on October 12, 2013, 03:16:44 PM
Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 09:09:55 AM
Quote from: howavi on September 27, 2013, 07:24:48 AM
Don't like the Bears, never will! Payton was always regarded as tough and I can only remember my dad always barking at him for going out of bounds.

He did play with class as did his predecessor GS.

How out of it was your dad?

Did Payton ever run out of bounds when there was no more to be gained? ... yes.
Did whatever he saved on that run help him to run through somebody on another play ... you bet.
If you watch any amount of his games ... you have to call Payton a tough runner & player - and I don't recall him missing many plays ... let alone games ... even when he was all they had.

Save your criticism for someone deserving ... not one of the greatest & toughest running backs ever (apologies for him being a Bear) - or continue to show your ignorance.  Shows you that you can't believe everything your parents tell you. 

This is the kind of crap that really gets to me about some Packer fans - no objectivity what-so-ever when it comes to the Bears.

Criticism is always more acceptable when accompanied by intelligence & objectivity

What the F is your problem? I said he played with class as did Gale Sayers. That is what people say about Barry Sanders as well, did you fail to read that?

A little testy today? Dropping an F bomb....that's grounds for expulsion. ;D
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigoil

Calling my deceased dad out is grounds.

whatever

Come on, Howavi - pretty sure Neutral had no clue your dad is deceased (sorry to hear that) but you did you use him as a source that Payton ran out of bounds.

I must say - that shocked me because I grew up watching Payton and the one thing that ALWAYS stuck in my mind was how Payton NEVER ran out of bounds.  Payton, besides having those incredible highlight runs where he totally drilled defender after defender and bounced off them like a pinball, was the one runner who ALWAYS delivered the blow to the defenders.  Heck, I recall watching him stop before going out of bounds just to deliver a shot to a defender before he went out.

Saying Payton ran out of bounds (albeit in a second-way) is the equivalent of saying Charles Martin never cheap-shotted anybody or bodyslammed a quarterback......
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

bigoil

He did go out of bounds (you can credit that to me) and yet is regarded as one of the hardest running RBs there was.

I distinctly remember him sticking the football out for more yards running out of bounds. Smart. And he was tough, he missed one game in 13 yrs.

whatever

Well now you're arguing semantics, Howavi.  Yes, Payton did run out of bounds - every running back at some point, runs out of bounds because they have a head of steam going and maybe can't turn the corner or they bounce off a defender and end up going out of bounds.

To say Payton ran out of bounds seems to be implying that he ran out of bounds to avoid contact or avoid being tackled.

I think that happened with Payton very, very rarely.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

bigoil

Neutral actually said he did to save himself.

He is arguably the best with sanders and brown

neutral

Quote from: howavi on October 12, 2013, 08:21:17 PM

I said, "Did Payton ever run out of bounds when there was no more to be gained? ... yes.
Did whatever he saved on that run help him to run through somebody on another play ... you bet."

Reading is no more important than comprehension.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine's been gone 27 years ... miss him every day - but he wasn't perfect either ... neither are you or me.

bigoil

Quote from: neutral on October 13, 2013, 07:54:10 AM

I said, "Did Payton ever run out of bounds when there was no more to be gained? ... yes.
Did whatever he saved on that run help him to run through somebody on another play ... you bet."

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine's been gone 27 years ... miss him every day - but he wasn't perfect either ... neither are you or me.

My comprehension is just fine, I agree with what you said, sorry I paraphrased your quote. iPhone the clip on YouTube yesterday that may not actually back up my statement of him going Outabounds but it was a collective colossal statement about the 80's packers looking a lot like 2010 Lions. Mark lee nailing Payton over the bench, ken stills hitting suehy and of course a couple of Charles Martin hits on Jim McMahon.

neutral

Quote from: howavi on October 13, 2013, 09:13:26 AM

My comprehension is just fine, I agree with what you said, sorry I paraphrased your quote. iPhone the clip on YouTube yesterday that may not actually back up my statement of him going Outabounds but it was a collective colossal statement about the 80's packers looking a lot like 2010 Lions. Mark lee nailing Payton over the bench, ken stills hitting suehy and of course a couple of Charles Martin hits on Jim McMahon.

Don't need you tube ... they're emlazened in my memory.  That was all Forrest Gregg - great player ... one of the worst all-time head coaches.

bigG

I always thought Payton lasted as he did because he didn't try to run through people, but rather as the pinball you point out. Earl Campbell and the like ran through people, then fizzled rather quickly, IMHO, due to his running through people.

I could be wrong. Always liked Payton, though. Always did what he had to do for the extra yard, even with crappy lines. If not THE, one of the greatest. Then again, Brown did run through people for many years. Probably the toughest man to tackle, ever.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Hard to distinguish between some of these greats. 
Jim Brown played 9 years, started all those seasons... half those were 12 game seasons and about half were 14 game seasons.  I thought the common thinking was similar to Saunders...he left the game early in his career.
Walter Payton played mostly 16 game seasons and played most of those in their entirety. 
They were all amazing in their sports and arenas.  How can anyone argue over which was better?
Hard to say...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Todd

Quote from: bkraus on October 11, 2013, 12:51:29 PM
Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 11, 2013, 11:50:33 AM
Quote from: bkraus on October 11, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
Quote from: neutral on October 11, 2013, 09:35:14 AM
Quote from: aarons23 on October 11, 2013, 09:15:41 AM
Neutral...now tell us how objective the Bears fans are .   Lol.

Idiots are everywhere - but I don't hear Bear fans cuttin' on universally revered Packer HOFers.

I've heard plenty of Bear fans cutting down plenty of guys who wear green and gold.  I have tons of relatives in Chicago, and when they are not trying to spout off about how great the Cubs are, they are bashing anything non-Bears.  Or jumping on the Blackhawks bandwagon.
But I will agree with you on Payton being one of the best to ever play, unfortunately for Chicago.  I was fortunate enough to meet him in 1992, and he was an even better person than player.

Funny how everyone is suddenly a Blackhawks fan.

And I'm pretty sure if the Bucks started winning ... there'd be a lot more Bucks fans.

Stop trying to make it sound like WI sports fans are better, smarter, or more loyal than everybody else.  Between superbowls - there was a lot less green & gold showing than in the SB years.  WI has just one thing nobody else can claim to rival ... Lambeau Field - and that's it.

Bucks winning???  That's funny right there!

0-4 baby!
"This page intentionally left blank".