Brewers sign Garza to $52MM/4 year deal

Started by neutral, January 23, 2014, 03:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

beanertimm

If he stays healthy, this is a good deal. Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Pheralta, and Estrada are a pretty solid pitching staff.  Would be nice to have a left hander, though.

RockVikings

Good signing should provide depth and hopefully eat up some innings.

neutral

... and improve the bullpen ... if that's where Thornburg is headed.

Ghetto

Quote from: beanertimm on January 23, 2014, 04:07:03 PM
If he stays healthy, this is a good deal. Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Pheralta, and Estrada are a pretty solid pitching staff.  Would be nice to have a left hander, though.

Yeah, they are super right handed in the starting rotation. You don't have to have a left hander, but it would be nice.

I'm stunned how much money a guy with a 67-67 career record can get on the open market. $13 million per year. Wow. A .500 career record with a bunch of stints on the DL.

With 400 year old Lyle Overbay playing first, they are guaranteed a playoff spot!  ;D
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

boowrestle

Overbay/Reynolds is big improvement at 1st base from what they had there last season :D
you can run but you cannot hide.

Ghetto

I think you and I could have hit better than the carosel of dudes they out out there.  ::)
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

neutral

Quote from: boowrestle on January 23, 2014, 10:40:29 PM
Overbay/Reynolds is big improvement at 1st base from what they had there last season :D

HRs will be up - but I hope there are guys on base.  220 BAs don't usually move runners around the basepaths .... station-to-station.

littleguy301

Garza is still kind of young. He was a rising star in the Twins organization until the Delmon Young trade that he was involved with.

Not sure why he fell out of favor with the Twins but he has some up side.

When I say young, I mean in years of pitching. I think he has a lot left in his tank if you get him to focus on baseball and making good pitches.

Reynolds,,,,man if he did hit 220 I would love it. Go big or go home is his motto. I believe he has a couple of 200 strikeout years under his belt and many more with at least 150 strikeouts. He also can deliever some serious power also. I like Reynolds, I think he is that bring your lunch pale to work and get the job done.

Overby is not 400 years old, though close ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Wasnt he a rising start in the days of wool uniforms?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

neutral

Very weird.  All the usaual baseball insiders consider this done ... including the (passed) physical.

The only denials are from Melvin & (Garza).

... hoping the "On Deck" event today casts some light on the subject.

boowrestle

you can run but you cannot hide.