IT IS TIME! – Badgers Ready for Big Ten Championships by Kirk Nelson

Started by TomM, March 04, 2022, 10:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onwisconsin

Quote from: tigerking on March 07, 2022, 04:58:54 AM
Quote from: tex on March 06, 2022, 09:11:50 PM
Well the tourney is over.  What are your thoughts on overall performance.  8th place, is that where we expected to be?  Did Badgers underperform, over perform or just hold serve.  I know there has been talk of a top ten finish in two weeks, is that still a reasonable goal.  Interested in everyone's thoughts.  What would talk be if Barry's badgers finished 8th.

This weekend was mixed results for the Badgers. Guys like Barnett, Gomez, and Hamiti looked phenomenal. I thought Model wrestled tough after losing to Berge first round and battling all the way back to qualifiy.

Burwick has been underwhelming all year and lost to Hudkins twice.

I thought Zargo was going to make a run after beating Duncan again, but I believe that was the second time he lost to the guy from Northwestern. Not sure what I think about Zargo. I hope he gets into the tournament because he has the potential to make a run.

McNally looks like he didn't want to wrestle this last year.

Weiler is hit and miss. Did his job to qualify, but I find myself always hoping for more with this guy.

Amos struggles to win the close matches. Not sure if he will figure it out by NCAAs.

Hillger was not impressive against Luffman. He seems like a guy that always turns it on at NCAAs.

I would say it was not a great weekend for the Badgers, but it was an improvement from last year.

I completely agree on all Tiger King. 

I do believe the program is trending in the right direction, but results don't fully show it.  I was hoping/expecting much better in the first consolation round where only Model won.  That was the most disheartening part of the weekend. 

I am very happy with the direction of the program.   We were way more fun to watch this season, than other seasons.   I believe this will translate onto the mat in the future.  Really hope we can win some big recruiting battles, because I believe in our staff and the culture being created. 

Looking forward to Detroit. 

onwisconsin

To answer the Barry question.  I liked Barry, but believed it was time for a change if we wanted the program to reach new heights.   I want the program to reach new heights and I am very happy with our staff.   I like the culture, I believe, they are creating. We know the staff is working their butt off.

I liked what I saw on the mat during duals.   We definitely don't have the depth in the room that the top teams have in the country.  Until we have that we will always be left wanting more.  However wanting more is a great thing.

onwisconsin

On Braxton.  I remember him during the World Team and Olympic trials being a brute and aggressive right from the start.  Kind of how we have seen Gomez. 
I can't wait to see that Braxton again.  Aggressive from the start and able to flow to different positions from the movement he creates.  I just wonder what weight we will see him at.  I wish college had a 210/220 weight class.

Barnett has made a huge jump this year.  Awesome to watch.  He has a couple studs in front of him.

Burwick honestly doesn't seem like he improved this season.  He finished last season stronger if I remember. 

Zargo has done better than I expected this season.  I believe his ceiling is very high.  Fun to watch.

Gomez - We are blessed to have him.

Model - very happy for him.

Hamiti - Fantastic.  Wait til he gets stronger.   Top of the podium a legit goal.

McNally - Agree with Tiger King

Weiler - Agree with Tiger King

Braxton - see above

Trent - I thought he improved during the regular season.   He didn't have it this tournament.  I expect better in Detroit.

Have a great day everyone.

DocWrestling

Not saying this is right or wrong

Coming into the season everyone expected more out of McNally, Weiler, and Amos.  All were below expectations

I think all were hoping for another step from Hilger-  He has underperformed any preseason expectations

Burwick and Model did about what I expected so met expectations

Zargo has probably slightly exceeded expectations

Barnett and Gomez have exceeded expectations

Hamiti has greatly exceeded expectations.

Not saying preseason excitement and expectations are right but really only 3 guys exceeded expectations.  I still like Bono better than Davis on the mat and off the mat in terms of coaching style and all the intangibles the program needs.  Younger was better.

Placing only 4 wrestlers in the top 8 at Big Tens was below my expectations
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

onwisconsin

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2022, 09:31:38 AM

Coming into the season everyone expected more out of McNally, Weiler, and Amos.  All were below expectations

I think all were hoping for another step from Hilger-  He has underperformed any preseason expectations

Not saying preseason excitement and expectations are right but really only 3 guys exceeded expectations.  I still like Bono better than Davis on the mat and off the mat in terms of coaching style and all the intangibles the program needs.  Younger was better.

That is a very truthful and realistic summary Doc.  Thank you.

vsmf2010

I offer another perspective.

7 qualifiers with a shot at all 10
Likely 3 top 5 seeds at the NCAA's
3 top 3 at the Big 10's
2 Finalists
Same # of Big 10 champs as Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern
More champs than Ohio St, Nebraska, and Rutgers
2 for 2 against top seeded OSU wrestlers in the final session of the Big 10's
12-2 dual meet record including 6 wins over top 20 teams Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, Northern Iowa and Cornell

littleguy301

125 is a top tier NCAA guy top 8
133 is a work in progress who will have a great chance to improve
141 has potential but give the guy some more time, he is young
149 great transfer and a great chance to AA and possibly very high
157 is a hard worker and good team guy
165 is a stud in waiting thought the time is now. High AA
174 filled a spot and was a good dual guy
184 see above
197 is a work in progress but has potential
HWT is having a mystery year but is also a gamer so.......

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Let's give the guys some time. Last fall I remember seeing post that Amos was or could be a top 5 or 3 guy at the NCAA. Boy with how tough the NCAA are that was a monster out on the limb. I wondered if he could even be top 5 in the big 10.

Amos has an incredible skill level but in the past year he was training freestyle/Greco. That is great but where is the top/bottom position work being done. That is a learned skill that only comes in a college room. Looking back at the season you could see some struggles in those 2 spots. Not saying Amos can devolpe but training freestyle and Greco only takes away some valuable mat time. Also he competed at 213 pounds and the cut down for an entire college season becomes very difficult especially taking some losses and injuries plus managing your weight.

I think in todays world of instant success we forget or get mad when this freshman arent the second coming of so and so. Burroughs took some time to place/win the NCAA. So has many also. Trevor brandvold comes to mind. Once he got his wheels under him and at a weight he was comfortable at he had an outstanding career as has many of the past Badger greats. Just give these guys some time and I do see this as a fun team that is on the up swing. Much different than the last few years of Davis.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

That is a positive outlook but really focuses on 3 of our 10 wrestlers, one of which is a transfer.

Do you really think we will get 3 wild cards?  I don't.

The Big Ten is brutal so placing 9th is still impressive and qualifying for the national tournament is impressive.

The team overall came up big at times to have a great dual season.

Individually all you can do is evaluate on their expectations.  Can't expect that every wrestler can place top 5 in Big Tens.

8th as a team in the Big Ten is about where I think most expected UW to be.

125- Seeded 3rd, finished 2nd (+1)- Did not beat anyone seeded higher and did not lose to anyone seeded lower
133- Seeded 11th, finished 11th (Even)- Beat #10, did not lose to anyone seeded lower
141- Seeded 8th, finished ? (-1)-  Did not beat anyone seeded higher but did lose to #10
149- Seeded 2nd, finished 1st (+1)- Beat #1 seed
157- Seeded 7th, finished 7th (even) Beat #6 seed, Lost to #10 seed (should not have been a #10 seed)
165- Seeded 3rd, finished 3rd (even)- beat #1 seed,
174- Seeded 11th, finished 10th (+1), beat #10 seed
184- Seeded 11th, finished 12th after two Medical forfeits (-1)- beat #6 seed, lost to #12 seed
197- Seeded 8th, finished 10th after medical forfeit (-2), lost to #9
285- Seeded 7th, finished 9th (-2), lost to #9
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

fastnfurious

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7562356-every-ranked-wrestler-not-qualified-for-ncaasyet Take a look at this. I originally thought three wildcards was unlikely as well, but after looking at these lists for those three weight classes, and looking at the resumes for this season of those wrestlers and their results against each other, I think there's a pretty good chance all three Badgers get in.

vsmf2010

Quote from: fastnfurious on March 07, 2022, 04:54:14 PM
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7562356-every-ranked-wrestler-not-qualified-for-ncaasyet Take a look at this. I originally thought three wildcards was unlikely as well, but after looking at these lists for those three weight classes, and looking at the resumes for this season of those wrestlers and their results against each other, I think there's a pretty good chance all three Badgers get in.

Agreed, I thought Zargo was in easy, Burwick would be close and McNally was out but after digging in Zargo should be in but not easy with 3 tops guys not wrestling in. Burwick looks like somewhere between 2nd and 5th for 4 spots depending on they look at it. Much tougher schedule than any of them, a win over a qualifier (Gliva), most of his losses to qualifiers and a win over LaJoie from Cornell who he is competing with for a spot. McNally split with Shannon but won most recently which should put him in the 4 spot out of 4. That is assuming Foca and O'Reilly can go. Foca got a concussion so tough to know if he can recover in time and I do not know the status of O'Reilly.

PAUL

I could be wrong, but it seems like over the past few years we've always pulled for some wildcards and ended up disappointed.  Given the incredible toughness of the Big 10, I think any of them could make an impact so it would be nice to see any or all of them get in.  I am hoping for the best (all 3) but expecting the worst. 

Harris

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 07, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

3 top 3 at the Big 10's
2 Finalists
12-2 dual meet record including 6 wins over top 20 teams Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, Northern Iowa and Cornell

This is how I see it as well!  Great season and looking to finish strong at NCAA's.  I love this team, the coaching staff, and the fan support.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on March 07, 2022, 07:36:19 PM

3 top 3 at the Big 10's
2 Finalists

This is how I see it as well!  Great season and looking to finish strong at NCAA's.  I love this team, the coaching staff, and the fan support.

I really love this team too. I have been watching Badger wrestling a long long time and this my favorite team to watch ever! I love how they get after it, compete and support each other!

Also just in case anyone forgot. Last years squad was 12th at the Big Ten tournament qualified 3 and got 1 at large bid (Barnett).

7 to 10 this year in a historically difficult year due to the extra Covid eligibility. That is with only 2 super seniors. Iowa has 5, Michigan has 4 etc...

onwisconsin

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 07, 2022, 09:34:37 PM
Quote from: Harris on March 07, 2022, 07:36:19 PM

3 top 3 at the Big 10's
2 Finalists

I really love this team too. I have been watching Badger wrestling a long long time and this my favorite team to watch ever! I love how they get after it, compete and support each other!

Also just in case anyone forgot. Last years squad was 12th at the Big Ten tournament qualified 3 and got 1 at large bid (Barnett).

7 to 10 this year in a historically difficult year due to the extra Covid eligibility. That is with only 2 super seniors. Iowa has 5, Michigan has 4 etc...

Great perspective on the growth.