Worst rule in wrestling? What is it? Get rid of 1-2-2 periods!

Started by DocWrestling, February 21, 2016, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

The worst rule in wrestling has always been a pet peeve of mine and that is the fact that not all high school wrestling matches are 2-2-2.

This time of year when all regional and sectional matches are 2-2-2 always makes me think of that rule.

Why once you lose in a tourney do we change the rules and make it 1-2-2.  Is it only because we are trying to save time?  What else can be the reason?  Do the matches on the consolation side not mean as much so lets just get them over faster?

Why are not all JV matches 2-2-2 also?  They are high school wrestlers.  Is it a again just to save time?

I would like to know the history of this rule and who thought it up and what their reasoning was.

Greco and freestyle do not change the length of periods?

For all the hard work wrestlers put in I just never understood why we shortchange them. Why do we change the rules once you have lost?  Lets stop shortchanging those that lost and also the JV's
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imwi

Rule?  I don't think there is any "rule" governing this. It's left up to who ever is running the tournament.  Does seem odd that Regionals & Sectionals are 2-2-2 for all matches but that changes this coming week at States.

I agree with you 100% everything should be 2 2 2 .  The only reason not to do it is to save time.  Even when you make the argument that if you wrestle 2-1-1 you only have to wait 30 minutes in between matches, that's still an effort to save time.

woody53

It is a NHFS Rule.Rule 6-1 Art. 2. It can be one Minute in Length.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

DarkKnight

I hate when a 3rd place match at big tournament (say OTW) is a 1-2-2. totally kills the first period.

imwi

Quote from: woody53 on February 21, 2016, 10:20:48 AM
It is a NHFS Rule.Rule 6-1 Art. 2. It can be one Minute in Length.

Yes, it's allowed, agree.  My point was there isn't a rule that mandates it, it's up to whoever is running the tournament.  Maybe I misunderstood the OP's point, maybe that's the rule he is complaining about, the one that allows it

Army Ant

I don't see a way around this if it is in the NFHS rule book. Make a WIAA-specific rule that disallows 1-2-2 periods? That would be tough to pass. I think it is good that you give tournaments that flexibility. Not sure if you are asking for a WIAA-specific rule or just wishing that schools didn't use that option as often.

We go 1-2-2 for the 3rd & 5th place matches at Individual State, right? These are obviously big matches. I do wonder why we do that.

DocWrestling

If it is not a rule (did not know that it was not), is there any tournament in the state besides regionals or sectionals that has every match be 2-2-2.

Seems to be standard operating procedure if not specifically a rule?

What would officials, coaches, wrestlers say if we were to run every match 2-2-2 at the Marty Loy Classic which I do have some control over.

Heck we run our JV matches 2-1-1.  As tourney director I always feel that I work for the coaches.  Would the coaches want all JV and varsity matches to be 2-2-2?  I wonder now that it seems it is an actual choice?

davebrandvold

Separate JV out for a moment.  Many times JV's run 2-1-1 or 1-2-2 if the wrestler is to wrestle multiple times during a dual meet.  This does make sense as one wrestler may wrestle twice while his two opponents wrestle once each. Some combo-Varsity and JV tournaments may also run shorter times in order to finish prior to the final round(s) of a varsity tourney.  HS football-basketball JV and frosh games are usually always shorter.

As a former coach and now official, I agree that all HS matches be 2-2-2.  The rule states that matches can be shortened but they do not have to be shortened.   It does save time.  I'm sure we can compute how much time it does save.  It can completely change the match.   
The first takedown is critical in a 1-2-2 as the opposing wrestler has little chance to work for an escape and it also allows for a wrestler to  avoid a stall.   

Remembering stats from when I coached, the first takedown at state in 2-2-2 for matches my wrestlers competed gave the first takedown a 72% chance of winning the match while the first takedown in a 1-2-2 I know the stat was something above 90%. 
The odds of coming out of the first period 3-2 or 2-1 are minimal.    Taking someone to their back does not give you as much time to secure the fall which of course can change the entire match.

I agree.  If I could change two rules it would be to eliminate 1-2-2 and expand the mat to make the out of bounds rule similar to college.

DocWrestling

Great post.  Nothing to disagree with there.  I agree that it changes the match.

The state tournament should be the first to change.

littleguy301

Mr Brandvold,

I agree with your thoughts on the 1-2-2. I also feel that way. I know in middle school how important that first takedown is and how in just 1 minute periods it changes the match so much not to say if that kid catches their oppnent and gets a 2 near fall. Match is darn near over at that point. Though in high school you still have that 2-2 minute periods to try to make it up.

I do have a question with how they call the college circle going into high school. I think personally at the high school level it becomes more of a judge ment call and the out of bounds rules will change from ref to ref and cause some serious head scratching.

Mr Brandvold, I do ask for the second rule you said, how should it be installed into the rules for high school? I would like to hear some good reasons other than my thoughts.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Usually in regionals and conference you get enough time to go 2-2-2 for those matches, so I would just do that. 1 minute ain't enough time to break a sweat.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

Worst rule IMO is the 45 min rule. Change to 30 min and 15 min (in a match scheduled for 4 min or less, ie a 2-1-1 in JV).

But I concur that at the state tournament, all matches should be 2-2-2. It's as if in the NCAA basketball tournament they shorten the 2nd period to 15 min. Doesn't make any sense.

MarkK

I'm all for changing this rule.  I don't get it.  The wrestlers who lost in the first place need to work on their takedowns in real match situations.  Most matches now take place in tournaments.   This is something that should be changed.   
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

davebrandvold

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 21, 2016, 09:12:54 PM
Mr Brandvold,

I agree with your thoughts on the 1-2-2. I also feel that way. I know in middle school how important that first takedown is and how in just 1 minute periods it changes the match so much not to say if that kid catches their oppnent and gets a 2 near fall. Match is darn near over at that point. Though in high school you still have that 2-2 minute periods to try to make it up.

I do have a question with how they call the college circle going into high school. I think personally at the high school level it becomes more of a judge ment call and the out of bounds rules will change from ref to ref and cause some serious head scratching.

Mr Brandvold, I do ask for the second rule you said, how should it be installed into the rules for high school? I would like to hear some good reasons other than my thoughts.

The out of bounds varies when you are on the feet or on the mat.   The key is one supporting point from either wrestler out of bounds.  Or during a lift if one wrestler is supporting the other while stepping out of bounds, the wrestlers are out.  Two feet of a single wrestler while the other wrestler is completely in is in.   On the mat one supporting point of each such as each knee, a hand and opponents knee is technically out. many refs use more judgement on the mat depending on action and movement back into bounds.  On the feet it is a little more clear cut.

The only way to use the college rule would be enlarge the wrestling space.  Schools would need two foot extensions on the edge of the mats in order for more space for wrestling.  Doubtful that will happen.   Reasons...kids can't run away and there are much fewer stops and starts.