I know this is a crazy question but…

Started by vsmf2010, March 07, 2016, 02:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barou

Quote from: Micah on March 08, 2016, 09:34:41 PM
I thought as long as they are in the B10 the B10 won't let them.  Some rule about being required to maintain so many Olympic sports.  I could be way off on this though.

I believe Jason Bryant disproved that notion a couple of years ago.  A misconception among fans. I've never heard about uw wrestling being on the chopping block and with btn revenue the conference is healthier in maintaining non revenue sports but I can't say I would be shocked.
JHI Mafia

littleguy301

Quote from: shakerag on March 08, 2016, 09:23:54 PM
Some people I talk wrestling with have floated the idea that Barry Davis will be the last coach of UW wrestling.  The program will be dropped when he retires.

I hope not but I guess at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

I heard grumblings some time back but that is all it is, grumblings.

I wouldnt be shocked though but with the other big 10 schools still having wrestling I believe their would be some pressure to keep it from the other conference schools.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I will admit, that I havent been the nicest about BD. I agree with the title of this thread and I will take it 1 step further.

With Medbury coming back next year, Wisconsin could have 3 guys competing for the National Championship. I am not saying they are all going to win but I  personally think that going into to next year Taylor, Jordan and Medbury could all be ranked in the top 3 in their respective weight classes.

If those 3 do all compete for the national title or all 3 finish in the top 3, Wisconsin should be top ten on those 3 along or really close so..............
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

crossface21

I thought as long as they are in the B10 the B10 won't let them.  Some rule about being required to maintain so many Olympic sports.  I could be way off on this though.

I've kinda heard the same thing. In order to be in the Big Ten, a school needs to field a wrestling team? In any case, the University of Wisconsin-a Big Ten school-a major educational institution-a member of a Power 5 conference- can't figure out how to have a baseball team. That in itself is absurd as well so I guess not having a wrestling team wouldn't surprise me either. 

vsmf2010

Quote from: crossface21 on March 09, 2016, 07:07:44 AM

I've kinda heard the same thing. In order to be in the Big Ten, a school needs to field a wrestling team? In any case, the University of Wisconsin-a Big Ten school-a major educational institution-a member of a Power 5 conference- can't figure out how to have a baseball team. That in itself is absurd as well so I guess not having a wrestling team wouldn't surprise me either. 

I too think it is ridiculous that the UW is the only Big Ten team without baseball. I have heard a number that has been floating around as far as how much money would need to be raised to bring back baseball. It is a pretty big number but I think it could be done.

Micah

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 09, 2016, 08:56:26 AM

I too think it is ridiculous that the UW is the only Big Ten team without baseball. I have heard a number that has been floating around as far as how much money would need to be raised to bring back baseball. It is a pretty big number but I think it could be done.

Baseball is really expensive,  first couple months of the season is all played down south.  The college baseball season started a few weeks ago down here.  College of Charleston played their first game Feb 19th.  You think it is hard to compete in wrestling being from WI just imagine baseball.  It is played year round down here, not just soft toss in a gym, actual games.  There is a reason you hardly ever see a B10 team at the college world series.  Baseball down here is a whole different world.  Similar gap as wrestling in the North compared to the South.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Micah on March 09, 2016, 09:09:34 AM

Baseball is really expensive,  first couple months of the season is all played down south.  The college baseball season started a few weeks ago down here.  College of Charleston played their first game Feb 19th.  You think it is hard to compete in wrestling being from WI just imagine baseball.  It is played year round down here, not just soft toss in a gym, actual games.  There is a reason you hardly ever see a B10 team at the college world series.  Baseball down here is a whole different world.  Similar gap as wrestling in the North compared to the South.

Speaking of the north south gap. I have heard wrestling is really growing in TX. With how big football is down there and the number of athletes I have thought for a long time TX was a sleeping giant. I heard during the Big 12 telecast that there are more girls HS wrestling teams in TX now than boys teams in OK.

Micah

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 09, 2016, 10:43:40 AM

Speaking of the north south gap. I have heard wrestling is really growing in TX. With how big football is down there and the number of athletes I have thought for a long time TX was a sleeping giant. I heard during the Big 12 telecast that there are more girls HS wrestling teams in TX now than boys teams in OK.

Nickal is from Texas

crossface21

Texas has been growing as far as wrestling and it's really been gaining steam the 10 years or so from what I've read/heard.

I don't think anyone disputes that the baseball up here is not even in the same league as down south. By weather alone, the kids down south get a ton more practice time.

As for the cost of baseball, it's always been said that it's a Title IX casualty. I only think the money is a small reason why they don't have a team. IIRC, UW is one of the few Power 5 conference teams that actually makes a profit, I could be wrong on that.

vsmf2010

Quote from: crossface21 on March 09, 2016, 11:55:36 AM

Texas has been growing as far as wrestling and it's really been gaining steam the 10 years or so from what I've read/heard.

I don't think anyone disputes that the baseball up here is not even in the same league as down south. By weather alone, the kids down south get a ton more practice time.

As for the cost of baseball, it's always been said that it's a Title IX casualty. I only think the money is a small reason why they don't have a team. IIRC, UW is one of the few Power 5 conference teams that actually makes a profit, I could be wrong on that.

While I think Title IX is a good thing the #'s of football players make it tough on universities to keep and add non-revenue sports like baseball and wrestling etc... If revenue sports were pulled out the equation it might be a little more equitable as far as #'s of male and female athletes competing outside of those revenue sports.

I have heard that competitive dance and cheer can be counted toward title IX because they compete and that could help to add back some of the men's sports that were casualties. Still have to come up with the money from somewhere which would likely be donors/boosters.

maggie

I'm out of my League here, so i can't say Nothing... :-X
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

wrestlemania

To me, debating the question it's just pointless. I stated why in other posts BD isn't going anywhere. BA is not going to fire the winningest coach in UW history for some standard of success the program has never achieved before. And the problems with the program keeping it from the top half of the Big Ten are deeper than just who the coach is. However the new coach is (and it's not going to be too far down the road) going to inherit those problems and how they fix or deal with the will determine how successful they (and limit the scope of who the UW can hire).

The one thing wrestling has going for it is its cheapness. Compared to baseball and hockey, it really is much less expensive to have a wrestling program. All you need is a mat and some gear and of course the bodies too but that's it.  Since UW already meets its Title IX requirements and wrestling has virtually no impact on the bottom line, why cut it? The reason baseball hasn't come back to UW is because of those Title IX problems, not because of cost (although that is a factor, along with finding a place to play on campus.) Until another women's sport comes along UW wishes to fun like lacrosse for example, there will be no baseball at UW.