Why the double standard?

Started by thedecider, March 07, 2016, 12:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedecider

I've been catching up on local news that I missed this weekend.  It seems that BA fired the women's basketball coach.  

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-uw-fires-coach-bobbie-kelsey/article_e3c340ea-013b-5dc3-b7a9-ef39b90c591d.html

I found this article especially interesting

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-barry-alvarez-wants-next-coach-to/article_28a3f626-53c1-5779-a77d-bc12dbb6c196.html

It echos a lot of things we talk about/want in a wrestling coach.

To me it seems that UW women's basketball is held to a higher standard than UW wrestling.

wrestler_73

I read the same article and thought the same thing...it only took them 5 years to make that decision.  We are going on over 20 years.  I see many of the Barry fans are content with a 8th place finish in the Big Ten and once again the "wait til next year" mantra is loud and clear. 

bigoil

I do think one major difference in what Coco is pointing out is that UWGB is a competing D1 basketball program, in state and have won every year, mostly with in state talent. A quick look at this years team, 11/14 were from WI, usually the best talent in the state ends up at UWGB, with the occasional exceptional talent heading out of state. UW has 5/15 in state and doesn't win....

I doubt most of us are schooled in the talent pool of WI HS girls hoops vs that of PA like we are for wrestling so hard to compare beyond this. Alvarez sees tiny little UWGB win every year with in state talent and wants it done at the UW. There is no competition in wrestling in state at the D1 level.

vsmf2010

Not sure if this is apples to apples but you ask a fair question.

WBB last 5 years
9 out of 12
11 out of 12
11 out of 12
11 out of 14
13 out of 14

Quote from Barry A.

"I see a lot of players from Wisconsin starting at a lot of other places and (being) successful," Alvarez said. "You have a lot to sell here and I don't see why this shouldn't garner the interest of a number of coaches."

I do not think you can say there are a lot of wrestlers from Wisconsin having success. There are a few over several years having great success (Askrens, KC, and AD) and a few more having success. I am not coming up with a lot of other AA's recently. I know I can name way more who have left other states IL, OH, PA, NJ, CA, etc and have AA'ed or won titles.

To your point Women's BB is a higher profile sport and they play at the Kohl Center so there may be a higher premium put on performance. Probably more tradition with Wrestling but more to sell as far as facilities with WBB.  

Also in an individual sport you can have individual success without as much team success which creates a more murky evaluation. Having AA's in an individual sport is a great thing. Having AA's in a team sport on a crappy team creates questions about coaching.

Micah

This coach has to be fairly new, cause when I was still living in WI I think the coach was Lisa Stone.  That's within 6 yrs.

Barou

It is a double standard.  I think the answer is quite obvious though.  BA is buddies with BD.
JHI Mafia

Musky Hunter

Quote from: Micah on March 07, 2016, 12:50:25 PM
This coach has to be fairly new, cause when I was still living in WI I think the coach was Lisa Stone.  That's within 6 yrs.

Check out how Lisa is doing on her new gig.  They are killin it.  Congrats to her.  Great person and comes from a great family.  I think they set a school record for wins. 

Micah

Quote from: Musky Hunter on March 07, 2016, 01:06:00 PM

Check out how Lisa is doing on her new gig.  They are killin it.  Congrats to her.  Great person and comes from a great family.  I think they set a school record for wins. 

Wait so WI is not a hotbed for women's hoops? 

Musky Hunter

Quote from: Micah on March 07, 2016, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: Musky Hunter on March 07, 2016, 01:06:00 PM

Wait so WI is not a hotbed for women's hoops? 

Lol- you tell me. 

Micah

I have no idea but based on state demographics I would think WI doesn't produce lots of Bball talent for men or women.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: Micah on March 07, 2016, 01:27:56 PM
I have no idea but based on state demographics I would think WI doesn't produce lots of Bball talent for men or women.
[/qu[ftp]

Agree.  Let us just say Arike Ogunbowale was a star and UW had zero chance of getting her last year.  

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Micah on March 07, 2016, 01:27:56 PM

Nope just 2 MacDonald AA last year. A couple of the top recruits in college basketball.

wrestlemania

Because Barry Davis has a coaching record of 220-162-11 while Kelsey's record was 47-100, including a 19-65 in the Big Ten. Davis has more wins than any other UW coach in program history was named national coach of the year in 2010. Kelsey was just 47-100 in five seasons.

So what double standard are you talking about?

Is BD helped by the fact he's buddies with his boss? inappropriate term3 yes. It helps a lot. Deal with it.

Harris

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 13, 2016, 09:59:56 AM
Because Barry Davis has a coaching record of 220-162-11 while Kelsey's record was 47-100, including a 19-65 in the Big Ten. Davis has more wins than any other UW coach in program history was named national coach of the year in 2010. Kelsey was just 47-100 in five seasons.

So what double standard are you talking about?

Is BD helped by the fact he's buddies with his boss? blazes yes. It helps a lot. Deal with it.

I love when someone uses facts to answer a question.  Great post!

gablesgrip1

How about the double standard with the WSJ, the coverage girls and boys basketball gets over wrestling.  I understand that basketball is more popular, but the coverage is not even close between the two sports.