Nice showing at Big Tens

Started by Ghetto, March 06, 2016, 07:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

Quote from: mkm13 on March 10, 2016, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on March 09, 2016, 07:33:45 PM

I do agree that it is likely Barry will allow somebody
to challenge Peissig at 197 lbs next year.

Not sure why this is even a question, Peissig is not a big 10 level wrestler.  Assuming Ritter can grow into a good sized 197 and Robertson can figure out how to wrestler 174, our ideal lineup is:

125 Jimenez
133 Taylor
141 Stickley/Martin
149 Crone
157 Ruschell
165 Jordan
174 Robertson
184 Christensen
197 Ritter
Hwt Medbery

Maybe Christensen will try 174 next year and move Robertson back to 184?  Hopefully Robertson/Christensen/Ritter can figure out their weights to fill 174/184/197 and compete at a high level.  It appears at this point, the best weight for all 3 of them might be 184.

I agree, figuring out those three weights with those three guys will be key.  I don't expect those weights to AA but for duals and picking up a few wins at nationals they are important, at the top it is the team that has a fringe guy win matches and maybe sneak into an AA spot that makes the difference.

wrastle63

BOO CM will NOT lose to Stoll. Also I think CM will beat Coon.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Micah on March 10, 2016, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 10, 2016, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on March 09, 2016, 07:33:45 PM

I do agree that it is likely Barry will allow somebody
to challenge Peissig at 197 lbs next year.

Not sure why this is even a question, Peissig is not a big 10 level wrestler.  Assuming Ritter can grow into a good sized 197 and Robertson can figure out how to wrestler 174, our ideal lineup is:

125 Jimenez
133 Taylor
141 Stickley/Martin
149 Crone
157 Ruschell
165 Jordan
174 Robertson
184 Christensen
197 Ritter
Hwt Medbery

Maybe Christensen will try 174 next year and move Robertson back to 184?  Hopefully Robertson/Christensen/Ritter can figure out their weights to fill 174/184/197 and compete at a high level.  It appears at this point, the best weight for all 3 of them might be 184.

I agree, figuring out those three weights with those three guys will be key.  I don't expect those weights to AA but for duals and picking up a few wins at nationals they are important, at the top it is the team that has a fringe guy win matches and maybe sneak into an AA spot that makes the difference.

Right on. To be a consistent top 10 contender you ideally have a shot at a qualifier at every weight, a few high seed AA guys and a few more low seed/unseeded guys who can make a run at a top 12/8 with a good tournament and the right draw.

I think next years lineup on paper has a shot to look like that.

This year I would say we went into the season with a shot at qualifier at 8 weights, expected 2 high seeds, and the thought that Ricky could be a top 12/8 guy. Ended up with 5 qualis, 1 high seed, and a great shot at 2 AA's. Hopping the other 3 can wrestle really well, win some matches, and see how far they can take it.  

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 10, 2016, 11:39:58 AM
BOO CM will NOT lose to Stoll. Also I think CM will beat Coon.

I agree. Prior to Snyder's return, I thought CM would be the favorite next year. Most freestyle guys who take a ORS come back even better on their feet and that is most of the story at HWT. Mat wrestling is just not as big of a deal there because all the top guys usually get out and CM is just fine on the mat.

Snyder is the wild card. Not sure if he will be back and not sure of that match up with CM. Might have a better idea after next weekend.

boowrestle

I said possibily the 4th best in Big10 and I might be mistaken but pretty sure Medbury  is 1-3 against Coon,just frustrates me sometimes to see how some people talk about how much talent is coming up in the Badgers room.Sure a lot of talented kids but not Big10/Div1 talent ???
you can run but you cannot hide.

Jimmy

Does lubeck have a yr. left? Would like to see him take a crack at fifty seven .

vsmf2010

Quote from: boowrestle on March 10, 2016, 12:16:29 PM
I said possibily the 4th best in Big10 and I might be mistaken but pretty sure Medbury  is 1-3 against Coon,just frustrates me sometimes to see how some people talk about how much talent is coming up in the Badgers room.Sure a lot of talented kids but not Big10/Div1 talent ???

That may be true but I do not see how that applies to CM. He is certainly a proven commodity. I could only find 2 matches between CM and Coon. Both last year and they split.

Last year he had wins over Bobby Telford, Adam Coon, Collin Jensen, Ty Walz, Mike McMullan, Billy Smith, Brooks Black, Michael Kroells, Austin Marsden, and Denzel Dejournette.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Jimmy on March 10, 2016, 12:37:35 PM
Does lubeck have a yr. left? Would like to see him take a crack at fifty seven .

Yes he will be a RS Sr next year. Would certainly think he will be in the mix somewhere. Cannot imagine him going down to 41 again so that leaves 57 or 49.

DocWrestling

If Ritter is as good as advertised I think we will see him at 184.  That means RR has to decide if he can make 174 again for an entire season or does he bulk up to try and wrestle 197 which could be very tough for him

Christensen may be a guy that then has to bump up to 197.

I think there are going to be some serious discussions and battles with those three to decide who wrestles where next year.  They will need to decide on a plan by late summer.  All three would probably be best at 184.

Reinhardt is another possibility at 197.  Not sure how he competes with the three guys above.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrastle63

Reinhardt and Ritter have done very similar at the opens.

DocWrestling

I am guessing a wide open wrestle off for 184 and others have to move up or down.  Obviously though if someone wants to go for 197 then they are going to want to really bulk up and not worry about making 184 in the fall so some decisions need to be made.

Still think Peissig could make a jump after experiencing this year and may be tough to beat if those other guys remain small.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

billymurphy

Ritter, Reinhardt and Christensen all wrestled at 184 lbs this past season.
Robertson should have been competing at 184 this past season- went from Hulk(184) to Bruce Banner(174)

*Robertson was beating Peissig in the room without much problem prior to dropping to 174.
-Taylor, Jordan and Medbery appear to be vastly better than the 4th best wrestler on the team.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 10, 2016, 03:51:39 PM
Reinhardt and Ritter have done very similar at the opens.

Ritter beat Reinhardt 7-2

Ritter was 18-2
Reinhardt was 15-8

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove