Some big news...

Started by TBrandvold, April 05, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

"We ARE getting to the point where they(the Badgers) are REALLY loading up with some talent...I don't believe we can compete with Penn State or Iowa, but I'd love to be able to get into that top 5-10 overall and maybe make a push and finish 3rd, 4th one year..."

Let's hope so!

JAMMIN

Jered Cortez is special.  He is a very humble kid and has a very solid family.  A phenomenal talent on the mat to say the least.  Whoever lands him is getting a potential superstar.

wrestle03

Jered Cortez is on a whole other level as a wrestler.  Anyone who has had the privilege of watching him in action would agree.
Oh how great it would be to see him in a Badger singlet................I think the chances of that are slim to none.

stp

Quote from: JAMMIN on April 08, 2013, 09:25:09 PM
Jered Cortez is special.  He is a very humble kid and has a very solid family.  A phenomenal talent on the mat to say the least.  Whoever lands him is getting a potential superstar.

The humble part could be debatable. Theirs a reason he ended up in Chicago after a temper tantrum.     

imo- Moving a child at least three times to different schools only because of wrestling raises an eyebrow. 
Wonder if Pat S. and J Rob. would agree. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Gutwrench

Quote from: Scourge on April 08, 2013, 02:59:18 PM
Quote from: imnofish on April 08, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
Meandering is what we do best on these forums!  Keeps it lively!   8)

I didn't mean for my post to come off like that Guttwrench by the way.  But yeah, these threads lead to a lot of interesting conversations.  I never heard of Brill before and looked him up because of the direction of this thread.  

We ARE getting to the point where they(the Badgers) are REALLY loading up with some talent...I don't believe we can compete with Penn State or Iowa, but I'd love to be able to get into that top 5-10 overall and maybe make a push and finish 3rd, 4th one year...

True!  Let's keep the train rolling!
My point in saying "staying on topic" was that I wanted to make sure the new Badger commit got his due praise.  Don't want the kid feeling glossed over by having all this talk about all these other possible recruites in his commit announcement thread.  That's all.  ;D

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Johnny Jimenez is a great pickup !!

Congratulations to Johnny and the coaching staff !!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

JAMMIN

Quote from: stp on April 09, 2013, 08:26:18 AM

The humble part could be debatable. Theirs a reason he ended up in Chicago after a temper tantrum.     

imo- Moving a child at least three times to different schools only because of wrestling raises an eyebrow. 

I only speak about my personal conversations with him at the Cheesehead.  The kid is very likeable. 

Scourge

Quote from: stp on April 09, 2013, 08:26:18 AM

Do you have any personal knowledge of this?  Or are you basing the assumption on the fact that he moved three times.  The temper tantrum part is what I'm questioning. 

billymurphy

Team USA 27, Team Illinois 16
220: No. 14 (at 195) Nathan Rotert (Spearfish/Lead-Deadwood, S.D.) dec. Tom Howell (Marist), 7-2
285: No. 2 Brooks Black (Blair Academy, N.J.) pinned Alex Fritz (Marmion Academy)
113: Sebastian Pique (Carl Sandburg) dec. No. 17 Paul Mascarenas (Cleveland, N.M.), 3-1
120: No. 17 Barlow McGhee (Rock Island) dec. No. 3 Darian Cruz (Bethlehem Catholic, Pa.), 3-1 SV
126: No. 2 Connor Schram (Canon-McMillan, Pa.) dec. No. 17 Jordan Northrup (Machesney Park Harlem), 7-4
132: No. 15 (at 138) Jed Mellen (Payson, Utah) dec. No. 13 George Fisher (Marmion Academy), 6-1
138: Mech Spraggins (Belleville West) dec. No. 4 Mitch Bengtson (St. Cloud Apollo, Minn.), 8-5
145: No. 7 (at 152) Brian Murphy (Glenbard North) dec. No. 1 (at 152) Jake Short (Simley, Minn.), 3-2
152: No. 3 Oliver Pierce (Allen, Texas) dec. No. 6 Kyle Langenderfer (Lincoln-Way East), 4-3
160: No. 2 (at 170) Nick Wanzek (Simley, Minn.) dec. No. 9 Colin Holler (Carl Sandburg), 3-1
170: No. 1 Cody Wiercioch (Canon-McMillan, Pa.) dec. Dan Rowland (Willowbrook), 7-2
182: No. 4 (at 195) Ricky Robertson (Carl Sandburg) maj. dec. Matt Seabold (Burlington, Iowa), 9-0
195: No. 10 Matt McCutcheon (Kiski Area, Pa.) dec. No. 6 Jordan Ellingwood (Plainfield Central, 6-2

imnofish

Looks like a lot of great matches.  The result at 120 doesn't surprise me.  I've seen McGhee a few times and was very impressed.  Also, kind of surprised to see Fritz representing Illinois at 285.  He's a good wrestler, but not especially dominant.  Other potential choices must have been unavailable. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

stp

Quote from: Scourge on April 11, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

Do you have any personal knowledge of this?    The temper tantrum part is what I'm questioning.  

Well, sorta. Was I personally there? No.
Did I hear what happened from people who were present? Yes.  

I'm sure theirs more to the story but sounds like a temper tantrum to me.  
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

billymurphy

I read where Jared Cortez made an unofficial visit to OSU this past weekend.   I also read that Ramos of Iowa (went to same high school) is trying to get him to Iowa.   He is very slick (quick too) so interesting to see where he ends up.  I put Bryce Brill as a guy out of Illinois that even impressed me more when I have seen him compete, but he has been a long time commit to Northwestern.  But still, I think pretty much everybody has them as the number one and number two recruits out of Illinois this coming season.