Some big news...

Started by TBrandvold, April 05, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

I had the pleasure of watching Jimenez wrestle down in Illinois, during his sophomore year.  He's the real deal, for sure.  Looking forward to watching him wrestle for Wisconsin!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

dad 2 5

wonder who else is on the "wish" list for the Badgers?

Scourge

There was a kid who was at maybe 130-135 for Marion a few years ago(2011 I believe) who was just a Sophomore that I thought was awesome.  I believe he'd won state as a Freshmen, won the Cheesehead that year, and won a couple other of the elite tournaments...not sure if he won the Beast of the East, Dvorak, Ironman, but he'd won several huge tournaments.

Anyone familiar with Illinois know who I'm talking about?

Anyway, having inroads at some of these schools is obviously big for us.  Schools like St Paris Graham, Apple Valley, Marion Avademy, obviously Loveland has paid off huge for the Badgers and could give us two high AA's next year, and those schools obviously produce consistent Division One talent.  Obviously Mark Hall comes to mind as well as their other studs. 

And the better guys like Branvold, Graff and Ruschell do in Freestyle, the more that's bound to help us out(not to leave out others like Medberry down the road).   

Houndhead

You may be thinking of Bryce Brill. He is one of the top 145's in the country. He was at Marmiom, but is now at Mt. Carmel, and I think he has verbally committed to Northwestern.

npope

Quote from: Houndhead on April 07, 2013, 03:35:30 PM
You may be thinking of Bryce Brill. He is one of the top 145's in the country. He was at Marmiom, but is now at Mt. Carmel, and I think he has verbally committed to Northwestern.

We all know a verbal ain't worth the paper it's written on; let's get on him!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

Bryce Brill is just flat out fantastic. Northwestern is getting a real good one.

wrestling for fun

Quote from: Scourge on April 07, 2013, 02:18:20 PM
There was a kid who was at maybe 130-135 for Marion a few years ago(2011 I believe) who was just a Sophomore that I thought was awesome.  I believe he'd won state as a Freshmen, won the Cheesehead that year, and won a couple other of the elite tournaments...not sure if he won the Beast of the East, Dvorak, Ironman, but he'd won several huge tournaments.

Anyway, having inroads at some of these schools is obviously big for us.  Schools like St Paris Graham, Apple Valley, Marion Avademy, obviously Loveland has paid off huge for the Badgers and could give us two high AA's next year, and those schools obviously produce consistent Division One talent.  Obviously Mark Hall comes to mind as well as their other studs. 

And the better guys like Branvold, Graff and Ruschell do in Freestyle, the more that's bound to help us out(not to leave out others like Medberry down the road).   

You maybe thinking of Ben Whitford who tranfered to a highschool in Michigan last year.    Will wrestle for U of Michigan.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on April 07, 2013, 03:35:30 PM

No, it was a Ben Whitford.  He was a kid who transferred to Marion Academy going into his freshmen year because his dad got a job in the Chicago area.  He was originally from Michigan and....low and behold, he's at Michigan right now. 

He was one of the kids along with McCauley who stood out at that tournament even with all the studs there.  I thought he was ranked 1st in the nation as a Soph at 130.

Scourge

Quote from: wrestling for fun on April 07, 2013, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: Scourge on April 07, 2013, 02:18:20 PM
There was a kid who was at maybe 130-135 for Marion a few years ago(2011 I believe) who was just a Sophomore that I thought was awesome.  I believe he'd won state as a Freshmen, won the Cheesehead that year, and won a couple other of the elite tournaments...not sure if he won the Beast of the East, Dvorak, Ironman, but he'd won several huge tournaments.

Anyway, having inroads at some of these schools is obviously big for us.  Schools like St Paris Graham, Apple Valley, Marion Avademy, obviously Loveland has paid off huge for the Badgers and could give us two high AA's next year, and those schools obviously produce consistent Division One talent.  Obviously Mark Hall comes to mind as well as their other studs.  

You maybe thinking of Ben Whitford who tranfered to a highschool in Michigan last year.    Will wrestle for U of Michigan.

Should have read all the way down....exactly.  Won pretty handily at the Daper Dan.  Amazing wrestler.  

Oh well, can't get 'em all.  I am curious where he's ranked overall in the top 100 this year by the mat.

In fact Whitford AND Grill both transferred to different schools this past year.  They had the #1 and #2 wrestlers in the nation wrestling at the same school and both transfer out.  That's gotta suck...

oldfan

Whitford and Brill both transferred 2 years ago , Whitford back to St Johns and Brill to Mount Carmel .

Thielke was #1 when Whitford was a Sophomore .

Gutwrench

Back on topic.......  ;)

Three-time state champion Jimenez, only a junior, commits to Wisconsin

April 5, 2013: Johnny Jimenez (Marmion Academy, Ill.), already a three-time state champion, has verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin as part of the Class of 2014. In three seasons of high school wrestling, Jimenez has amassed a record of 112 wins against just seven losses. This past summer, he finished third at the Cadet Nationals in freestyle. Jimenez has placed third and fourth at the Ironman the last two years. Currently he is ranked No. 8 at 120 pounds nationally and No. 44 overall in the Class of 2014.

This is awesome news!!  Good luck this summer and also for your senior year.

Go Badgers!

Houndhead

Quote from: oldfan on April 08, 2013, 09:34:06 AM
Whitford and Brill both transferred 2 years ago , Whitford back to St Johns and Brill to Mount Carmel .

Thielke was #1 when Whitford was a Sophomore .

Jered Cortez, who is the #1 ranked 126 lber in the country was also on that 2010 Marmion team and is now at Glenbard North.

Scourge

Quote from: Gutwrench on April 08, 2013, 11:44:18 AM
Back on topic.......  ;)

Three-time state champion Jimenez, only a junior, commits to Wisconsin

April 5, 2013: Johnny Jimenez (Marmion Academy, Ill.), already a three-time state champion, has verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin as part of the Class of 2014. In three seasons of high school wrestling, Jimenez has amassed a record of 112 wins against just seven losses. This past summer, he finished third at the Cadet Nationals in freestyle. Jimenez has placed third and fourth at the Ironman the last two years. Currently he is ranked No. 8 at 120 pounds nationally and No. 44 overall in the Class of 2014.

This is awesome news!!  Good luck this summer and also for your senior year.

Go Badgers!

"Back," on topic?  This is from the first post and nothing new. 

Just talking about other guys on HIS team at the time as potential targets.

imnofish

Meandering is what we do best on these forums!  Keeps it lively!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Scourge

Quote from: imnofish on April 08, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
Meandering is what we do best on these forums!  Keeps it lively!   8)

Yeah, Jiminez is old NEWS!

I didn't mean for my post to come off like that Guttwrench by the way.  But yeah, these threads lead to a lot of interesting conversations.  I never heard of Brill before and looked him up because of the direction of this thread. 

We ARE getting to the point where they(the Badgers) are REALLY loading up with some talent...I don't believe we can compete with Penn State or Iowa, but I'd love to be able to get into that top 5-10 overall and maybe make a push and finish 3rd, 4th one year...