Started by TomM, February 19, 2015, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

WOW!  I don't need to ever look at their rankings again.

Zeke 6th?  Lol

Richards 5th, and Taylor 7th, what?

Coach Ryan

Haha... look at 141 Dardanes ahead of Steiber....  ::)

Dale Einerson

Think Bradley Taylor could bump up a weight or down a weight so we could get both he and Ryan Taylor in the line up?

jaguarwrestler

isn't rpi based on strength of schedule, matches wrestled at that weight and all that good stuff? so this has nothing to do with opinion as it does a program... correct?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

leg turk

Quote from: Dale Einerson on February 19, 2015, 11:00:42 AM
Think Bradley Taylor could bump up a weight or down a weight so we could get both he and Ryan Taylor in the line up?

That's Ryan's real name.

badgerjohn

This explanation from one year ago.....

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2014/2/22/5436482/wrestling-conference-allocations-explained-ncaa-big-ten-auto-bids-acc-big12-mac-eiwa-ewl

What is RPI?

Rating Percentage Index. Basically, it is strength of schedule. The NCAA multiples your win percentage, your opponents' win percentage, and your opponents' opponents' win percentage, to reach a pure math factor. The higher the factor, the better off you are, because only the Top 33 receive an RPI rank.

Oh by the way - you must have wrestled a minimum of 17 D1 matches in your particular weight class, too. You cannot wrestle 2 matches, win both, and bring a 100% win percentage to the table. However, the 17 match cutoff does not apply to your opponents, nor your opponents' opponents. That is, you don't get penalized for wrestling guys whose season was cut short by injury, or otherwise weren't able to wrestle 17 D1 matches. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Let's use David Taylor as an example. He's undefeated, so his Win% is 1.000 - that's pretty good. The Magic Man has also wrestled just about everyone in the top 10, so his opponents' win% is also above average. Let's call it 0.650. And his opponents' opponents' win percentage? You and I have no idea, of course. But let's just call it 50% - 0.500. Multiply those three percentages: [1.000] x [0.650] x [0.500] = 0.325. Hooray! The 0.325 by itself is meaningless. But, when you perform the same calculation for every wrestler at 165 pounds, and then sort them in descending order (after excluding anyone with fewer than 17 matches)....Ta-Da, you have a usable metric.

If, after all of that multiplication and sorting, you have a Top-33 factor, then you get an RPI. The key gotcha here, of course, is that you must have wrestled at least 17 D1 matches. Otherwise, you're excluded.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

badgerjohn

Ricky 13th at 184 .............. many of the Iowa guys not on the list - don't have minimum 17 against other D1 guys
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

dad 2 5

looking at this, Wisconsin has a LOT of work to do in the B1G tourney