Does J.J get into the NCAA's?

Started by leg turk, February 13, 2015, 07:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

After Thielke did not get selected, but the guy Thielke beat in the 7/8th place match did get selected last year, I do not trust the system.

Huckfinn

Quote from: billymurphy on February 15, 2015, 10:01:01 AM
After Thielke did not get selected, but the guy Thielke beat in the 7/8th place match did get selected last year, I do not trust the system.

OK, there are subjective judgments made, and some guys on bubble will be left out who have good arguments.  What did the guy who JT beat do in the tournament?  Where would JT have placed?     The errors on the last invites are not going to matter much.

How many unseeded guys make round of 12?    I think its very few, but maybe my memory is failing.

Micah

I am not counting him out just not counting him.  Anything can happen, but I don't see anything giving me confidence he qualifies.  If there are only 5 AQ spots, you will have the five guys that earned them plus Delgado.  He will have to beat 2 of those six guys to qualify.  He has not wrestled any of the five AQ wrestlers this year and has lost to 2 guys in B10 that did not earn the AQ spots.  He still has not won a match against a B10 opponent.

I do think he has a lot of potential, I just don't think it materializes this year.  If he were to upset two of those guys I would not be extremely surprised, however, if I were placing bets in Vegas it be that he does not qualify. No chance he gets a wildcard.

badgerjohn

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 15, 2015, 10:29:24 AM
.............. How many unseeded guys make round of 12? ............  

DISCLAIMER: not implying or suggesting anything, just the facts

2007 NCAA Wrestling Championship  3/15/2007 to 3/17/2007 at Auburn Hills, MI

Unseeded 149 Tyler Turner, Wisconsin finished 6th  (all seven matches were against seeded opponents)

beat 9 seed 8-4  Morgan Atkinson, Cal State-Fullerton (dnp)
beat 8 seed 6-0  Aaron Martin, Tennessee-Chattanooga (dnp)
lost  1 seed 6-3   Dustin Schlatter, Minnesota (previous champ, 3rd this time, future 7th, DNQ)
beat 11 seed 8-7  Cyler Sanderson, Iowa State (dnp, future 7th)
beat 4 seed 6-5  Jordan Leen, Cornell  (8th this time, future champ and 3rd)
lost 10 seed 6-5 TB  Lance Palmer, Ohio State (4th this time, future 8th and 4th)
lost 6 seed 6-4  J.P. O'Connor, Harvard (5th this time, future 6th)

Other tidbits from 2007:
14 unseeded entrants finish as AA
Only 4 number 1 seeds finish as champs
Craig Henning, Wisconsin, 7th seed finished 2nd
Max Askren, Missouri, 1 seed goes 0-2
Matt Pell, Missouri, 9th seed finished 3rd, and wins Gorriaran Award
Ben and King Cole each win second title
2 other returning champs (Dustin Schlatter and Johny Hendricks) do not repeat

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Thielke destoyed Sabatello 20-7,  winning at the end of the season at the qualifying tournament, and they had similar records.   The rest of the season mattered more, when historically it never did.  Especially when you finish one spot behind auto qualify.  A bad precedent to set in general by the NCAA I think. 

Also, Dutton of Michigan did not have an AQ spot even though he was ranked in the Top 20, and that caused 141 to only have 6 instead of 7 qualifiers...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If JJ places 6th, wins several matches at the Big Ten, and does not get in, something would be seriously wrong about the system the NCAA has created...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Huckfinn

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 15, 2015, 03:55:56 PM
Thielke destoyed Sabatello 20-7,  winning at the end of the season at the qualifying tournament, and they had similar records.   The rest of the season mattered more, when historically it never did.
Sabatello is candidate for most improved wrestler in B1G this year.   

Manty77

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 15, 2015, 08:50:08 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 15, 2015, 03:55:56 PM
Thielke destoyed Sabatello 20-7,  winning at the end of the season at the qualifying tournament, and they had similar records.   The rest of the season mattered more, when historically it never did.
Sabatello is candidate for most improved wrestler in B1G this year.   
Yeah, Sabatello is 22-5 with big wins over Soto, Gulibon, and Zane Richards. And, oh yes, an 18-6 loss to Ryan Taylor  ;D

Manty77

OK, there are subjective judgments made, and some guys on bubble will be left out who have good arguments.  What did the guy who JT beat do in the tournament?  Where would JT have placed?     The errors on the last invites are not going to matter much.

How many unseeded guys make round of 12?    I think its very few, but maybe my memory is failing.
In 2014 seventeen unseeded wrestlers made the round of 12, with six of them winning and earning AA status. 

Interestingly, the only weight that didn't have an unseeded wrestler advance was 141 - Jesse's weight. 

The weight with the most unseeded wrestlers making the round of 12 was 197, with one of them advancing (Hartmann from Duke).

hammen

I'm a little fuzzy on the rules, but I believe if Delgado gets 2 matches in this coming weekend at the National Duals finals in Iowa City, he is eligible for an AQ spot. I am not quite sure though. If I'm interpreting it correctly, the standard says that a wrestler must have 8 matches wrestled at his respective weight (and I'm pretty sure they have to be against D1 competition). He currently has 6 matches wrestled, all of which are against D1 competition.

That would be huge for qualifying, as JJ would "only" need to place top 6.

Ghetto

Jiminez has to wrestle his way in. Pretty much that simple.

Has anyone confirmed he is wrestling?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Manty77

Just thought of another one.  Ben Jordan was unseeded at 165 in the '12 National tourney.  After losing a close 4 -1 match to the #2 seed he knocked off, in succession, Evans, Sulzer, and Sorenson en route to an AA finish.  So, sometimes those final few at large spots can make a big difference.

hammen

That was such an epic run through the backside that Ben had. Reminded me of the Tyler Turner run as a senior as well.

billymurphy

That was a huge run for Ben.  #3 seed Sorenson,
#5 seed Evans.
Sorenson claimed he had a badly sprained ankle
being his excuse for losing 6-2 to an unseeded guy.

jaguarwrestler

Not to hijack the thread but I think we have 4-5 weights that we could ask this same question... thoughts on 141, 149, 157, 174
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!