Does J.J get into the NCAA's?

Started by leg turk, February 13, 2015, 07:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

What does Jimenez need to do, to get a bid into the NCAA's?  I'm guessing a top 5 finish at Big Tens.

Micah

It will depend on how many Auto Qualifiers the B10 receives at that weight.  Just looking at it your 5 prediction looks to be about right.  Would be six if Delgado had enough matches.  When to the AQs come out?

jaguarwrestler

what determines how many they get at 125? Last year they had 7 at 125 and now they have 2 more teams. I think if he gets a top 7 he might be in, I think only 5-6 ranked inside top 20 at 125 so I like his chances. I don't think he beats any ranked guys but he may be the best of the unranked.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

hammen

I would be very surprised if it was more than 6, and I would a little surprised if it was even 6. Based on rankings and the quality of the field, I think 5 is what it will be. Certainly makes for a tough task, especially since Delgado didn't qualify a spot and will likely take a spot. He will need to beat at least one of Youtsey, Lambert, Conaway, Tomasello, Delgado, Gilman. Depending on the draw and how the bracket plays out, he may need to beat 2 of them.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

125 in particular looks like a low number of auto qualifiers 5 or 6

Most  other weights look like there should be 9 or more...

They go by the last NCAA panel ranking I believe...

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Huckfinn

It doesn't matter if JJ makes NCAAs if he is not competitive.

Looks like he is coming on.   Lets see how he does at Big Tens.  Baby steps.

billymurphy

I predict all the Big Ten weights have no less than 6, including 125 lbs.

npope

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 03:05:08 PM

Looks like he is coming on.   Lets see how he does at Big Tens.  Baby steps.

Well, if you look at the his win-loss record (5-6) at the Badger wrestling page (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wis/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/TeamIndividualResults.pdf), all of his wins came at the beginning of the season and he is on like a 5 match loss losing streak. Of course, he is coming off an illness, which has likely set him back, but he has yet to show that he is "coming on." I just hope he is full strength for the Big Tens.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammen

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa7/release/sites/default/files/images/2015/02/13/coaches-ranking-feb-12_sheet1.pdf

Current coaches poll. Big 12 does not have automatic qualifiers this year. Any spot qualified by a big 12 guy goes to the at large pool. Typically only the top 25-30 qualify a spot for their conference. Currently as follows for B1G in terms of automatic bids.

Big Ten: 5, 12, 11, 7, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10 (91)

****also got this from thematforums like crossface noted in the other thread.

dad 2 5

I think it will be tough for him to get in but I am sure he is being pushed by RT in practice daily and maybe he can pull an upset. With only 5 maybe 6 he really need to use this month well. Looks good for the rest of the team. Should have 8-10 guys in.

Now that I write that, he mostly likely draws the #14 spot which would give him a very tough road to get the several wins he would need.

hammen

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 13, 2015, 05:52:22 PM
I think it will be tough for him to get in but I am sure he is being pushed by RT in practice daily and maybe he can pull an upset. With only 5 maybe 6 he really need to use this month well. Looks good for the rest of the team. Should have 8-10 guys in.

Now that I write that, he mostly likely draws the #14 spot which would give him a very tough road to get the several wins he would need.

They typically only seed to 8, unless there are more than 8 qualified spots, which will be the case in most weights.

Huckfinn

Quote from: npope on February 13, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 03:05:08 PM

Looks like he is coming on.   Lets see how he does at Big Tens.  Baby steps.

Well, if you look at the his win-loss record (5-6) at the Badger wrestling page (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wis/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/TeamIndividualResults.pdf), all of his wins came at the beginning of the season and he is on like a 5 match loss losing streak. Of course, he is coming off an illness, which has likely set him back, but he has yet to show that he is "coming on." I just hope he is full strength for the Big Tens.

He looked pretty good against Jesse Delgado.    That's enough for me to hope.   My praise was rather  faint, no need to snuff   out a single candle.

badgerjohn

Wrestlers in each weight class will be measured by winning percentage, rating percentage index (RPI) and coaches' rankings to earn spots in their qualifying tournaments for the 2015 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. The coaches' rankings are compiled by a vote of coaches representing each qualifying tournament. For ranking purposes, coaches may only consider a wrestler that has been designated as a starter at a respective weight class. In order to be eligible for the rankings, wrestlers must have participated in at least five matches against Division I opponents in the weight class and have wrestled within the last 30 days.

The next round of coaches' panel rankings will be released in conjunction with the RPI and the qualifier allocations for each qualifying tournament at the end of February.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Micah

I would not use the Delgado match as measuring stick. I think he is doing just enough to win right now with the injury.

Will JJ qualify for NCAAs? This prediction will be much easier when AQs are released and the brackets for B10s, too many unknown variables to predict something like this, going on the info we have available right now I would say no. But ask in a few weeks and this answer might change.

TomM

He, Jimenez, is pretty darn tough, IMO.  
The margin of victory is so narrow at this Big Ten level... ANYONE can win on any given day.  I count everyone IN.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wis/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/JohnnyJimenezMatchbyMatch.pdf
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"