At Northwestern 1-9-15

Started by leg turk, December 31, 2014, 11:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

Quote from: OldAbes72 on January 03, 2015, 06:11:01 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 03, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Do you think Ness could bet Storley?

Depends how many times Storley takes the elevator instead of the stairs! 😃

Best post of this entire thread.  <Me>:  "Huh?  Wouldn't taking the stairs be more work than.... Oh I see what you did there!"

leg turk

Quote from: CLC FAN on January 03, 2015, 07:25:09 PM
Quote from: OldAbes72 on January 03, 2015, 06:11:01 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 03, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Do you think Ness could bet Storley?

Depends how many times Storley takes the elevator instead of the stairs! 😃

Best post of this entire thread.  <Me>:  "Huh?  Wouldn't taking the stairs be more work than.... Oh I see what you did there!"

You are comparing Dylan Ness to David Taylor?  That's hilarious.

Barou

Quote from: WW_1995 on January 03, 2015, 07:02:40 PM
I think talented Athletes can bump up one, even two weights in some cases and beat 'average' (by D1 standards) guys, but wouldn't really stand a chance against the cream of the crop in the weights.  One example I can think of recently which has a bit of relevance, Iowas backup 174 - Alex Meyer bumped up two weights to 197 and beat Michigan States starting 197 lber.  Even J'den Cox of Mizzou wrestled at Hwt a bunch this year and even beat a top 12 opponent, maybe multiple at the time. which I would say it comparable to bumping up two weights, as 197 to Hwt can often be a 60-70 lb leap for some competitors.

Askren bumped up to beat kish from mn at national duals. I think kish was 2nd or 3rd the year before.
JHI Mafia

MNbadger

One weight and a rare, unusual circumstance.  Why do you suppose there are weight classes?  If this was a consistently productive strategy, coaches would do it all the time.  They are in the business of winning.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Stripes

Quote from: MNbadger on January 04, 2015, 09:35:37 AM
One weight and a rare, unusual circumstance.  Why do you suppose there are weight classes?  If this was a consistently productive strategy, coaches would do it all the time.  They are in the business of winning.

I think it could have more to do with not having a legitimate backup than in being afraid of bumping up. Do the guys in the practice only have live gos or matches with the other kids at their weight class? If they are wrestling a guy in a higher weight class, do you suppose the lighter guy never thinks he can win? Does the heavier guy take it easy knowing he doesn't have to go as hard since his opponent is 9 pounds lighter?

leg turk

Anybody hear yet if Thielke and Jordan will be wrestling this Friday?

dad 2 5

I think this could be a match-up problem for the Badgers. 18-17. We need to win two of the toss up matches to get to 23-12.

Next big question is did they move the Purdue start time to 4:00 or 5:00 :)

BuckyMatt

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 06, 2015, 08:17:20 PM
I think this could be a match-up problem for the Badgers. 18-17. We need to win two of the toss up matches to get to 23-12.

Next big question is did they move the Purdue start time to 4:00 or 5:00 :)

Great question, conflicting with the Packer game is a sure recipe for low turnout

MNbadger

I hate to complain but this is a huge problem with our sport.
You can't be a serious wrestling fan if you would choose to watch NFL football over "your" wrestling team.
i am a Packer fan too but would never choose it over wrestling.
It is fine if you do, but you can't then complain or wonder: "Why isn't wrestling more popular"? "Why doesn't wrestling get more coverage"?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

crossface21

Quote from: MNbadger on January 06, 2015, 11:16:28 PM
You can't be a serious wrestling fan if you would choose to watch NFL football over "your" wrestling team.
It is fine if you do, but you can't then complain or wonder: "Why isn't wrestling more popular"? "Why doesn't wrestling get more coverage"?

Not a serious wrestling fan for choosing to watching a Packers playoff game over a wrestling dual meet? Wow. I cheer for "my" football in addition to cheering for "my" wrestling team.

Just because it's your choice to watch UW, doesn't mean that's what everyone should do to prove their fandom.

Maybe wrestling isn't more popular and doesn't get more coverage because it does choose to go up against easily the most popular sport in America.

bkraus

Quote from: MNbadger on January 06, 2015, 11:16:28 PM

WHAT??  It isn't like this is a October Sunday.  It is the conference semifinals.  The Badgers would be crazy not to move the meet time if Purdue agrees to it.  Otherwise I bet there will be less than 100 people there.  That is not testing the fandom at all. 
Strive for Perfection

MNbadger

You have both simply proven my point.
We will keep getting what we have gotten for this reason.
Your priority is the NFL over Badger Wrestling, that is a choice.  The complaining going forward should stop.  Too often on here Badger wrestling fans complain about attendance but they don't show up!

Manty77

I guess I didn't realize the dual and Packer game will overlap until I saw this thread. Easy decision for me - - - I'll be in the Barn on Sun afternoon.  There are only a handful of home duals this year and I'm not missing any of them, of course unless I get kicked out for being too vocal.

bkraus

I've only been to one home dual, two if you count the intersquad.  But I will be in Evanston on Friday and was at Midlands.  Will travel to see them if I can.  They also are not the only college team to watch either.  Went to a Whitewater dual and will be going to Parkside when they wrestle UWW.  Have also seen a Concordia match this year.
Strive for Perfection

TomM

If you have Verizon and a data plan you can stream the game video and all on your android phone. (Just bring a Bluetooth headphone!) :o
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"