Trackwrestling - Hypothetical State Tournament Seeding

Started by tw, February 18, 2019, 04:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw

Trackwrestling has run the same data model on the state tournament entrants to give people an idea of what seeds might look like for the state tournament this weekend if a model like this were applied to seed the event.

Seeding the Sectional Champs
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=1320688132

Seeding all wrestlers in the tournament
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=1320681132

These seeds are based on the data entered into the weight management system, and we are sure there are results missing...

Again, hopefully this gives people something to talk about heading into the most exciting wrestling weekend in the state each year!

DocWrestling

Very cool and all objective although not sure what you used.  Would be even better if every result was entered and accurate.  Could be an easy way to seed regionals, sectionals, super sectionals, whatever.

I think you can see the difference that it would be a mistake in my opinion to only seed the sectional winners
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Numbers

This is interesting.  I wonder how complex the formulas are for ranking all wrestlers?

TW-Bailey is ranked 9th at D1-120.  Are you able to share what his TW ranking would have been for state if he won his sectional?  I guess my question is how many spots did losing a match 1-0 at sectionals matter for his imaginary TW state seed?

DocWrestling

It must have been something else in the system because Stilling lost at sectionals but was still the #3 seed at 138
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Please state your criteria?

D2 -120 Koltz beat McHugh twice this year, zero losses to him. How is he ahead of him? Common opponents Joniaux, I believe both have split with.

thequad

I like the seed all, I sure would like to see the formula.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

tw

The process is looking at mostly head to head and common opponent data.  If it can't find a head to head or common opponent match between wrestlers, then it looks at state place last year, state qualifier last year, and then record.  The biggest elements by far that give it accuracy is head to head and common opponent though, and therefore the more data in the system from coaches the better.  There may be some kids that are off because they are on a team that doesn't have much data entered or a kid who maybe missed state last year because he was hurt, etc.

Jimmy

Uhmmmm, the most exciting weekend of the yr, is next weekend not this weekend!

mhsfan2

TW seeding just shows how impossible fair seeding would be. D-2 145 has Lansing and Bahr seeded above the boys who beat them at sectionals. How fair is that they got 2nd and 3rd at their sectional. Luke says thanks to randomzation we have Messinbrink and Bailey match up Bosman wrestling on Thursday night. We have those match ups because someone lost their sectional. Best you could do is maybe seed Sectional winners.

thequad

Being a freshman must hurt your ranking, one example D2 Whitig 152. Because of not having record of accomplishments from last year'

Razor Ramon

If they seeded just the top 8, which would be the sectional champs, then that would work best for the time being. Seeding all 16 would eliminate a lot of the big time matchups for the 1st and quarterfinal rounds on Thursday. The WIAA would see the effects of it as well, and not be in favor. Plus, make it so being seeded is earned. This is the state tournament, you gotta beat em to win it. If you don't win sectionals then you gotta find a way. Plenty of wrestlers have finished 2nd at sectionals and done just that in the d1 brackets.

thequad

If you just seed the sectional champions, for example D2 132 you could have Moll and Bosman meeting in the quarter finals. I don't think that would be good.