WIAA Eligibility Question

Started by oneshot, December 22, 2017, 08:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshot

Question for the group that knows more about the WIAA rules regarding eligibility than I do (probably most of you). Here is the scenario - Wrestler is injured first week of the season in a dual meet. Injury is severe to require pins and doctor figures 5-6 weeks of recovery before wrestler can be back on the mat. Wrestler cannot practice...can't run...can't really lift weights because of injury. So wrestler is not practicing...nor has he been medically cleared to wrestle.

Coach puts the kid in he line-up and has him walk out to take he forfeits (the team doesn't "need" the win by forfeit to win the dual meets).

So...is it it in violation of any WIAA rule to line up a wrestler who is not medically cleared to practice (much less compete) to receive forfeits or does the WIAA not address this type of eligibility issue? Don't want to run into something at the end of the season like DePere did last year.

Thanks for your input/thoughts

O Harris

I would say no. It is more of an ethical question as to why you would do that. The only purpose would be to improve the wrestlers record by taking forfeits.

Spartan

I don't think the WIAA would have a rule regarding this. If they had someone they can run out their the wrestler would have to medically default. Ethically I don't believe it is right, but he made weight and met all the requirements. I get the coach wanting to pad his record for when he comes back, but again ethically it is not right, maybe run it past your AD to see how they feel about this.

wrastle63

Pretty low by the coach, but I have seen coaches do it before as well! I believe it is in the rule book that no one should weigh in unless they are able to compete.

oneshot

Quote from: numberone on December 22, 2017, 08:43:31 AM
It's in the rule book

numberone...could you or wrastle63 tell me where to find reference to this in the rule book? Thanks

Farm boy

Consider this, wrestler made weight. If the kid is totally committed to team, at practice everyday, made the grades to be eligible, following code conduct rules, etc.., he is doing what he can to support team during this difficult time in his short career. Why deny him the opportunity to help team out?

Ghetto

I don't have a rule book in front of me, but I think it says something that addresses the issue. Something like a team will not enter someone who is not eligible to wrestle. That is vague language, but I would say it applies here.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on December 24, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
I don't have a rule book in front of me, but I think it says something that addresses the issue. Something like a team will not enter someone who is not eligible to wrestle. That is vague language, but I would say it applies here.
Yes basically if they are not eligible they shouldn't step on the scale let alone the mat.

thequad

How do you get access to a rule book?

Do wrestlers have to make scratch weight to wrestle at weight class at some point in the season?

For example must a wrestler make 106 at some time in the season to wrestle at 106 after the weight allowance is available?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Ghetto

Quote from: thequad on December 24, 2017, 12:08:17 PM

Do wrestlers have to make scratch weight to wrestle at weight class at some point in the season?

For example must a wrestler make 106 at some time in the season to wrestle at 106 after the weight allowance is available?

The school orders them for us.

No. Kids do not have to make scratch weight to get the two pounds after Christmas or the third pound in February. They DO have to body fat test before Dec. 25th to get those pounds however.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Quote from: thequad on December 24, 2017, 12:08:17 PM

This might help ya, bud!

https://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Wrestling/RulesRegulations.aspx
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

woody53

The only part in the rule book that I know about that might apply this is Rule 1-3-7. "Prior to the wrestling the head coach shall verify that all wrestlers will be in proper uniform,properly groomed,properly equipped, and ready to wrestle."
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

mhsfan2

Our trainer said only concussion protocol makes a wrestler ineligible. I think we've all seen or heard about the kid with his knee wrapped up and braced wrestling till he can't stand anymore.

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bulldog

Quote from: mhsfan2 on December 24, 2017, 04:05:45 PM
Our trainer said only concussion protocol makes a wrestler ineligible. I think we've all seen or heard about the kid with his knee wrapped up and braced wrestling till he can't stand anymore.

It seems the question isn't about a kid that is wrestling but shouldn't be. The question is in regards to an athlete that may not be medically cleared to wrestle but is lining up to take forfeits for the team.

In Woody's answer what does "ready to wrestle" really mean? I take it as ready to compete. So that would tell me that this coach/school is in voilation if the wrestler is not medially cleared.

Does the WIAA really NOT have a clear rule that addresses an athlete must be medically cleared before returning to competition after an injury?

I have to find my rule book but it sure would seem the WIAA would want to protect the athlete. Otherwise any over zealous parent or coach could push a kid back out into competition before they are medically cleared to do so. And if that is the case who is responsible if the kid gets hurt? The parent? They would have to sign off a lot of legal paperwork to make sure the school or coach is not held liable because schools and coaches make it very clear that the decision on who competes is theirs and not the parents.

Seems awful risky on the schools part and a bit irresponsible for the WIAA not to have addressed this. Boy...I would have the AD put this back to the WIAA before I line that kid up.