D3 Team Sectionals

Started by paintortureagony, February 14, 2016, 05:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintortureagony

Predictions for Random Lake Sectional:

Reedsville will defeat Markesan- chance of being very close.  Good matchup for both teams considering neither one has to deal with forfeit points at 106 lbs.

Random Lake will defeat Kenosha Christian Life- Looks like a good matchup on paper, but Random Lake probably has tougher opponents and will take care of Kenosha.

Sectional Final:
Random Lake will defeat Reedsville- Reedsville might have been able to hang in with Random Lake with Brandon Stelzer at 145, but with him out, this matchup could end ugly.  Reedsville will win a fair share of matches between 4 to 6.  But without a full team or near a full team Reedsville doesn't have a shot. 

CLC FAN

Sectional B:

Stratford over Crandon and Coleman over Shiocton.  I wouldn't be surprised if the team scores of these duals are close - only because Stratford and Coleman might secure the victory and then FF out the rest of the matches.  They've employed that strategy before, and with such a big dual looming in the finals, it's certainly understandable to not risk anything happening to your starters.  In Stratford's case, it seems like they have enough backups that they could throw second-string kids out there rather than just FFs.  We shall see.

In the final... wow.  I'm not the one to ask for a breakdown (Looking at you darkknight!) but I would imagine that a 7-7 split seems likely with bonus points and the flip making a rather large impact on the outcome.

CrossAnkle

106- Koltin Grzybowski 31-3 vs. Macey Kilty 22-2 Col dec 3-0
113- Kasey Casper 20-15 vs. Jake Drexler 40-2 Strat dec 3-3
120- Caleb Gross 33-4 vs. AJ Schoenfuss 41-2 Strat dec 3-6
126- Jake Baldwin 31-7 vs. Jeremy Schoenherr 33-0 Strat dec 3-9
132- Derek Teatek vs. Derek Martin 37-7 Strat dec 3-12
138- Bryce Karban 30-10 vs. Sam Wenzel 37-5 Strat dec 3-15
145- Jordan Blanchard 33-5 vs David Marquardt 31-10 Col pin 9-15
152- Kevin Lansin 31-4 vs. Mason Kauffman 43-0 Strat dec 9-18
160- Abe Nowak vs. Kade Ehrike 9-6 Col dec 12-18
170- Josh Pillath 19-11 vs. Dylan Schoenherr 16-19 Col pin 18-18
182- Hunter Stodola 32-5 vs. Kamren Bornbach 40-2 Strat dec 18-21
195 Gunner Patz 2-1 vs. Aiden Hoffman 10-6 Strat dec 18-24
220- Jake Zeitler 30-7 vs Jon Aguirre 21-8 Col maj 22-24
Hwt Donovan Salweski 33-4 vs. Tyson Kauffman 41-3 Col dec 25-24

Its going to be that close, and we could see matches go either way. Bonus points will be the difference of the dual. And we all know there is going to be some shifting around by both teams to get the best possible matchups. I truly believe that after looking at both rosters that Coleman is going to continue their magic and find a way to win this one. They were able to beat Stratford last year with their four state champs I don't see why they wont do it again.

CLC FAN

It is undoubtedly going to be a good dual.  Here's my problem with your projections - you are giving Coleman bonus points (a pin even) in matches like 33-5 vs 31-10, but you are giving Stratford a minor decision in matches like 33-0 vs 31-7.  You have Coleman winning the dual while winning only 6 matches.  To win the dual, I feel like Coleman does need big bonus points like that... whereas I think Stratford could win without earning a single pin.

Will anybody be there in person?  Anyone willing to do a blow-by-blow thread here for the rest of us?

ramjet

Way to close to call may come down to who wins the flip.

I think both teams will score enough in the first bouts then FF the remaining matches in the first round.

I never count Coleman out they do some pretty good strategizing for dual meets. Should be a dandy of a match. Stratford has so many tough wrestlers and match ups.  Consider the fact many could meet on Satuday in Shawano adds a great twist to strategy?

Stratford will have a cake walk with Crandon. (Frankly that Three Lakes regional was pathetic many weight classes with only two wrestlers and several with only 3. This Team tournament would have better served not allowing a team from the NLC to attend.)

CrossAnkle

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 15, 2016, 10:45:27 AM
It is undoubtedly going to be a good dual.  Here's my problem with your projections - you are giving Coleman bonus points (a pin even) in matches like 33-5 vs 31-10, but you are giving Stratford a minor decision in matches like 33-0 vs 31-7.  You have Coleman winning the dual while winning only 6 matches.  To win the dual, I feel like Coleman does need big bonus points like that... whereas I think Stratford could win without earning a single pin.

Will anybody be there in person?  Anyone willing to do a blow-by-blow thread here for the rest of us?

It is just my personal opinion in those matchups. I know your wondering how I could give 4 state champs only regular decisions, but I do not feel that they will get bonus points in any of those matchups. Is it possible yes, anything is... I think stratford could potentially get bonus points/pins at 132 and 138,  but I think they will be regular decisions... I think coleman could potentially get pins at 220 and Hwt but I scored them the way I felt they would go based off of the wrestlers and who they have wrestled not by rankings. This will be the 3rd year in a row that I have seen this matchup, and I am basing my projections off of what I have seen with my own eyes not computer projections. If you look at how some of these kids have faired at team sectionals like the the stratford kid who is 31-10 he has not done very well against coleman and has given up some big points in the past so that is why I felt coleman could pick up a possible pin there. I dont look at records because they dont mean much at this point. Past accolades factor into it, but really its just picking from what i have seen with my own eyes. I am not discrediting what you have put forth CLC FAN with your projections I think they are awesome!!!! Whats funny is that I know that will never know if my predictions would of held true because I know that this match will not be wrestled straight up. There is going to be alot of strategy and shifting!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

foose4

Quote from: CrossAnkle on February 15, 2016, 12:24:17 PM
I dont look at records because they dont mean much at this point. Past accolades factor into it, but really its just picking from what i have seen with my own eyes.

I think your eyes have only seen one team enough to know.....but maybe you travel to central Wisconsin to watch Stratford.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

CrossAnkle

Quote from: foose4 on February 15, 2016, 12:41:54 PM
Quote from: CrossAnkle on February 15, 2016, 12:24:17 PM
I dont look at records because they dont mean much at this point. Past accolades factor into it, but really its just picking from what i have seen with my own eyes.

I think your eyes have only seen one team enough to know.....but maybe you travel to central Wisconsin to watch Stratford.

I have observed plenty of both teams.... to at least make somewhat of guess ;D ;D ;) ;)

CLC FAN

Point taken cross-ankle.  Coleman is typically a very strong dual wrestling team - they're guys seem to always know exactly how to maximize bonus points and minimize team points given up.  This has been true at Team State and in the last few years (when they haven't been trouncing everyone) at Team Sectionals as well. 

thequad

Just for the record LC beat Col winning only 6 matches. LC only gave up 4 NF points.  LC was able to pick up 4 pins and a major, won 31-24. I don't know if this has any relevance. Just saying how big bonus points are. I guess it shows Col can be turned as well as able to turn people. I also think it is going to be a great match.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

missinghome

I got Coleman winning by 10 points. I believe the biggest thing is mental toughness! No way can you be there as many times as Coleman and not have an advantage. Anyone can talk the talk, but Coleman year in and year out has walked the walk. Pressure is all on Stratford.

ramjet

Two really great programs that every D3 school should try and emulate.

atrain

Quote from: missinghome on February 15, 2016, 04:16:53 PM
I got Coleman winning by 10 points. I believe the biggest thing is mental toughness! No way can you be there as many times as Coleman and not have an advantage. Anyone can talk the talk, but Coleman year in and year out has walked the walk. Pressure is all on Stratford.

We'll see how all the Coleman freshman handle the pressure and hype of team sectionals

boowrestle

JMo,Stratford will get bonus pts at at least 2 if not 3 wts where some are predicting only decisions,i have seen both teams wrestle this yr and I will be shocked if Stratford doesn't win this dual,but I did pick Stratford last yr too and coleman proved me wrong.This is going to be a great dual meet.
you can run but you cannot hide.

missinghome

Atrain, Coleman has been there and done that. Winners win.