wrestling schools and state place winners

Started by warriordad, March 03, 2015, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warriordad

Just wondering how many wrestlers that place at state go to some type of wrestling school or elite club. Maybe it would be easier to ask who does not go to a club. Does a wrestler have much of a chance to place if they don't or are clubs pretty much required to compete at a high level?

tyben

I bet that number is higher than you think of kids that didn't attend elite clubs. It would be a good thing to know though.   

Handles II

Considering there are a limited number of wrestling schools in the state, and 252 of place winners (1st-6th), I would bet that most placing wrestlers do not attend a wrestling school.

Coach Ryan

A follow up question to this would be how many wrestlers that placed at this year's state tournament did zero off season wrestling (no tournaments, open mats, etc.)?

Maybe they did not attend clubs, but I bet the number of state place winners who wrestled in the off season is pretty high.

Ofhsfan

There were 5 champions in div 2 from one private school

Brute

My son was a champ in D3 this year, and has never gone to a wrestling school or wrestled in the off season.   :)

imnofish

I was told by the grandfather of the D2 285 champ that none of Chetek's 3 placewinners did offseason wrestling tournaments, schools, or camps.  For many kids, especially in poorer rural areas, the cost is just unaffordable. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

tiger

Quote from: Brute on March 04, 2015, 10:38:45 AM
My son was a champ in D3 this year, and has never gone to a wrestling school or wrestled in the off season.   :)
May I ask who your son is?

Brute

Jimmy

Congrats to you mr. Adams and also to Ben, one hec of a match!

Brute

Thank you, Jimmy.  I'm actually Mrs. Adams. :)   He had a great tournament.  A great way to end his senior year.

Mack

Our son was a place winner, and has been before.  He attends a wrestling school and he's an unapologetic mat rat.  He literally drags kids into the wrestling room most days of the week, all year long.  I don't think there's any place he'd rather be.

We have two other place winners.  Neither attend a wrestling school now that they're in high school.  One of them did when he was in youth wrestling.  One of those boys did some off season training and competitions.  The other did not.  The boy who didn't do off season wrestling training or competitions, worked out like crazy and trained for football.

I guess none of this supports any clear pattern.  :)  I think my son would tell you that all of his training and focus throughout the whole year has been absolutely essential to whatever success he has enjoyed.  I'm not sure he would tell you he's a natural.

IMO, there are other kids who are just freaks of nature, and will enjoy success at almost anything they try.   We had a kid who went out as a senior this year because he went on a missions trip with my husband (who is the coach) and enjoyed wrestling on the beach so much with my husband and son, the boy thought he'd give high school wrestling  a whirl. 

Well, the boy was one of those freaks.  He was on varsity, and he didn't lose much.  He became a fan favorite, and everyone wonders what he could have done if he would have started younger.

After his first full match, he came off the mat to a group of his teammates and informed them that wrestling a full 6 minutes was super hard (just in case they didn't know.)  Then, he pinned his first opponent, and he came off the mat and let the boys know that pinning kids was way easier; they should do that.

It was a fun year.

wrestlinglife1

We had 8 at State from our D1 School.
5 Do Private Clubs.
1 - Champion
1 - Finalist
1- 4th
1 - 5th
3 Wrestle @ Camps in the Summer. All 8 train year round with each other.

Remaining 6 weight classes:
No Private Club / No Year Round Training / 1 or 2 Camps in the summer. The hard work speaks for itself!

warriordad

Holy crap Brute, that is impressive, congratulations. I think that is the exception and not the rule in wrestling today. The only other factor that can come into play is if you have a really good program at your school like Kaukana, Coleman, Stratford, just to name a few where the wrestling room has got to be so competitive that you do not have to seek out a school to get pushed on a every day basis.

DocWrestling

I thin your percentages would be different not only depending on the division but also on the weight class.  I would think the heavier weights spend less time wrestling out of season due to being more likely to play additional sports especially football and thus training for that also.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!