River Valley Team sectionals

Started by Hyde, February 16, 2022, 06:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyde

https://youtu.be/Opek4MNuuMU
Here is a link to anyone wanting to watch the crazy match between Prairie Du Chien and Evansville.
One of the craziest duals I've watched.
All three duals are on this link.
Whitewater vs Evansville
Lodi vs PDC
PDC vs Evansville

jeast

Crazy, yup...that's a really good word for what we saw last night. I couldn't sleep thinking about it. What did we witness? Crazy...yup.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Wis-Mallard

2 stall calls in last 9 seconds to send final match of championship dual into overtime. I'm not a fan of either team. Evansville kid was winning by three on fresh start from neutral and started running around too much to avoid action. Put ref in a tough spot. Wish match was stopped after first stall (actually second stall pt of match) to explain to kid you must attempt to wrestle. The last stall which was a 2 pt stall was called with less than one second left.

So then PDC gets to choose bottom to start SV due to choice after 2 pt stall.  PDC gets away and wins match and dual.

jeast

I will go on record to say that the ref did a great job in my opinion. He was calling stalling when he saw it the entire match. One of the best refs in the State too, so no gripe there at all. Actually, no gripes at all,  just amazed at how it all went down. Glad I was there. Probably won't see anything quite like that dual again.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Hyde

Totally agree Jeast. I the the refereeing was awesome. Valley might of had the best trio of refs in the state last night.

Moose Knuckle

Will the kid who was DQ'd be able to wrestle at sectionals?

Handles II

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on February 16, 2022, 08:00:31 AM
2 stall calls in last 9 seconds to send final match of championship dual into overtime. I'm not a fan of either team. Evansville kid was winning by three on fresh start from neutral and started running around too much to avoid action. Put ref in a tough spot. Wish match was stopped after first stall (actually second stall pt of match) to explain to kid you must attempt to wrestle. The last stall which was a 2 pt stall was called with less than one second left.

So then PDC gets to choose bottom to start SV due to choice after 2 pt stall.  PDC gets away and wins match and dual.

It's not the official's job to explain what stalling is. That's the coach's job. And from what you've written, the coach had not only explained it, but also taught how to stall to prevent losing a match. Maybe they taught it too well? Tough way to lose a match, but as you said, they had a SV period, so it's still anyone's match.

Wrath

I'm sure the coaches are taking some of the  responsibility for this. These two legitimate stall calls came after an injury timeout. WOW!!

Wis-Mallard

I wasn't there but must have been "over coached" or wrestler was too ambitious to avoid takedown. Could have given up takedown in regulation and still won. Very unique finish to a match!

Kwishoff

MTA

Quote from: Kwishoff on February 16, 2022, 01:24:55 PM
Why did that kid get DQd

He kneed his opponent in the head. It did not appear to be accidental and the ref made the call without influence. After that the team was hit with a -3 team point deduction because the same wrestler was called for taunting the crowd.

After we take that and the last match (last 9 seconds) away from the rest of the dual it was really quite amazing. Back and forth action, very loud and intense. Mostly what is great about dual meets between 2 full roster teams of high quality wrestlers. Tough one to see your team lose, but ultimately a very strong team is moving on. Congrats to PDC.

Quack

I disagree on the reffing. I think there was way too many stalling calls called in the entire dual meet. When have you ever seen five to six stalling calls called in a heavyweight match? Kids were running a half and getting called for stalling. I don't know what to think about that, I do know the refs were told to crack down on it and call more stalling  calls. But I do think it was a little over the top. As far as the kid from Evansville running from the PDC kid. He should have grabbed rest shot it on a single done some thing he could've given up to and they would've won the match, that was definitely a coaching error.

Talking about other errors made last night that helped out PDC. Why would the Lodi coach start his hwt on top in the third period, Tied 2 to 2 and then cut the kid with 30 seconds to go? He had already rolled the other kid earlier in the match from the bottom, and that is one of things he does best. It was almost like he was just giving away the match
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock