Seeding for state

Started by panther93, February 15, 2022, 10:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther93

Thoughts on the following situation.

I was not getting the correct records to pull into the seeding criteria within Trackwrestling in preparation for sectionals this weekend.  I could not figure out why the records that were being pulling in were different than the records that were on my track program.  As an example I have a wrestler that is 35-3, but the track seeding program was pulling in 29-3.  It didn't make sense to me. Another is 44-0 and it was pulling in 40-0. Then I ran their record without counting byes and had it come up 29-3 and 40-0.  The program is not pulling in byes from tournaments.  That does not seem right?  The first wrestler had two byes at the regional, won the regional and is only getting credit for one win. 

This will change a lot of winning percentages through no fault of the wrestler, the other teams did not field a wrestler in that spot  Forfeits in duals count toward the wins however.

I understand that winning % is down the list, but for those that were not at state last year and not a sectional champ it matters.

Handles II

Did the wrestler win the match following the bye? If so Track should add it. I'm not a Track expert but there should be a setting about byes that can be adjusted at each tournament, for example in a round robin bracket, each wrestler gets a bye, but that bye doesn't count as a win.

Numbers

Quote from: panther93 on February 15, 2022, 10:51:33 AM
Thoughts on the following situation.

I was not getting the correct records to pull into the seeding criteria within Trackwrestling in preparation for sectionals this weekend.  I could not figure out why the records that were being pulling in were different than the records that were on my track program.  As an example I have a wrestler that is 35-3, but the track seeding program was pulling in 29-3.  It didn't make sense to me. Another is 44-0 and it was pulling in 40-0. Then I ran their record without counting byes and had it come up 29-3 and 40-0.  The program is not pulling in byes from tournaments.  That does not seem right?  The first wrestler had two byes at the regional, won the regional and is only getting credit for one win. 

This will change a lot of winning percentages through no fault of the wrestler, the other teams did not field a wrestler in that spot  Forfeits in duals count toward the wins however.

I understand that winning % is down the list, but for those that were not at state last year and not a sectional champ it matters.

Even if they were at state or won sectionals, winning percentage could still matter. 

If two or more 2022 state qualifiers have the similar resumes, it keeps going down the list.  Remember every state qualifier is matched individually with every other qualifier (in the same bracket) to see who gets the seeding point.

MatScoutWillie

Wisconsin just cannot get out of it's own way regarding the state tournament.  Unreal

Redeemer

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 15, 2022, 01:29:36 PM
Wisconsin just cannot get out of it's own way regarding the state tournament.  Unreal

Chill.

A simple question is being asked.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Redeemer on February 15, 2022, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 15, 2022, 01:29:36 PM

Chill.

A simple question is being asked.
Chillin with some bud diesels.  And, you know I'm right. 

Ghetto

That's a Trackwrestling issue. Not a "Wisconsin can't get out of it's own way" issue.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

panther93

So we received an update from the WIAA today.  I'm still confused however.  On the criteria there are two spots for 21-22 records, one is "Overall Record" and the other is Varsity Record (including byes.) They do not match, as the "Overall Record" does not include those byes.  I still can't wrap my head around why they are not included.  In the old days, a bye was only counted if you won the match after, now points are scored different and they are just counted for the most part I believe.  I see a problem as they are not even counting the byes if the match was won after the bye. 

I like the idea of the seeding, just have some questions.

Also we need to do away with the one and done and get all three divisions equal, but that is for a different thread.

Ernie1964

The seeding process is definitely a work in progress, but it is the right way to go.
1--Make sure all of the events your wrestler has been in are imported into his record.  We had two events that did not do that.
2--I have the same thing, with byes showing up as part of the varsity but not overall record.  I am in absolute agreement that byes should be credited. If not, people will want the seeding process to change for tourneys, taking us back to the days of random draws and hurting the opportunity for some deserving kids to move on.
3--It is the first year of doing this, so I imagine it will improve over time.

Ernie

Ernie1964

I just figured it out.  Overall record is used for head to head and common opponent seeding.  Varsity is used for winning percentage.  Byes will be counted in the last criteria, which is the only place that total records are used.  All is well.

Ernie

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Ghetto on February 16, 2022, 08:01:03 AM
That's a Trackwrestling issue. Not a "Wisconsin can't get out of it's own way" issue.

Negative Ghetto Rider.  Wisconsin is deciding to use Trackwrestling.  There in lies "WISCONSIN CAN'T GET OUT OF IT'S OWN WAY." Bud Diesels keep this train flowing smoothly. 

Ghetto

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 16, 2022, 04:30:01 PM

Negative Ghetto Rider.  Wisconsin is deciding to use Trackwrestling.  There in lies "WISCONSIN CAN'T GET OUT OF IT'S OWN WAY." Bud Diesels keep this train flowing smoothly.

Part of your problem is trying to get by on Bud, sir.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

drbrad

Any brilliant ideas for what WIAA should do OTHER than trackwrestling? Perhaps morse code? Or hire 28,000 people to calculate the seeding algorithm for each weight class? Track is not without its tech issues, but the idea that the WIAA is stupid for using it (like most everyone else does now) is ridiculous.

Redeemer

You are sure on some type of drug bud.