New Orleans, WWII Museum visit... Need insight.

Started by TomM, November 27, 2013, 08:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Have to be in Mississippi for my nephews wedding (wedding is Jan. 11, 2014)
So, making a trip of it.  Taking train out of Milwaukee to NO... Intend to visit the WWII Museum in NO
< http://www.nationalww2museum.org/ >
Then will take train to Jackson, Mississippi for wedding and return home from there.

Need advice on what part of NO to stay in.  Anyone have experience there, who could give some ideas of what part to stay in and where to stay etc.?  I have no clue.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

The Last Ride

Don't have any ideas on where to stay, but that sounds like a neat way to go on the train from Milwaukee to New Orleans.. Have a great trip!
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

TomM

Thanks! 
I am looking forward to the train.  Took it to Big Tens in Illinois last March.  Should be interesting.
Really looking forward to the WWII Museum.

wraslfan

I've never taken a train anywhere, is it worth it? What is the seating like? Just like a bus or a plane? Do you save any time vs. driving?

badgerjohn

Quote from: wraslfan on November 27, 2013, 12:04:47 PM
I've never taken a train anywhere, is it worth it? What is the seating like? Just like a bus or a plane? Do you save any time vs. driving?

If you find the right boxcar.......  just don't slip under when you jump on........  good hand strength helps....... try to find a place where they slow down
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

bigoil

Do NOT stay on Bourbon street! Great place to visit but don't stay there. A couple blocks away are some nice hotels.

I'd recommend a swamp tour, I thought that was really neat.

bigG

That sounds like something I'd dig. I went there a few years back; but really had a good time and learned quite a bit. Yes, a mega party town; but also dang interesting area. Driving there is interesting. I like gettin' lost on backroads. Interesting place to do just that.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

The museum appears to be great.  May go more than one day, but the swamp tour sounds interesting and I will look into it.  Was headed there a few years ago and decided to hit the College World Series (Omaha, NE) on the way (well... not really on the way... but I had time)... then never finished the trip to NO.  So I have wanted to go for some time now.

The train is more expensive than flying and it takes a full day... but no annoying security or worrying about missing a flight because of security etc.  The ticket change fee is $5.00 (not $200.00 like air).  You can cancel any time prior to the train leaving and they credit you.
The regular cars are like a large Greyhound bus, only more space and you can easily walk around and get something to eat or drink and you can carry on food. 
In New Orleans I will not need a vehicle, so I will use public transportation there.  Will take coach train to Jackson, Mississippi later in week and then return to Wisconsin from there after the wedding stuff.

dad 2 5

Quote from: TomM on November 27, 2013, 11:53:43 AM
Thanks! 
I am looking forward to the train.  Took it to Big Tens in Illinois last March.  Should be interesting.
Really looking forward to the WWII Museum.
I have heard it is really good. I would like to get my dad to it. He is a WWII vet. Got him to go on the Honor Flight last year and he said it was a highlight! Let me know how it is.

DrSnide

Quote from: badgerjohn on November 27, 2013, 04:14:30 PM

If you find the right boxcar.......  just don't slip under when you jump on........  good hand strength helps....... try to find a place where they slow down

just don't get rousted by the bulls. :)
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bigG

I used to do this in my teens. Not across country or anything, but Milwaukee to Racine, then back.

Not recommended.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on December 06, 2013, 02:19:17 PM

I used to do this in my teens. Not across country or anything, but Milwaukee to Racine, then back.

Not recommended.

That line hums!! I take the amtrak thru there and other trains seem like they are moving quite fast.

bigG

Always slow down or stop on the bridge over Marquette Ave. in South Milwaukee.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on December 09, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
Always slow down or stop on the bridge over Marquette Ave. in South Milwaukee.

How about in Racine?

bigG

What's the really good pizza place near Horlick HS? I just remember a few of us jumping off, then one of my pals knowing where to go for that unreal pizza.

I've driven through Racine many times; but I never spent enough time there, but to grab a cringle and that pizza. Lee's deli had good sandwiches, too.