WIAA To Vote On NIL Deals For High School Athletes

Started by VQOriginal, April 20, 2024, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

It's the dang apocalypse.

High school kids getting NIL money. I pray there's some semblance of order to it all.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

factfinder

Quote from: Ghetto on April 20, 2024, 10:01:15 PMIt's the dang apocalypse.

High school kids getting NIL money. I pray there's some semblance of order to it all.
Most states have had it before the NCAA brought it in.
It typically only end up to the top Nike athletes in basketball and football.
Tennis and Golf seem to benefit as well, but in wrestling it more uncommon outside of Basset.

DocWrestling

Have not heard any nightmares in other states but could scenarios like this happen.

A company like Greenheck in Wausau that has donated probably over $100 million to facilities for DC Everest HS (Note:they are open to the community as well) could start paying players to come play for DC Everest and build a super team

Or let's say in Verona that Epic software gets involved and starts paying players to play there and is pulling all the best of Madison?

Menards and Eau Claire?

Will any Wisconsin companies look to do something in their community like FedEx is doing with University of Memphis

Will some school become an IMG like academy?

Imagine what a major donor could do at a school in Milwaukee area for basketball.  Free tuition and we will pay your child $25,000 per year.  Maybe a dealership gives out cars
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

thats2!

I've heard through some AD's this will not pass this week with the way its currently worded or drafted up. They have informed the WIAA of this so we will see if they make the changes and give the voters what they want. The WIAA seems to be eager to get this done, so time will tell. If this doesn't get done this year I feel it will be done in the next year or two. I really don't think this is a big deal as a whole but it will mostly effect football and basketball, still talking about 1% or less IMO

Ghetto

Quote from: factfinder on April 21, 2024, 10:53:29 AM

Tennis and Golf seem to benefit as well, but in wrestling it more uncommon outside of Basset.

I now remember someone telling me about this...

NIL, though a great idea in theory, has wreaked havoc on college athletics. At least in Wisconsin (for HS kids), if they kept things the same as the status quo, a student couldn't transfer after his freshman year without losing a year of eligibility. Right? I seem to remember that once you set foot in a school during your sophomore year, you would have to physically move districts to be eligible to compete.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Ghetto on April 22, 2024, 10:13:33 AM

NIL, though a great idea in theory, has wreaked havoc on college athletics. At least in Wisconsin (for HS kids), if they kept things the same as the status quo, a student couldn't transfer after his freshman year without losing a year of eligibility. Right? I seem to remember that once you set foot in a school during your sophomore year, you would have to physically move districts to be eligible to compete.

Correct.  Transfer rules still apply. 

DocWrestling

That is the transfer rule but some can be granted waivers to compete right away and many are.  Basically have to state that the prior school mistreated the student athlete or something to that effect.

You can transfer and compete right away without a waiver but only at the JV level.

Difficult with public/private transfers.  1) Athlete attends private school and wants to transfer to public school.  They already live within that district. 2) Where exactly do you have to move to attend a private school which has no delineated school boundaries.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ghetto

Quote from: DocWrestling on April 22, 2024, 12:48:38 PMThat is the transfer rule but some can be granted waivers to compete right away and many are.  Basically have to state that the prior school mistreated the student athlete or something to that effect.

You can transfer and compete right away without a waiver but only at the JV level.

Difficult with public/private transfers.  1) Athlete attends private school and wants to transfer to public school.  They already live within that district. 2) Where exactly do you have to move to attend a private school which has no delineated school boundaries.

It's not a perfect system, but there is at least a system. College has nothing.

No kid who is getting NIL money is going to be JV for a season.

I would say that private schools would have more possible donors just by nature of how that system works.

MCB

Instead of concentrating on the speculative "doomsday" scenarios (that we haven't heard a peep about in the States that have had an NIL policy in effect for more than a few years) why don't we instead look at the possibilities of booster clubs being able to help forego costs for opportunities that otherwise may be prohibitive for certain populations?

AWA, Nazar, RT Elite, Crass trained, Sarbacker, etc... are all great opportunities for kids, but are only being utilized by the families that have time and money for those opportunities. Wouldn't it be great if local booster clubs could fund raise enough money to give that opportunity to all of their kids instead of just the ones that have the money to do it?!?!?!

Heck we might even get to the place where the majority of high school teams can fill out the 14 wrestler roster!

Ghetto

Quote from: MCB on April 23, 2024, 09:14:56 AMInstead of concentrating on the speculative "doomsday" scenarios (that we haven't heard a peep about in the States that have had an NIL policy in effect for more than a few years) why don't we instead look at the possibilities of booster clubs being able to help forego costs for opportunities that otherwise may be prohibitive for certain populations?

AWA, Nazar, RT Elite, Crass trained, Sarbacker, etc... are all great opportunities for kids, but are only being utilized by the families that have time and money for those opportunities. Wouldn't it be great if local booster clubs could fund raise enough money to give that opportunity to all of their kids instead of just the ones that have the money to do it?!?!?!

Heck we might even get to the place where the majority of high school teams can fill out the 14 wrestler roster!

This could already be happening, couldn't it? Maybe I'm naive. A private entity could give a student money, couldn't they?

LCWrestlerDad

Quote from: MCB on April 23, 2024, 09:14:56 AMAWA, Nazar, RT Elite, Crass trained, Sarbacker, etc... are all great opportunities for kids, but are only being utilized by the families that have time and money for those opportunities. Wouldn't it be great if local booster clubs could fund raise enough money to give that opportunity to all of their kids instead of just the ones that have the money to do it?!?!?!
Our wrestling club is looking at providing some funding for individuals to attend wrestling clinics. Funding would be provide to those wrestlers assist with our youth program, participate in current club fundraising activities, and any community service that would promote our wrestling program in a positive manner. The club would also assist the wrestling team with extra fundraiser if the need exceeds the amount of the club provides.

Whizzersoldman

I say let's be patient.   Let's wait and see how this works at the college level. I've heard there have been efforts to lure athletes to enter the portal with huge amounts of money.  Let's keep school loyalty and pride up to the kids without using money to buy them.

MNbadger

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on April 22, 2024, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 22, 2024, 10:13:33 AM

Correct.  Transfer rules still apply. 
I don't know how things go in Wisconsin but in MN the transfer rule means very little.  It is easily gotten around and the MSHSL has no interest in investigating anything. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan