Being Awesome

Started by Mack, February 20, 2016, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

I saw some awesomeness today, and I just can't resist calling awesomeness out when I see it. Tonight, I was sitting with my arm around my son who was trying to manage his heartbreak. I was feeling his pain, like moms do.  We sat in silence; I wasn't coming up with any inspiring or helpful parental wisdom.  

A man from Madison East, who we don't know, tentatively walked over to us.  He bent down, and quietly told my son a few things.  He said, "You are tough.  You have a great future.  You fought like a man. Hold your head high."  He patted my son on the shoulder, and walked away.  That was way better than anything I was thinking of saying.

I really hope this nice Madison East man reads this forum.  There are so, so, so many opportunities to be awesome in this sport as a fan, parent, wrestler.  And, the majority of those opportunities have little to do with having your hand raised on the mat.  Thank you, Madison East man.
 You have inspired me, and I hope I can be like you, and not miss opportunities to encourage any kid who needs it.

woody53

Quote from: Mack on February 20, 2016, 06:31:11 PM
I saw some awesomeness today, and I just can't resist calling awesomeness out when I see it. Tonight, I was sitting with my arm around my son who was trying to manage his heartbreak. I was feeling his pain, like moms do.  We sat in silence; I wasn't coming up with any inspiring or helpful parental wisdom.  

A man from Tomah, who we don't know, tentatively walked over to us.  He bent down, and quietly told my son a few things.  He said, "You are tough.  You have a great future.  You fought like a man. Hold your head high."  He patted my son on the shoulder, and walked away.  That was way better than anything I was thinking of saying.

I really hope this nice Tomah man reads this forum.  There are so, so, so many opportunities to be awesome in this sport as a fan, parent, wrestler.  And, the majority of those opportunities have little to do with having your hand raised on the mat.  Thank you, Tomah guy.  You have inspired me, and I hope I can be like you, and not miss opportunities to encourage any kid who needs it.
And this is why we love this Sport. Thanks Mack for sharing. Better than any other results I have seen today.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

maggie

sometimes the lesson of losing is more priceless than  winning
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

woody53

Quote from: maggie on February 20, 2016, 06:44:46 PM
sometimes the lesson of losing is more priceless than  winning
Now there is a great quote !
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Mustang Fan

Troy Grindle

Sounds like one of the coaches at Madison East.  I am not surprised that a Madison East coach would come up and say that.  Those guys work their tails off with their kids (like all coaches do, they just have a few more issues to deal with) and have always shown the utmost respect for our wrestlers as well as the others in our area.  I was glad to see peppy purgolder represented with Big Mike Dunlap winning the Waunakee sectional today.

True awesomeness indeed Mack.  Thanks for sharing the story.
And then there was that.

imnofish

Wonderful example of one of the many good people there are in the world.  Kudos to this wise and kind man for speaking the truth when your son most needed to hear it.  Thank you for reminding us that the journey is about much more than wins and losses. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Talking Goat

Great story. That's all u can say.

littleguy301

I love hearing these kind of stories. Just awesome, thanks for sharing!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ty Clark

"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

Oldtimer

Another awesomeness I thought.  Amery's Johnny Benitez injured his knee just prior to regionals and could not wrestle.  It's his senior year.  As heartbreaking for him as that is he still showed up to support his teammates.  Well, the JV kid that wrestled in his spot qualified for state.  I saw Johnny run over to him and give him a big hug of congrats.  That was really cool.
Beware of the northern sleeper

Mack

Now THAT is a GREAT idea.  A thread about awesomeness.  I see a lot more use for that, than a thread with grown ups fighting over which part of the state has better wrestlers.  Kinda rootin' for all kids to have an opportunity, no matter where they live.  Kids don't care about North vs. South, East vs. West, until adults tell them they should.

Here's another one:

We got an email from an elderly man who uses a walker.  This man is a huge wrestling fan.  He tries to come whenever he can, but he's sick and getting sicker. This older man said he has been having trouble holding on to things lately.  He said he dropped his water bottle, and it spilled all over the gym floor during conference. He said one of our team's wrestlers who was in the middle of preparing for competition saw it happen.  The boy ran over to the man and told him he was going to get some paper towel.  The boy came back.  Cleaned up the spill.  Then, he went and threw the paper towel away.

This older man emailed the coach to tell him.  The man said he knew it was a small thing, but that small thing made this man smile every time he thought of it.

Small things can be awesome.

Quack

At regionals this year my son was sick, but came along to cheer his team on. Mind you my son had beaten everyone in his bracket and would have been the #1 seed. He sat as high up in the stands as he could away from everyone to watch and hope he didn't get anyone sick. After the kid that he beat in the finals of conference the week before won the finals match, he came up to my son and told him he felt bad for him. That it should have been him out there wrestling, that was his match. We went to cheer him on at sectionals, gave him a little advice for his match, which he used. After his match he came up sat by us and chatted for a while. Even his parents pulled my son aside and said nice things to him, and hoped to see him wrestling again next year.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

thequad

I had a nice experience when I went to the regional at LC. They had saved a special spot for me where I could see the matches very clearly. Very thoughtful of them. It was very much appreciated! Many times I am unable to see the matches clearly.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.