Rick Lawinger, first Badger NCAA Champ 1952-2020

Started by TomM, July 21, 2020, 08:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Rick Lawinger, our first NCAA Champion  passed away this morning.

Rick Lawinger, first Badger NCAA Champ 1952-2020

https://www.wiwrestling.com/rick-lawinger-first-badger-ncaa-champ-1952-2020/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Rick Lawinger - Member
George Martin Hall of Fame

https://wiwrestlinghofhonorees.org/alpha/l/lawinger-rick/

TomM

Lawinger Finally Receives Space in UW Hall of Fame – Wisconsin Wrestling Online
By Abbie Ruckdashel

https://www.wiwrestling.com/lawinger-finally-receives-space-in-uw-hall-of-fame/

npope

Very sad to hear of his passing; it really is a seminal moment in the history of Wisconsin wrestling.

RIP
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Thanks for re-posting the links. I didn't know much about him.

RIP sir. Hope there's wrestling up there.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

onwisconsin

Thank you for posting.   God bless, RIP Mr. Lawinger! 

TomM

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

My main memories of Rick Lawinger are from when he was the Head Coach at River Valley.

In his 3rd year as Head Coach, I listened to the radio to a big match between River Valley and Mineral Point. The announcers talked in anticipation before the meet - Rick Lawinger vs his former high school coach Al Bauman. It was loud - it sounded like it was a packed gymnasium. River Valley ended up winning the dual and it showed the Blackhawks had arrived on the scene as one of the best wrestling teams in the state.

In 1979, on parents night in Fennimore, River Valley steamrolled us 59-2. After the meet, when we were in the lunch room having snacks with our parents and feeling a little down, Coach Lawinger came in and said a few words of encouragement to our team and parents. It really meant a lot at the time.

The next season, we traveled to River Valley for a dual meet. The gym was completely full with crazed Blackhawk fans sensing a big victory - a small number of Fennimore fans traveled to watch - probably 30-40. River Valley had cheerleaders, girls in cowboy hats dancing, and a special program featuring their best wrestlers. You could feel the excitement in the air. Two mats were going for JV's; I think everyone on Fennimore's JV got to wrestle at least twice. I never saw so many pins in my life - the refs might have had sore palms from slapping the mat so many times - win after win by River Valley. In the varsity meet, we were not favored in any individual matches, but somehow won two of them . We lost the dual 52-9 - it felt like a moral victory at the time. Future Badger greats Ralph Liegel and Dennis Limmex were the stars for the Blackhawks.

At the end of the season, the conference meet was in Fennimore. Out of 12 weight classes, River Valley had 11 wrestlers in the finals, and won 10 of those matches. The Blackhawks had excellent technique, were tough and intimidating, and showed total domination. Many good wrestlers were in our conference, yet River Valley was better than almost all of them. (The conference included River Valley, Riverdale, Richland Center, Boscobel, Viroqua, Fennimore and Prairie du Chien)

I never had the chance to be coached directly by Rick Lawinger, but his greatness motivated me as well as many other wrestlers to continue to get better at wrestling. (The alternative was to continue to get our butts kicked by them, which was not preferable) The impact he had in 6 years at River Valley is almost immeasurable. River Valley has had many outstanding wrestlers and great teams ever since. Rick helped build all of Southwest Wisconsin Wrestling indirectly because everyone else had to step up their game.

Without a doubt, in addition to his greatness as the Badgers 1st NCAA Champion, he was one of the best high school wrestling coaches ever in Wisconsin history. Thank you Rick Lawinger for the inspiration you provided to our sport.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

leg turk