I found us a future coach.

Started by leg turk, January 29, 2016, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: imnofish on January 31, 2016, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 31, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
Out of all the younger than 30 crowd of wrestlers that I think could be excellent colleges coaches, the first name that comes to the tip of my tongue is.........drum roll please.....

Kyle Dake. Out of all the former NCAA champs or college guys in the past 8-10 years I think Dake is by far the most suited to be able to walk into a college room and take over with out any long stints as an assitant on the college level.

I have read some articles that Kyle would take over and run practices while he still was competing at Cornell. Also in his first year out of college he spent that in the room as a coach also. His coach and wrestlers talked very highly of Dake and how he was very good in the room and had that room at his attention.

I also think Jordan Oliver has had some good reviews in his short stint at ASU also.

To be honest I know Jordan B is in the room but I havent heard alot about him coaching but more of being in the room.

I wouldnt mind taking a chance at a younger guy with a name to run the program. If anything it would be a shock value and a name to get some bigger recruits in the door.

Isn't that what we did with the last couple of coaches at UW?  I would love to see a guy like Dake get a shot here, but would he get the administrative support needed to actually build a top program?  Nobody can get it done by themselves, unfortunately.   :P

If the Badger ever took that jump, which if they did I would drop right there and never see anything, name alone would attract some recruits. I think then forcing the hand of the uppers might be a tad easier.

Also if the Badgers were willing to remove BD, they would also be making a comitment to being better so maybe that hand would get a tad lighter also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 31, 2016, 10:55:14 PM
Out of all the younger than 30 crowd of wrestlers that I think could be excellent colleges coaches, the first name that comes to the tip of my tongue is.........drum roll please.....

Kyle Dake. Out of all the former NCAA champs or college guys in the past 8-10 years I think Dake is by far the most suited to be able to walk into a college room and take over with out any long stints as an assitant on the college level.

I have read some articles that Kyle would take over and run practices while he still was competing at Cornell. Also in his first year out of college he spent that in the room as a coach also. His coach and wrestlers talked very highly of Dake and how he was very good in the room and had that room at his attention.

I also think Jordan Oliver has had some good reviews in his short stint at ASU also.

To be honest I know Jordan B is in the room but I havent heard alot about him coaching but more of being in the room.

I wouldnt mind taking a chance at a younger guy with a name to run the program. If anything it would be a shock value and a name to get some bigger recruits in the door.

Isn't that what we did with the last couple of coaches at UW?  I would love to see a guy like Dake get a shot here, but would he get the administrative support needed to actually build a top program?  Nobody can get it done by themselves, unfortunately.   :P

If the Badger ever took that jump, which if they did I would drop right there and never see anything, name alone would attract some recruits. I think then forcing the hand of the uppers might be a tad easier.

Also if the Badgers were willing to remove BD, they would also be making a comitment to being better so maybe that hand would get a tad lighter also.

Good points.  If those things happen, I would probably die from the shock, too.   
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

Quote from: imnofish on January 31, 2016, 10:59:23 PM

I would pull that best Fred Sanford out there also ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 30, 2016, 09:20:51 PM
I don't care who Bo's brother and father are. AD is a better wrestler and a better coaching prospect.

Apparently family legacies means nothing to the fans in Madison.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Micah

Quote from: stp on February 01, 2016, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 30, 2016, 09:20:51 PM
I don't care who Bo's brother and father are. AD is a better wrestler and a better coaching prospect.

Apparently family legacies means nothing to the fans in Madison.

Just hire them as co-head coaches! 

stp

Quote from: Micah on February 01, 2016, 07:23:24 AM

Just hire them as co-head coaches! 

I'm confident Bo will become a college coach shortly after graduating but maybe only as an assistant.     

JJ retires

Jess "the body" takes over

A half dozen, give or take, Bo moves back to Neff and is named the Graham HC.  He probably even starts wearing white turtle necks and gray flannel vests. 

"build it and they will come" revisited....all part of the plan.

bkraus

The guy I'd like to see as a future head coach was in the building yesterday....  Mark Perry
Strive for Perfection

bigG

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 31, 2016, 11:04:03 PM
Quote from: imnofish on January 31, 2016, 10:59:23 PM

I would pull that best Fred Sanford out there also ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that. Good one. :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: bkraus on February 01, 2016, 12:46:31 PM
The guy I'd like to see as a future head coach was in the building yesterday....  Mark Perry

Would be a great choice!
JHI Mafia

bigG

I think pretty highly of Mark Perry. Good man for the job.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TLV

Quote from: bigG on February 01, 2016, 04:19:20 PM

He definitely does things his way. He drove the Brand followers nuts because he decided what his own strategy and tactics would be regardless of what Tom/Terry thought. I agree BigG, he would be great. He's doing a great job at Illinois.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

stp

Mark Perry is indeed a  blue chipper of coaching recruits....  How long is Heffernan expected to stay at Illinois?  

Micah

Quote from: stp on February 02, 2016, 10:56:17 AM
hmm....

How long is Heffernan expecting to stay at Illinois?  

I thought the people in Illinios complain about the staff and lack of success?  Is their frustration more toward Heffernan?  Illinois is a better wrestling state than Wisconsin and for the most part these two programs are on par. Illinois may be just a notch better overall as a program. 

imnofish

Quote from: Micah on February 02, 2016, 11:03:51 AM
Quote from: stp on February 02, 2016, 10:56:17 AM
hmm....

How long is Heffernan expecting to stay at Illinois?  

I thought the people in Illinios complain about the staff and lack of success?  Is their frustration more toward Heffernan?  Illinois is a better wrestling state than Wisconsin and for the most part these two programs are on par. Illinois may be just a notch better overall as a program. 

That's nothing new.  Seems it's always been that way.  Illinois views itself as a basketball state.  My father successfully coached both basketball and wrestling down there.  I grew up wrestling there, back in the 60s and 70s.  The top wrestlers from our team and our conference were routinely recruited by Iowa colleges and universities.  When local teams wrestled highly-touted Iowa high school teams, we usually won, so the alpha males got their attention.  Meanwhile, the basketball fans were oblivious to where the real in-state potential existed. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Micah

My brother coached at Sycamore for a few years in the smaller division so I would watch their state tournament and it is a step up in total quality compared to Wisconsin.  The top guys are on par with the top guys in Wisconsin but the depth is different.  They also have a lot more people which makes a difference.  To me Illinois is a sleeping giant similar to tOSU was before Ryan.  Although, there are 4 D1 wrestling schools in Illinois.