Dual at Rutgers Friday, Feb. 5 featuring 165 All American REMATCH

Started by TomM, January 25, 2016, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

The hating Iowa thing is a bit of a conundrum.  Does everyone hate them because they were so dominant for so many years or because of their attitudes?  And if you were an Iowa fan would the antics bother you?  It seems to be one of those things that if you win people don't complain and almost embrace being on the dark side.  I have friends that are Iowa supporters and have never once heard them complain about their guys antics.

It's similar to the Patriots, Yankees and Lakers.  Also, has your hatred for Iowa diminished recently?  I feel as if mine has, is that due to the lack of dominance?  I understand they are still really good they just aren't winning NC every year.

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on February 07, 2016, 09:59:07 AM

I don't hate Iowa. I am jealous of their success. But they are not in the category of say Ohio State, MI, or the Dallas Cowboys.

I too don't generically "hate" any team (nor even specific wrestlers). I just don't like some of the antics some teams and specific individuals employ that go beyond the actual wrestling. But what I especially dislike are fans who condone and/or even applaud such behavior - or try to rationalize such behavior as being part of the wrestling experience. That attitude among fans is even more distasteful to me than the actual behavior itself. It sends the wrong message to student-athletes who are supposedly learning appropriate behaviors for use in their later lives.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Barou

Quote from: Micah on February 06, 2016, 07:17:23 PM
The hating Iowa thing is a bit of a conundrum.  Does everyone hate them because they were so dominant for so many years or because of their attitudes?  And if you were an Iowa fan would the antics bother you?  It seems to be one of those things that if you win people don't complain and almost embrace being on the dark side.  I have friends that are Iowa supporters and have never once heard them complain about their guys antics.

It's similar to the Patriots, Yankees and Lakers.  Also, has your hatred for Iowa diminished recently?  I feel as if mine has, is that due to the lack of dominance?  I understand they are still really good they just aren't winning NC every year.

They dominate and that brings out haters. We could only be so lucky to have that kind of talent and intensity. Since we can't compete with them people try to bring them down by calling out their "antics". Some of the uw faithful (in all sports) can't just accept the success of other teams, they have to slander. Alabama football is stacked with talent and plenty of good student athletes. But we can't compete with them so it's because they are stupid and and we value such high "standards' that they couldn't possibly be smart enough to go to UW. Hats off to Iowa. I wish we had a team full of gilmans.
JHI Mafia

dman

Micah

Quote from: Goat Roper on February 07, 2016, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: leg turk on February 06, 2016, 12:19:45 AM
Quote from: hammen on February 05, 2016, 11:01:29 PM
That's classic RT. He's his own man.

Uncalled for...  He thinks he's above the team, I'm tired of it.

Maybe the Rutgers guys said Leg Turk was a grease ball?  Ryan covered for you.

This is kinda funny, especially since we don't know what caused the incident.

Spartan

I have watched Ryan Taylor as an official and as a fan since his high school years. He is a high intensity style of wrestler with a motor that does not stop. He has given us plenty of great memories watching him on the mat. All I can say is that every interaction I have ever had with him, he is a humble driven young man. Always polite and willing to chat about matches technique, or probably his favorite bow hunting. Fridays match was going to be high intensity because of the match up and all that is/has occurred in the recent history of Wisconsin wrestling.

But to rip on the young man for being intense in a intense sport during an intense match is in poor taste. As I stated earlier he is a great young man that provides a spark for his team, and I would take a dozen more just like him. He has fought through more just to wear red and white than you can possibly imagine.

JMHO

Steve Skarda

leg turk

It wasn't during the match, it was well after the whole dual meet was over with.  I don't know what was said to him to spark him like that, so I guess I should refrain from being to hard on him.  It ticked me off when I saw it, and apparently ticked off Barry also, as he got right in Ryan's face.

stp

Quote from: Spartan on February 08, 2016, 10:12:08 AM
I have watched Ryan Taylor as an official and as a fan since his high school years. He is a high intensity style of wrestler with a motor that does not stop. He has given us plenty of great memories watching him on the mat. All I can say is that every interaction I have ever had with him, he is a humble driven young man. Always polite and willing to chat about matches technique, or probably his favorite bow hunting. Fridays match was going to be high intensity because of the match up and all that is/has occurred in the recent history of Wisconsin wrestling.

But to rip on the young man for being intense in a intense sport during an intense match is in poor taste. As I stated earlier he is a great young man that provides a spark for his team, and I would take a dozen more just like him. He has fought through more just to wear red and white than you can possibly imagine.

JMHO

Steve Skarda
Hear, hear.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.