40 at Large Qualifier Selection Information

Started by stbird, March 10, 2014, 08:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbird

I found this on the NCAA Wrestling Page to answer my own question.  The answer is 12 March.

After all of the qualifying events have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in-person to select the remaining 40 at-large qualifiers, which will be announced on March 12. All weight classes will consist of 33 wrestlers. The at-large selections will be made based on the following criteria: head-to-head competition; qualifying event placement; quality wins; results against common opponents; winning percentage; RPI; coaches ranking and the number of matches contested at that weight class.

hammen

Based on this and what WI Wrestling Fan posted in the other thread, I don't see how Jesse wouldn't get an at-large bid.

dad 2 5

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

stbird

Does Sabatello have to lose his spot for Jesse to get in?  Dutton wrestled his way in so that would make #7 if Sabatello doesn't lose his spot and Jesse would be #8. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Here are this season individual results.  

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Results_2014.html

Sabatello's season results are not listed unfortunately.  He apparently has 3 Top 20 wins according to the Purdue website, and did beat Lazor of UNI in a dual.  (Thielke lost to Lazor)

It's possible Sabatello and Thielke both make it - it would be highly controversial if Sabatello would make it and not Thielke .  Head to Head and placement at the qualifying tournament should count for something.
Kirk Nelson

Micah

Hopefully the recent head to head will trump all. As it is an actual result and not an opinion. Getting in for JT will be huge for the experience factor going forward. And who knows what happens with the right draw, could make the qtrs.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I see Preston of Harvard is Flo Wrestling's Brute Wrestler of the Week.

Thielke beat him at Midlands !!
Kirk Nelson

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: badgerjohn on March 11, 2014, 07:37:49 AM
On the Bubble list

http://news.theopenmat.com/2014/03/on-the-bubble-potential-at-large-qualifiers-for-2014-ncaa-division-i-championships/

based on that list I don't like his chances... I hope they account for who he wrestled... his record is not the best, but his schedule is probably as good or better than any on the list and I would hope that would come into play just as much as record.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

The selection show is tomorrow night.

Will the at large bids be announced earlier ?

Kirk Nelson

buc65

I could see Jackson Hein being selected as an at-large qualifier.  Although after seeing him at the Big Ten tournament last weekend I'm not sure that he's healthy enough to compete.

184 has 6 at large spots and based on the open mat's list of 9 "bubble" wrestlers he has a very good shot.

I think these two wrestlers are most like not going to get bids based on their record vs qualifiers and head to head records with other wrestlers on the bubble.
Ryan Tompkins - Army - no wins against qualifiers and no head to head matches with the other bubble wrestlers, 25th RPI, 33rd coaches panel 
Brett Harner - Princeton - 1&5 against qualifiers and no head to head matches with the other bubble wrestlers, no RPI 

That would leave 7 wrestlers for the 6 spots.

Alex Utley   North Carolina
Nolan Boyd   Oklahoma State   
Lucas Sheridan   Indiana   
T.J. Dudley   Nebraska   
Jackson Hein   Wisconsin   
Blake Stauffer   Arizona State   
Kurtis Julson   North Dakota State

D1 record % Jackson is 6th out 7 (ahead of Utley)
Coaches Panel: Dudley 9th, Stauffer 20th, Boyd 22nd, Julson 23rd, Hein 26th, Sheridan 29th, Utley 30th
RPI: Dudley 7th, Boyd 14th, Utley 16th, Stauffer 21st, Julson 23rd, Sheridan 24th, Hein not ranked

Head to Head: Hein beat Utley from North Carolina, and Sheridan from Indiana head to head and he lost to Julson from ND State and Sheridan from Indiana.

I think the last spot will come down to Hein and Utley.  Neither placed at their conference tournament.  Hein won head to head (it was in November and a 3-2 score) Utley has a better RPI and has wrestled more matches at 184, but Hein has a better coaches ranking. Against qualifiers Hein is 3&5 and Utley is 6&10, same winning %.  Hein is 1&2 against the other bubble wrestlers and Utley is 0&0.

I think it goes in favor of Jackson winning head to head, but RPI and matches wrestled at the weight class are a factor as well. It depends on how heavily each is weighted, but you would think head to head would matter most, but we're talking about the NCAA here.

I think Jackson makes 8 for the Badgers and Thielke should make 9.

easytopin

Does anybody else find it weird that you can go 0-2 and qualify....I know there are at large berths but it just strikes me odd.  Not that he may deserve it, but it sounds strange.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: easytopin on March 11, 2014, 01:27:01 PM
Does anybody else find it weird that you can go 0-2 and qualify....I know there are at large berths but it just strikes me odd.  Not that he may deserve it, but it sounds strange.

sure... but it all depends... what if you get a bye into the quarters... then lose against a top seed and then in the consolation you get a top seed that was upset

to me it should depend on body of work, not just a couple matches at the end of the year when deciding who gets the wildcard
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

whatever

Quote from: buc65 on March 11, 2014, 01:12:54 PM
I could see Jackson Hein being selected as an at-large qualifier.  Although after seeing him at the Big Ten tournament last weekend I'm not sure that he's healthy enough to compete.

184 has 6 at large spots and based on the open mat's list of 9 "bubble" wrestlers he has a very good shot.

I think these two wrestlers are most like not going to get bids based on their record vs qualifiers and head to head records with other wrestlers on the bubble.
Ryan Tompkins - Army - no wins against qualifiers and no head to head matches with the other bubble wrestlers, 25th RPI, 33rd coaches panel 
Brett Harner - Princeton - 1&5 against qualifiers and no head to head matches with the other bubble wrestlers, no RPI 

That would leave 7 wrestlers for the 6 spots.

Alex Utley   North Carolina
Nolan Boyd   Oklahoma State   
Lucas Sheridan   Indiana   
T.J. Dudley   Nebraska   
Jackson Hein   Wisconsin   
Blake Stauffer   Arizona State   
Kurtis Julson   North Dakota State

D1 record % Jackson is 6th out 7 (ahead of Utley)
Coaches Panel: Dudley 9th, Stauffer 20th, Boyd 22nd, Julson 23rd, Hein 26th, Sheridan 29th, Utley 30th
RPI: Dudley 7th, Boyd 14th, Utley 16th, Stauffer 21st, Julson 23rd, Sheridan 24th, Hein not ranked

Head to Head: Hein beat Utley from North Carolina, and Sheridan from Indiana head to head and he lost to Julson from ND State and Sheridan from Indiana.

I think the last spot will come down to Hein and Utley.  Neither placed at their conference tournament.  Hein won head to head (it was in November and a 3-2 score) Utley has a better RPI and has wrestled more matches at 184, but Hein has a better coaches ranking. Against qualifiers Hein is 3&5 and Utley is 6&10, same winning %.  Hein is 1&2 against the other bubble wrestlers and Utley is 0&0.

I think it goes in favor of Jackson winning head to head, but RPI and matches wrestled at the weight class are a factor as well. It depends on how heavily each is weighted, but you would think head to head would matter most, but we're talking about the NCAA here.

I think Jackson makes 8 for the Badgers and Thielke should make 9.

Will the fact that the badgers already have 7 qualifiers work AGAINST either Thielke or Hein?
"....the older I get, the better I was....."