Challenges?!?!?

Started by MatScoutWillie, February 25, 2024, 09:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatScoutWillie

The 126 D1 finals match. Was that a takedown at the end?  Looked close. Why not have a challenge brick for the semifinals and finals? We have the technology and have to get those type of calls correct.

I haven't seen a replay with the clock and action to determine if the right call was made.

VQOriginal

Saw that one up close. It was right on the cusp of 0 seconds. Would definitely need to be scrutinized with a clock segregated.

I'm not opposed to the challenge brick.

Scramble_king

I thought D2 157 halopka had a takedown for half a second but it was close

Wis-Mallard

It would add more time to finals session. Wouldn't even notice it in semis with so much action going with 8 mats. The semis are too fast IMO.

piratestrong

This is high school sports. I hope we never have challenge bricks and replay for high school wrestling.

Scramble_king

Quote from: piratestrong on February 26, 2024, 06:28:41 AMThis is high school sports. I hope we never have challenge bricks and replay for high school wrestling.

Why would you be against getting the call right? Technology advances and we need to with it. They do challenges at national tournaments with no issue. Kids work too hard for us to get it wrong.

panther93

There are challenge bricks at national competitions and they have worked well.  No reason we can have them at the state tournament in all matches.

I'd also like to see a full 2 minute period in the consolation side of the bracket.  There is no reason that we cannot have a full first period. 

badgerstateref

In a recent survey to stakeholders, the NFHS posed the question of whether to allow video replay in state championship competition. So, it is being considered.

Until anything changes, you go by the electronic tapper system (buzzers) on the wrist of the two officials on the mat. It is what they both feel/see at the precise time they are buzzed, no reaction time can be considered beyond that exact moment.

Whizzersoldman

Having 2 refs is good with me. Taking time to look at replay is an advantage to the wrestler who needs a breather. Keep them wrestling and let the conditioning be a part of who wins. A great example of this is the Tritz vs Needham match. If there would have been a break in that match the winner would have been different. 

qbit

Quote from: Whizzersoldman on February 26, 2024, 11:14:58 AMHaving 2 refs is good with me. Taking time to look at replay is an advantage to the wrestler who needs a breather. Keep them wrestling and let the conditioning be a part of who wins. A great example of this is the Tritz vs Needham match. If there would have been a break in that match the winner would have been different. 

two refs is good so long as they correct each other every once in a while!

Grapl

Quote from: qbit on February 26, 2024, 11:55:40 AM
Quote from: Whizzersoldman on February 26, 2024, 11:14:58 AMHaving 2 refs is good with me. Taking time to look at replay is an advantage to the wrestler who needs a breather. Keep them wrestling and let the conditioning be a part of who wins. A great example of this is the Tritz vs Needham match. If there would have been a break in that match the winner would have been different. 

two refs is good so long as they correct each other every once in a while!
100 % as long as the assistant referee isn't just a bobble head with agreement.  I saw that to many times this weekend.  A brief discussion can and should happen to get the right call.

chucker66

The clocks only have 3 digits for time and there is actual 9/10s of a second from when they hit 0 and the buzzer goes off on the refs hand  FYI

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: piratestrong on February 26, 2024, 06:28:41 AMThis is high school sports. I hope we never have challenge bricks and replay for high school wrestling.

Dumb take

VQOriginal

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 26, 2024, 08:59:42 PM

Dumb take

Agreed Willie.

littleguy301

Quote from: panther93 on February 26, 2024, 09:55:27 AMThere are challenge bricks at national competitions and they have worked well.  No reason we can have them at the state tournament in all matches.

I'd also like to see a full 2 minute period in the consolation side of the bracket.  There is no reason that we cannot have a full first period.

If time is the issue I would rather see 2, 1.5, 1.5. Taking a full minute out ofnthe 1st period seem to be to much in my opinion.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet