17th place

Started by leg turk, March 22, 2015, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stp

Compared to UW's dump-

Sorry Barry but your facilities are horrible. 

From Milwaukee to St Paris.

1Iota

The previous pictures tell a heck of a story.  Until UW invest in wrestling it is hard to blame Barry. 

DocWrestling

I completely agree that facilities and university support are part of the problem.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 25, 2015, 09:01:55 PM
I completely agree that facilities and university support are part of the problem.
Plus 1

imnofish

Quote from: bigoil on March 25, 2015, 10:16:31 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 25, 2015, 09:01:55 PM
Plus 1

Plus another 1.  It's hard to recruit kids when they envision themselves spending the next 4 - 6 years in that dungeon. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stp

Quote from: bigG on March 26, 2015, 06:26:52 AM
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/237031-Edinboro-Spring-2010-GOhioCasts/video/331862-Edinboro-Wrestling-Room-and-Offices#.VRPspvzF8uc

Soft counterpoint. I've been impressed with "Boro" since forever.

Edinboro has a nicer wrestling room than Wisconsin's simply because of no pillars in the middle.    Edinboro calls it the dungeon but brilliant they built a sub-floor under their mats.

Boro has a great history as you see in your video.  
  *  Also should be mentioned who "Boro" has as an AD.   You know darn well Bruce takes good care of the wrestling team.

I went to a small college in Michigan in which the XC and T&F coach also was the AD.  Guess what sports programs were treated the best on campus.....?  

bigG

Splitting hairs a bit. Edinboro is much more a wrestling school. UW is top 2 or three overall athletic departments in the country. Not too well known for wrestling. Couple of impressive studs to our history, though.

Nice to have a better wrestling room; but I remember that sweatshop room in Camp Randall, and it sure was popular for its "rusticity."

I agree to a point; but, man, we gotta show we deserve such a fine facility.

I do like the sub floor idea; that was the AD's idea when he was coaching there.

So what we need is a mega buck wrestling room, new head coach (Cael's level) and AD who formerly wrestled and we'll be the team to beat.

I'm in!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stp

Quote from: bigG on March 26, 2015, 09:43:28 AM
Splitting hairs a bit. Edinboro is much more a wrestling school. UW is top 2 or three overall athletic departments in the country. Not too well known for wrestling. Couple of impressive studs to our history, though.

Nice to have a better wrestling room; but I remember that sweatshop room in Camp Randall, and it sure was popular for its "rusticity."

I agree to a point; but, man, we gotta show we deserve such a fine facility.

I do like the sub floor idea; that was the AD's idea when he was coaching there.

So what we need is a mega buck wrestling room, new head coach (Cael's level) and AD who formerly wrestled and we'll be the team to beat.

I'm in!
I've not tried looking it up but guessing Mick Byrne (Director of Cross Country and Track & Field at UW) makes more $ than Barry as the coach of the wrestling team?   Wisconsin has been a powerhouse distance running school for quite a while.

Is Madison's OTC a different location than UW's wrestling room?  If I'm not mistaken, tOSU and the Columbus OTC share the same location.  

You don't need a new head coach just more support for the UW wrestling program.  The Madison OTC and UW Badger wrestling programs need to become more part of each other.  
In Columbus JD Bergman and Travel Dlagnev talk about working out with the tOSU team in a lot of videos.  
*IMO- Barry is just as good if not better than Tom Ryan.   Only difference between tOSU and UW is $$ and who they have as assistant coaches.

In C-bus Lou Rosselli and J are very important cogs in the Buckeye machine.  

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

So you are saying "Build it and they will come"
Build the program and maybe then the university will step it up on the facilities.
Barry Alvarez couldn't care less about wrestling so it will be hard to get better facilities and he and Barry Davis are really tight so I don't see him replacing BD in the near future.

stp

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 26, 2015, 10:32:47 AM
So you are saying "Build it and they will come"
Build the program and maybe then the university will step it up on the facilities.
Barry Alvarez couldn't care less about wrestling so it will be hard to get better facilities and he and Barry Davis are really tight so I don't see him replacing BD in the near future.

I guess Gene Smith is better at marketing.   Kidding.

OK I tried searching Google- Does the Wisconsin regional OTC have their own website?  Who's all there?
Mitch is a fine coach but what athletes train there?

DocWrestling

They spent a ton of money on the new women's hockey arena.

If they did something like that for wrestling, you would get the next level of recruits but you still need the coaching staff and a training center would be a natural draw with a new facility.

Sadly I wish they would add baseball and build a baseball facility before spending the money on a better wrestling facility but why not both! ;D

Rowing has one of the nicest facilities.

With the lack of support for the wrestling program I have always worried that they might add baseball and drop wrestling!  That would be a very bad thing.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Jimmy

You guys whine like the mud ducks from minnesoooota.the twins record is even worse since they left the dome for discount oops I mean target field. And I highly doubt that the Vikings One point one billion dollar field is gonna help them either

stp

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 26, 2015, 11:55:08 AM

Sadly I wish they would add baseball and build a baseball facility before spending the money on a better wrestling facility but why not both! ;D

You sound like a Nike fan.    ;)

stp

Quote from: Jimmy on March 26, 2015, 04:30:39 PM
You guys whine like the mud ducks from minnesoooota.the twins record is even worse since they left the dome for discount oops I mean target field. And I highly doubt that the Vikings One point one billion dollar field is gonna help them either

Getting nitpicky I suppose but pro sports are unionized and pay their athletes large amounts of money.  The Dallas Mavericks owner (Mark Cuban) recognized early on to attract free agents you need nice stuff.  He turned his team from worst to one of the best, partially because of nice stuff.

"Mark Cuban doesn't just try to market the Mavericks to fans—he's also constantly marketing the team to opposing players (who are potential free agents) and even to his own players (ditto). Because of the NBA's salary cap, there are limits to how much Cuban can out-pay other owners for his players. To get around that, he lavishes his team with perks, such as a $46 million Boeing 757 he bought to take the players on road trips. Cuban's plane features a weight room, catered meals, and a facility for trainers to provide medical treatment. Cuban also makes sure the team stays in the best hotels in town, he bought the players brand-new luggage, and he sends limos to pick them up during icy weather. The tactics pay off—last year, the Mavericks boasted the league's best road record. "Professional basketball players are no different from everyone else. They look for reasons to stay in bed and hit the snooze button," Cuban told Time earlier this year. "I've got a $50 million annual payroll. I'd be a moron if I didn't protect it."
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/2002/12/mark_cuban.html

A university recruits and offers benefits to students on why to attend.  Hard to sell this-

(Shame to see Lee Kemp recognized by hanging his picture from a heater duct.)