Started by leg turk, January 12, 2016, 03:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stp

wow

"not a quitter"

Hope not.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

vsmf2010

That is a sad situation. I hope the young man can get it sorted out and he continues his education whether or not he continues to wrestle.  :(

Musky Hunter

wrestlingshoes

When a program is sub-par mediocre at best who's fault is it???? Last I checked it all falls to the leader the HEAD coach end of story there is no one else to blame that is why he is called and paid to be the head coach. If injuries were the reason that would be the one major thing that is out of a head coaches control after that it's on him including eligibility the coach recruited him. One question if the Football, Basketball or Hockey program was going in the direction of the wrestling program would the Head coach still have a job?

jaguarwrestler

I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

leg turk

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on January 13, 2016, 07:22:09 AM
problems?

not sure they will miss a step

Ok, maybe I should have said " incidents ".

Micah

Losing the 133 is a big hit to the team, but injuries happen.  I think they get better at 157 with Smith.  What's amazing is they can lose three guys from the line-up and still be a top 10 maybe top 5 program. 

I think Chance is one of those guys that hit puberty early and now everyone has caught up.  He is also really short for his weight which hurts him.  If he were to wrestle 165 or 174 he would be giving up a lot of length and leverage.  You could see the gap closing his Senior year as he started to have relatively close matches. 

bkraus

This will actually make Ok State a better team.
Strive for Perfection

imnofish

Gotta' respect a coach that holds team members accountable.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

stp

Just think, Chance could have been the starting 165 for PSU right now.   That would have been fun.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

MarkK

read this on intermat today - Campbell?

High school standout and Oklahoma State redshirt freshman Chance Marstellar won't be wrestling anymore this season. The four-time undefeated Pennsylvania state champion who'd had a frustrating start to his Cowboy career in 2015, was suspended from the team by head wrestling coach John Smith.

While his season on the mat officially ended this week in Stillwater, the saga of Marstellar's wrestling career will almost certainly extend a few more years.

The rumor mill has already started to spin, with conjecture that Marstellar will either quit wrestling altogether (as he mentioned in a tweet) or join his former youth coach Cary Kolat at Campbell.

So what happened? I don't know that it matters.

When given the body of evidence we have to go on there is little anyone can do but speculate, and really, what good is that when considering the physical and emotional health of a 20-year-old?

For now, it's best to allow him to clear his head and make a decision that most benefits his future. I hope that Coach Smith is part of that discussion, and maybe even Coach Kolat. What Marstellar needs now are calm voices guiding him to his next step, not to listen to the outrageous, cacophonous echo chamber of the wrestling world's message boards and Twitteratti.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Ghetto

My guess is that the huge weight cut was burning him out, and once his mind was set that things weren't going well, then other parts of his life started going south.

Why not Campbell? He has trust in Kolat, and will likely be able to wrestle just about any weight he wants there. He might not be AA at that weight, but he'd be happier.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove