McCall

Started by Birdy11, December 31, 2014, 10:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdy11

That was a frustrating match to watch.  He blasted him with a great double leg and tried to coast.   You should know better agaist a returning all american, let alone a guy from Iowa.   Great potential but cant coast.  I know, we are all critics. ??? ??? ??? ???

Chinpin

I didn't see the match. Was Timmy wrestling to conservatively or was he gassed?

Handles II

He was wrestling conservatively because in his mind, he was, or would become gassed. At least that's what it appeared to be, and having watched him wrestle a dozen or so times, it was the same as always. I think he's got plenty of gas, but he's afraid of running out so he coasts.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Unleash the power Timmy !! 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

fightfightfight

Timmy's wrestling very solid right now.  While he could and should have won that match, he's figuring out what's working for him.  Last year he did go all out offensively a few matches.  He did it against Schiller and took him down three times in the first period. However, his strength isn't at taking a lot of shots because he struggles when they aren't great shots and people get their weight on top of him and he holds on to the leg.  He's better when he takes fewer shots but they are extremely good and explosive shots.  I think he could take some a little more often, but I definitely don't think he is just "coasting".  You don't coast your way to the finals at the Midlands.

bigG

Not many tournaments are quite that rigorous to get to the finals. I'm very impressed by his obvious work ethic to address his weaknesses as a younger wrestler and make that final. Midlands is one tough tourney.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

He just seemed to lose his focus during the mini blood break and was not ready for the restart with 12 seconds left.  I believe he would have one the match without that pause in the action. 

I still wish the Badgers were coached to have a more aggressive attack especially during this part of the season.  Wrestle a match and just attack for 7 minutes.  If you lose with some mistakes, then you lose but you have learned something and hopefully have made yourselves better. 

The transition to college wrestling is often difficult with learning to wrestle more close tight matches than any wrestlers had in high school but once they have made that transition, the great ones realize they can take it even further and still dominate college matches.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Birdy11

Well needless to say, the more aggressive wrestler won.   It is nice that it wasnt an huge match that matters like it will at the end of the year but i do think that more shots should have been taken.   you dont seem to see many big names taking those breaks.   I didnt see his matches prior but it sure did seem evident that he coasted the last period or two of that match.  Again, just an observation.

wrestle03

That was McCall's match to win and he let it slip away.  I do think he coasted a bit too much in the 3rd period.  Did he get hit with one or two stalling calls in the 3rd?  He was hanging on.............wish he would have taken a shot and put the match away when he had the chance.  Still a very nice performance in a tough tournament.