Congrats Nick Becker-UW Parkside

Started by jdwrestle, March 13, 2017, 02:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwrestle

Kenosha News - Sunday, March 12, 2017

Last year, Nick Becker became the third member of his family to win a national championship.On Saturday, the UW Parkside junior became the first one to claim back to-back titles. Becker won both matches at 174 pounds at the NCAA Division II National Championship in Birmingham, Ala., to became the second Ranger to win two titles. The other was Bill West, who claimed NAIA championships in 1974 and '75. "It's pretty cool to have two brothers that won national titles," he said. "But obviously deep down, you always want to be better than them. I guess you could say I've kind of got the leg up on them now." For the second consecutive season, the junior beat Blaze Shade of UNC Pembroke in the fi nal. He won the rematch, 8-4, to
finish the season with a 25-0 record and increase his school-record winning streak to 66 matches in a row. "The difference was the pace and my style of keeping the pressure on,wrestling the full 7 minutes," Becker said. "I gave up an early take down, but I just kept pushing the pace, kept attacking and ended up getting three takedowns after that." Becker won both matches on Friday and also defeated Ohio Valley's Dalton George, 16-by technical fall, in the semifinals earlier on Saturday. Recently named the Great Lakes Valley Conference wrestler of the year, Becker was top ranked all season in his weight class after finishing 41-0 last season.So has anyone mentioned the possibility of winning his third straight crown next year? "Not yet," he said. "Obviously, that's the goal. I'll take some time off, let my body heal up, and then get back to training here in a week to win another one."
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

Ghetto

Animal.

Glad he came home to win a few titles.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove