NCAA At-Large Announced!

Started by crossface21, March 07, 2017, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

A difference I noticed right away in Ohio is the kids who are training year round are training to beat PA (arguably the best wrestling state, especially in terms of depth of quality). Ohio is deep already, but they want to be better than the best wrestling state in the country, and that is how we train the kids at our club here in SW Ohio. It's not to downplay a state title or anything, but we really step up the training for the Super 32, Fargo and UWW cadet/jr.

wrestlemania

"I think it validates that he and his staff aren't doing a good on taking guys to the next level!"

Except for the champions he has coached or national finalists too.

"The count is up to 10 national titles won by our native sons since Barry's been HC, doesn't go a whole lot deeper."

And to think Rein's title was three coaches ago, including himself. What's their excuse?

wrestlemania

billymurphy

Clearly Medbery has greatly improved since he has come to Wisconsin.  But
I assume Brandvold and the Olympic year had a lot to do with that.

Ghetto

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on March 10, 2017, 06:34:26 AM
Donny Pritzlaff wouldn't say Barry helped him win titles. Andrew and Graff was helped by Donny! So it does validate his lack of! If you think I'm wrong, take a look at where they are, who they associate themselves with, where did they go, and why guys left to go wrestle elsewhere!

I'm a big fan of Graff's, and love watching him wrestle, but I'll be honest in saying that he can't win the big one. He couldn't do it at Wisconsin, and he can't do it internationally. Whoever he's working with now hasn't cured that problem either.

I don't know Graff's story, but the regional training center at Madison isn't as well established as NYAC. It's basically Nazar. He's too big for Graff. Graff had to move to where they had training partners. The thought of Nazar working with the Wick's and the other middle weight recruits is exciting.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hammen

Tyler is actually back living in the Columbus area now. Met up with him the last 2 weekends as we were both coaching at the same District and then the state tournament.

jaguarwrestler

we only have 1 D1 program and it is average, the other states you mentioned have more opportunities for in state kids. Illinois, Iowa, Michigan all have 3 D1 programs so if kids want to stay home and wrestle they have many more chances. In PA they have like 7 or 8 programs. But here if you can't get into the UW or don't want to go to Madison then your going to have to go out of state and then you better be able to get a scholarship... so they end up staying home to wrestle D2/D3 or just not compete. We also have a problem having good wrestling inside our larger cities where all the kids are. I mean look at Green Bay, Milwaukee and Madison how many state champs from any of those cities in the last 10 years from a city school.... maybe a few. That is pretty sad. How many ranked teams came from one of these cities this year? Did they have any? 
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!