Graff?

Started by npope, January 29, 2015, 12:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empty99

It's obvious that TG has connected with the Russian coach in Ohio. He has re-invented himself, we should all be happy for him... I can't help but notice that he couldn't get out of Madison fast enough, why can't we ask the tough questions once in a while. The Badgers need a light guy coach bad...

dad 2 5

I really was hoping TG girlfriend was going to stay in town and he was going to help with the team and club. Just my guess...
I DON"T think Ty was running out of town like Empty wants to state it.

Briopiate

Quote from: empty99 on February 01, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
It's obvious that TG has connected with the Russian coach in Ohio. He has re-invented himself, we should all be happy for him... I can't help but notice that he couldn't get out of Madison fast enough, why can't we ask the tough questions once in a while. The Badgers need a light guy coach bad...

I really like Barry, as a HS kid I went to Iowa wrestling camps, and Barry helped me out immensely. He was my favorite there, so I am not bashing or looking for his removal or anything...

BUT, to ask one of those tough questions regarding Wisconsin and Tyler Graff: If Tyler had gone to Iowa or OK ST.,  does anyone think he would have earned one or more NCAA titles in his career?

Jimmy

Couldn't beat Ramos ,never makes varsity in Iowa

Ghetto

Graff was always great on his feet. Freestyle would by far be his best style. I was more surprised when he took time off, but that loss in NCAAs was a tough one. Then placing 4th at the US open also a bit disappointing. 57 is tough as heck, but I am glad to see him make another run at it.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hammer

Quote from: Jimmy on February 02, 2015, 09:07:39 PM
Couldn't beat Ramos ,never makes varsity in Iowa

Well maybe with the coaching in Iowa, TG beats Ramos. You have to wonder a tad. Trying to compare apples to apples with both of them.

I think TG did just fine in Madison. Looking back on it he got some pretty hefty hardware though the title did alude him but I enjoyed him in Madison and really hopes he continues to improve and reaches his goals.

Handles II

Graff simply wasted too much time vs Ramos in the big 10's, slowly trying to crawl off the mat, not standing and trying for an escape... NCAA's a few funk rolls that Barry specifically said in an interview that they didn't want him to do, cost him nearfall points. Could have been a win both times. 
Wrestlers make those decisions in an instant. They often go with what they are comfortable with, or what has worked in the past, not always what is coached. No coach can will a kid to hit a move if the kid doesn't want to.
Glad to see that Graff is back at it. He probably has a different mind set now. He and his new coaches have probably benefited from his past experiences. Hope he does very well.

TLV

I think that one of the things that hurt him in college....especially out of the Big 10 where refs didn't know his style, was his continual backing up. Yep, he was setting up takedowns......great takedowns......but he was backing up and the NCAA, the refs did not appreciate what he was  trying to set up. JMO.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

empty99

He needed a coach and now he's got one. I like Ramos, but I don't see him going very far in FS. Wrestling hard and go-behinds? I don't think so. Graff has better stuff, has speed and physical gifts that most would kill for. He just needs to get pointed in the right direction, GO Tyler!!!

bigG

Quote from: TLV on February 04, 2015, 05:28:59 PM
I think that one of the things that hurt him in college....especially out of the Big 10 where refs didn't know his style, was his continual backing up. Yep, he was setting up takedowns......great takedowns......but he was backing up and the NCAA, the refs did not appreciate what he was  trying to set up. JMO.

That's a good point. I also felt he was too rideable. Had trouble gettting out of bottom against good wrestlers. FS seems perfect for Graff. He is slick as heck.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: TLV on February 04, 2015, 05:28:59 PM

Continually backing up (for whatever reason) is stalling. I am just surprised that he wasn't consistently called on that point throughout the year.

Yes, I get it that he was trying to set up his attack, but if your strategy is that "I won't engage my opponent unless he puts his foot exactly where I want it before I even will come close to touching him," well then, I am sorry, but that is stalling - one wrestler doesn't/shouldn't get that level of control in a match. That's like saying I want to start each period with my opponent's leg in the air before I am willing to engage him (yes, yes, I know, that was the freestyle clinch. Think how dumb/unfair that was).

I love Graff and what he accomplished, but his tactics were maddening to me.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

npope,
Graff was normally extremely aggressive in all his matches during the regular season so stalling in those matches was not a factor.
But, you are totally correct to say that he was stalling in his Big Ten Tournament finals matches and
his national finals match and for sure anytime he wrestled Jordan Oliver as Graff seemed to be
afraid of him.  Graff had extreme natural gifts as a wrestler.  The Badgers have Taylor at 133 lbs right now,
and although not as naturally talented as Graff, shows burning desire in his wrestling so it will be interesting to
see how extreme determination gets him. It would be nice to see a few Wisconsin guys on the team show that kind
of desire. 

npope

Quote from: billymurphy on February 05, 2015, 10:31:48 AM
npope,
Graff was normally extremely aggressive in all his matches during the regular season so stalling in those matches was not a factor.
But, you are totally correct to say that he was stalling in his Big Ten Tournament finals matches and
his national finals match and for sure anytime he wrestled Jordan Oliver as Graff seemed to be
afraid of him.  Graff had extreme natural gifts as a wrestler.  The Badgers have Taylor at 133 lbs right now,
and although not as naturally talented as Graff, shows burning desire in his wrestling so it will be interesting to
see how extreme determination gets him. It would be nice to see a few Wisconsin guys on the team show that kind
of desire. 

Yes, the only time I saw Graff wrestle was in the Big Ten tourneys and in the NCAA meets. His style was consistent with my description above in those matches. However, it is quite possible that he was a different animal when going against the top competition.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Huckfinn

I remember Graff getting ahead of Ramos in several matches.   Ramos always seemed to have more determination and energy in the end.  That rivalry was one of most all-time frustrating, so close.

I don't know what the problem was, but I doubt it was conditioning.    I remember sometimes I would get so psyched for a big match, I'd be exhausted in 2nd period.   There are lots of factors that can sap energy.

Barou

Quote from: empty99 on February 04, 2015, 07:31:26 PM
He needed a coach and now he's got one. I like Ramos, but I don't see him going very far in FS. Wrestling hard and go-behinds? I don't think so. Graff has better stuff, has speed and physical gifts that most would kill for. He just needs to get pointed in the right direction, GO Tyler!!!

Ramos is ranked 19th in the world right now so some might argue you could see it as "going far" already. Graff wrestled fantastic and Ramos has been doing well at the senior level for the short time he's been out of college. Could be many battles ahead for those guys.

Congratulations Graff on an excellent tournament.
JHI Mafia