US Open Pre-seeds

Started by hammen, April 16, 2014, 02:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

The seedings look to be more focused on current results. Varner is just getting back into things.

badgerjohn

Quote from: hammen on April 16, 2014, 02:03:27 PM
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2014/April/15/Pre-seeds-announced-for-Las-Vegas-ASICS-Senior-Open-in-freestyle

Graff #3 at 57 kilos :)
Ruschell #7 at 70 kilos

Graff goes down, Ruschell goes up.  Interesting.  Although I think Ruschell wrestled at the new 70 kilo last time out.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

badgerjohn

Quote from: coconut joe on April 16, 2014, 03:18:20 PM
yes, it looks like all the 2013 world team members who are wrestling are #1 seeds. 

What are the chances that Graff doesn't make weight?

Slim to none.  Graff is hard core disciplined on that which he has control of.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

npope

I only wonder which leg he cut off?

Dropping to 125.5 may not be within his control; sometimes it simply isn't possible. I guess we'll see.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammen

Quote from: npope on April 16, 2014, 07:11:36 PM

Dropping to 125.5 may not be within his control; sometimes it simply isn't possible. I guess we'll see.

Tyler is not as heavy as some people think. Perhaps when he briefly wrestled at 141 people assumed it was because he was getting big. Tyler was probably the same size at 141 then that Jesse was this year. I don't think it will be that tough for him to get it done. The way he works out, that last work out before weigh ins will be about 5-6 lbs, meaning he is never actually standing under 130 for more than a few minutes. I'm very excited to see him beat up on the guys I used to compete against.

Badger_Fan

I don't quite follow - why won't dropping be within his control?

billymurphy

Graff has as good as chance of winning as any of those guys.  This weight puts him at a significant advantage as he should be the biggest guy.
It comes down to how he feels after making weight.

npope

Quote from: Badger_Fan on April 16, 2014, 08:34:48 PM

I don't quite follow - why won't dropping be within his control?

My point is that just because somebody wants to be at a weight doesn't necessarily mean that they can make that weight. Thus, making 125.5 may not be under his control.

I know Graff's walking around weight is something in the mid-140s, but he isn't carrying around a lot of body fat at that weight either; he looked lean at 133. I also understand that the international rules allow guys to "bounce down" to make weight and then they go straight back up again, so Graff wouldn't have a prolonged stay at 125 if/when he makes it, but getting close enough to "bounce down" is part of the problem. I wrestled about that same weight when I was competing and as a little guy, I can say with some confidence that if he is coming from the mid-140s, by the time he gets to 130 to even get him in the "bounce" range, well, he won't be doing very well. He'll be dry, tired, etc. And little guys simply don't shed 5-6 pounds in a workout after they have already been cutting some water weight. I would think that 2-3 pounds in a "bounce" session might be a more reasonable expectation.

Anyway, all of this is just speculation on my part; I have no idea as to his specific situation. But I do know that that drop, for a little guy, isn't simple and is no sure thing. It's just sad that so many of our freestylers are getting caught in this situation under the new weights.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammen

Based on his weight in March, Tyler didn't get above 141. Probably not even above 140. With how healthy and disciplined Tyler is, I trust he will be okay. Since this is his first time making that weight, he will probably learn a few things in the process, which should help with his run at WTT in Madison.

billymurphy

You have to believe he is extremely hungry after what happened in the NCAA finals.  This new weight may actually give him an edge as there is not nearly as much depth at this lower weight.

hammen

Quote from: billymurphy on April 17, 2014, 08:08:51 AM
You have to believe he is extremely hungry after what happened in the NCAA finals.  This new weight may actually give him an edge as there is not nearly as much depth at this lower weight.

I completely agree. When the new weights came out it was pretty clear Tyler had to go 57 as moving up to 66 is not an option to reach his goals. Fresh new competition outside of Hochstrasser, who he has owned recently, will be great for Tyler's mindset after he didn't achieve his collegiate goal.

J Feiner

Not sure if you guys know this or not, but Directv (channel 625) is covering the wrestling Friday and Saturday nights from 9:00 - 11:00pm, Central time....  I believe it's the Semi's and Finals.... I'm not sure if that's live or not.
If you wanna be quick, you gotta be fast......

buc65

Harris

What about JT?  He is ranked 3rd in the senior Greco ranking.