thoughts on next year

Started by neutral, March 23, 2014, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

2013-14             2013-14                                       2014-15
name            home        status      height   weight   (other info)                                  weight

Cavallaris           IL        RS JR       5-3   125            
Taylor           OH        RS FR       5-4   125      NCAA qualifier                       133?-141?
Jiminez            IL        HS 12              126      Top 100 - 4x IL D1 state champ        125?
Lanz                    IL        HS 12                 126           4x WI D2 state champ        125?
Graff                   CO        RS SR       5-4   133      2nd/NCAA - (All-American)      
Theilke           WI        RS FR       5-7   141      (130/Greco)                       133?-141?
Crone                   WI        FR       5-9   141            
Grahek           WI          FR       5-10   141            
Rowh                   MN        HS 12              132      2nd - 3rd - 5th - 5th      
Donar                   WI        FR       5-10   149            
Lubeck           WI        RS FR       5-7   149      NCAA qualifier                           149?
Ruschel           KY         RS FR       5-10   149            
Cathery           IL        RS FR       5-8   157            
Jordan           OH        RS FR       5-10   157      7th/NCAA - (All-American)           157
Liegel (Seth)       WI        FR       5-11   157            
Moe                   WI        FR       6-0   157            
Prezzia           PA        RS SR       5-9   157            
Weber           IL        FR       5-10   157            
Yde                   WI        RS JR       5-11   157            
York                   WI        RS SR       5-9   157            
Scharenbrock   WI        HS 12              152      2x WI D1 state champ   ... (corrected from 3x)   
Cox                   MN        RS JR       6-0   165            
Cousins           FL        RS JR       5-11   174            
Hochstaetter   WI        RS SO       5-10   174            
Iczkowski           WI        RS JR       5-11   174            
Liegel (Scott)   WI        SR       5-11   174      NCAA qualifier      
Stilling           WI        FR       5-11   174            
Hein                   WI        RS SR       6-1   184      NCAA qualifier      
Veling                   WI        RS FR       5-11   184            
Christenson           WA        HS 12              182      Top 100 - (2x WA state champ)      
McCall           NC        RS JR       5-10   197      NCAA qualifier                           197
Peissig           WI        FR       5-10   197            
Robertson           IL        FR       5-11   197            
Horwath           MN        RS SO       6-5   285            
Medberry           CO        RS SO       6-1   285      NCAA qualifier                           285
Tobin                   WI        RS SR       6-1   285            
Schmidt           WI        HS 12              285      2x WI D1 state champ      
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

... sorry about the formatting ... it's impossible in this environment

Anybody have any insight on what might happen at 165 & 1174?

smitty71

165 is anybody's guess, but I don't think Medbery will be able to add enough to compete ate 1174!
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

billymurphy

Seth liegel competed at 165 in several tournaments and did well.  He certainly is the frontrunner.

I just do not believe Schmidt will be big enough for a heavyweight in the Big Ten.  I hope he goes 197.
Not to say there have not been good 220 lbs guys that ended up at heavyweight.  Nelson of Minnesota did.
Luke Destiche has more of a heavyweight's body in my opinion.
I said the same thing when Kegan Gennrich was on the team and the plan for him was to go 197.
That plan sounded impossible to me.  He won state at 160. I realize he is tall, but that is
asking a lot.

mkm13

I think we can be about as good next year as we were this year.  You can't replace Graff with just 1 guy, but I think with all the other guys with a year more experience, Thielke potentially moving to his ideal weight, and adding the guys of RS (and maybe true frosh Christensen or Jimenez), we will be better.

Can Taylor stay at 125?  If so, it likely makes sense to redshirt Jimenez.
Will Thielke move down to 133?  If so, I think he can be a potential AA.
If Thielke does move down, who steps in at 141?  Crone is now apparently too big.  Can Lubeck make the cut?  He did not appear to be a small 149.
Will Jordan stay at 157 or move up to 165?
We will need guys to step up at 165 and 174 if Jordan stay sat 157.  I think Liegel can be one of them.
Will be interesting to see how Robertson does.  I think at a minimum he can wrestle to the level Hein wrestled this year as a RS.
Where does Christensen fit in?  I assume he will RS if he is was a true 182 that he was wrestling this year.  If he could make 174, do you wrestle him right away?

I think Taylor, Thielke, Jordan and Medberry all have a chance to AA next year. 

brotherofagoodwrestler

How many time state champ is Scharenbrock?

whatever

Quote from: brotherofagoodwrestler on March 23, 2014, 05:57:26 PM

Good catch - I believe he is a two-timer with a finals loss to Lubeck in OT his sophomore year and a DQ in Sectionals as a freshman.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

imnofish

Quote from: whatever on March 23, 2014, 06:38:13 PM
Quote from: brotherofagoodwrestler on March 23, 2014, 05:57:26 PM

Good catch - I believe he is a two-timer with a finals loss to Lubeck in OT his sophomore year and a DQ in Sectionals as a freshman.

You are correct.  Those were his only two losses.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

theunionchair

Quote from: mkm13 on March 23, 2014, 05:54:20 PM
I think we can be about as good next year as we were this year.  You can't replace Graff with just 1 guy, but I think with all the other guys with a year more experience, Thielke potentially moving to his ideal weight, and adding the guys of RS (and maybe true frosh Christensen or Jimenez), we will be better.

Can Taylor stay at 125?  If so, it likely makes sense to redshirt Jimenez.
Will Thielke move down to 133?  If so, I think he can be a potential AA.
If Thielke does move down, who steps in at 141?  Crone is now apparently too big.  Can Lubeck make the cut?  He did not appear to be a small 149.
Will Jordan stay at 157 or move up to 165?
We will need guys to step up at 165 and 174 if Jordan stay sat 157.  I think Liegel can be one of them.
Will be interesting to see how Robertson does.  I think at a minimum he can wrestle to the level Hein wrestled this year as a RS.
Where does Christensen fit in?  I assume he will RS if he is was a true 182 that he was wrestling this year.  If he could make 174, do you wrestle him right away?

I think Taylor, Thielke, Jordan and Medberry all have a chance to AA next year. 

Taylor -- Possible, with great upside in the tourny.
Thielke -- 2 years away from "possible" AA. I think you need to distinguish exciting wrestling (Thielke) from consistency (Jordan).
Jordon -- Lock it up.
Robertson -- Should be a qualifier.  Went 21-5 in open competition while competing unattached at 184 and 197 lbs. 3-3 at the Midlands and 3 tourny championships.
Medbery -- Very capable and possible, but is it probable? Maybe the biggest unknown for the next season. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes AA and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. Sure hope he does!

hammer

Hear goes my thoughts for 14-15

25 Taylor I think he can AA
33 Theike make the dance
41 ?? Not sure and if Crone cannt make it I doubt Lubeck could either
49 Lubeck round of 12?
57 Jordan AA
65 Leigal make the dance??
74 Stillings or someone else
84 Robertson Make the dance and round of 12
97 McCall round of 16?
HWT Medbury AA I believe

hammer

With Schmidt I believe he will grow into a big HWT.

I think some may be looking at this all wrong. I think with Schmitt your looking at a 3 year starter and 2 years of one being a redshirt and the other being a backup. We have 2 more years of Medbury so I think we are set there for right now.

I remember the announcers saying that this day and age more and more of the HWT have wrestled in other weight classes before ending up at the HWT class. I think 2 years of Schmidt lifting and wrestling will put him as a nice sized HWT in his sophomore year.

Dale Einerson

Schmidt was a single digit body fat 220...
Redshirt and pack on the muscle...bet he is a solid 250+ in open tournaments next year.

neutral

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 23, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
Schmidt was a single digit body fat 220...
Redshirt and pack on the muscle...bet he is a solid 250+ in open tournaments next year.

Is he playing football too?  If so ... what position?

billymurphy

Schmidt is athletic and has two years to lift weights. I accept that he is too big for 197.

This Badgers team is a freshman dominated team so it will take a year or two but
they will be better than we are giving them credit for.
Considering these guys are just freshman, look at what they accomplished.
Taylor has exceeded my expectations. Beat an Iowa kid.
Lubeck has exceeded my expectations.  Lubeck beat an Iowa kid at nationals.
Jordan has exceeded my expectations. Beat Iowa during the regular season.
Medbery(sophomore) has met my expectations. Beat an Iowa kid.
Thielke beat the third string Iowa kid and was cheated out of a shot to beat the varsity Iowa kid at nationals.
Seth Liegel and Robertson had good redshirt years and both are expected to start this year.
Christensen is a blue chip upper weight recruit and Jimenez the blue chip lower weight recruit.
Not impossible at all that one or both of them ends up wrestling this year, but redshirt seems more likely.

jaguarwrestler

Thielke at 133 is a top 5 wrestler... he was obviously small at 141 and he will be a big 133

If Taylor can't make 125 next year I suggest he hit the weights and go 141, I mean if he can't make 125 he must be mid to upper 130's already.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!