New Badger preview article

Started by leg turk, October 16, 2019, 07:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diddly

Surprised by the 125 discussion, including no mention of Rotondo and the apparent foregone conclusion re: a Barnett redshirt.  You wonder if he talked to the coaches or if this is 100% speculation on his part.

thesweep

I watched Wetter last year at the first dual and was underwhelmed. His opponent did shoot in on him and Wetter did an elevator and almost stuck the guy but other than that, Wetter was dominated. I assume he did the same thing similar to Watkins but was successful. If I remember correctly, Watkins was 17-10 last year competing unattached; I doubt Wetter would have as good a record from what I observed. With all that said, I would love if he proves me wrong.

Interestingly enough, Flowrestling has Barnett and Christiansen ranked in their Big Ten rankings.  I wonder if they know something we don't. Maybe if these guys are steamrolling and a top team finish is possible, they will be pulled?  How many conference matches do you need to get seeded at the B10 conference

imwi

thesweep

I agree everything seems to be whispers and we probably wont know until the season starts (Is November 1st here yet)?.  I think it's reasonable to think redshirts will be pulled if both the freshman and the team are having a tremendous amount of success. If we're on the bubble of being a top team, it will be interesting to see if they preserve the redshirts or not. At the end of the day, while being a "blood round" wrestler means you're pretty dang good, it also doesn't score many team points.

Id assume Cullen starts at 125. Why else does he cut down from 133 last year?  It will be interesting to see who ends the season at 125. With the same logic, Watkins transferred and probably assumes he would start. Will he be the 197 at the end?

It seems as though we have some competitive roster battles (157/174, maybe others?), which I would think will elevate quality of the starter as opposed to de facto starters.

DarkKnight

Eh, if a guy is interested in giving himself the best shot at 4 national titles, he'll most likely keep his shirt on, and not really worry about what you guys are talking about. Give the man's shirt a rest for now.

Don't wish time away, November comes soon enough. Enjoy some football and other fall activities. In fact, Christmas and winter will be here soon enough, than spring, and then we do it all over again.

I'm pumped for November, don't get me wrong... but it'll get here soon enough. it's already the past the middle of October.

bigoil

Quote from: DarkKnight on October 17, 2019, 03:11:12 PM
Eh, if a guy is interested in giving himself the best shot at 4 national titles, he'll most likely keep his shirt on, and not really worry about what you guys are talking about. Give the man's shirt a rest for now.

Don't wish time away, November comes soon enough. Enjoy some football and other fall activities. In fact, Christmas and winter will be here soon enough, than spring, and then we do it all over again.

I'm pumped for November, don't get me wrong... but it'll get here soon enough. it's already the past the middle of October.
I don't believe it is the wrestlers choice as to redshirt or not, the coach is going to put the best lineup out there he can and if there are marginal gains, yes, you would use the redshirt for many reasons.