One thing I would adjust at State

Started by CoachZ, March 01, 2015, 10:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

You guys don't think a 3rd place means anything to the wrestler's, the team, the coaches, and/or the community??  Wow....I don't want to be invloved in a sport that doesn't feel that 3rd place at state is a huge team accomplishment.  I could care less what other sports do....wrestling is different, and always will be.

tess5

this is from my son a junior wrestled his first state tournament he knew going in that his chances of a second match where slim to none his first match was against a (2) time returning state champ.  Dad the trip to state kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. right away i ask why?
he says only wrestling one match sucks because i know that i can wrestle and maybe beat some of the other guys in my bracket but to wrestle only one time kind of makes all of the work less meaning full. a moment of silence while i thought of my response. and before i could say anything he says i will be back next year and i will win my first match!! i didn't need to say another word 

CoachZ

Quote from: HMsDad on March 02, 2015, 06:32:51 AM
Quote from: MB on March 02, 2015, 06:16:47 AM
I don't think it matters what weight class starts first, the last match of the tournament will still have fewer spectators in the stands. Fans generally leave when everyone  on their Team has finished wrestling.

I wouldn't say that is the case. Did you see the fans flocking to the exits after the D1 170 match was done?

Right. There is always going to be some that leave, it just shouldn't have to always be at the 195-285 weight classes. Those kids deserve to wrestle in front of a full house too.

shift

100% agree Dman...   A lot of our community is traveling 2 hours on Saturday and if things don't go well at 10 AM your Dang right we all would stay to watch the 3rd place match, to me personally I think its flat out dumb as inappropriate term3...  The team, coaches, friends & family all make the exciting trip down there to possibly go 1 and done and turn around and go right back home!!??!! This is not to say all athletes don't put there blood, sweat & tears into a sport but if comes down to it walking away with a TEAM 3rd place medal would be huge for these kids knowing they individually rallied around one another to make it happen...  Just my 2 cents....

DocWrestling

Quote from: whatever on March 02, 2015, 09:11:29 AM
Quote from: bigG on March 02, 2015, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: bfboy on March 01, 2015, 10:43:15 PM
I would like to change the 1-2-2 rule on the back side of the brackets.  These are state caliber kids, not JV kids.  They deserve to wrestle a full 6 minutes.

Big-time agree with this. They've worked too hard and deserve the full time.

I'm not so sure most wrestlers at the State tournament really give a rip.

Many wrestlers have lost a chance at a goal of making the finals or being a state champ and some are emotionally drained.  To somehow think that every wrestler is just champing at the bit to compete for 6 full minutes in a wrestleback match may not necessarily be what the competitors want.

When both competitors know the consolation matches are going to be 5 minutes in length going in, I'd would venture that the overwhelming majority of them are just fine with it.....

Some may want 1-1-1! ;D  It does seem that there are a lot fewer wrestlers that forfeit the backside after losing compared to years ago
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Street Glide

It's really quite simple, at the end of the day, 2 matches and 6 minute matches.  Come on man do the right thing, put the kids first and the bureaucratic power plays away.

CoachZ

So circling back around to the original post about random drawing for the finals.

What if.... semi finals are wrestled as they normally would be. WIAA brings former Wisconsin HS wrestling or college great to do the random draw down on the floor after the last semi final matches are wrestled. People may be interested in staying through all the semi's to see what the draw is or to see a Lee Kemp or whoever they would bring in.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Just a thought.

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

The order for each division would not have to be the same either
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Paul Harvey

And now you know........ the rest of the story........Good Day!