One thing I would adjust at State

Started by CoachZ, March 01, 2015, 10:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachZ

Hands down, Championship Saturday is the best in all of HS sports. The crowd and the energy is just awesome. I have one issue with it though. Every year it starts out great and there are good matches all the way through, yet not everyone see's them. It seems like every year right around 195 people start leaving. Then 220 comes around and more people leave, on to 285 and it seems as if the Kohl Center is almost half empty.

Why can't the WIAA random draw for the starting weight of the finals? Why shouldn't these heavier kids get to wrestle in front of a full house and feel that energy. The waiting period between matches obviously isn't a issue. Have the tournament start at 106 like normal, just draw for the starting weight at the finals.

Is this unrealistic?

Orca

I agree totally. We saw them do this at the collegiate level. Why not at the high school level? Every kid that made the final deserves to wrestle in front of a packed Kohl Center.
What was hard to bear is sweet to remember

bfboy

I would like to change the 1-2-2 rule on the back side of the brackets.  These are state caliber kids, not JV kids.  They deserve to wrestle a full 6 minutes.

Numbers

Quote from: CoachZ on March 01, 2015, 10:32:33 PM
Hands down, Championship Saturday is the best in all of HS sports. The crowd and the energy is just awesome. I have one issue with it though. Every year it starts out great and there are good matches all the way through, yet not everyone see's them. It seems like every year right around 195 people start leaving. Then 220 comes around and more people leave, on to 285 and it seems as if the Kohl Center is almost half empty.

Why can't the WIAA random draw for the starting weight of the finals? Why shouldn't these heavier kids get to wrestle in front of a full house and feel that energy. The waiting period between matches obviously isn't a issue. Have the tournament start at 106 like normal, just draw for the starting weight at the finals.

Is this unrealistic?

Not sure this is realistic at the high school level. Don't think the WIAA wants to pick.  Should the WIAA also pick which events go last for swimming and track & field the day of the state finals?  That said - I would assume this year would have ended with the 170 pound finals (but maybe 126 with two returning champions in D2).

CoachZ

Quote from: Numbers on March 01, 2015, 10:58:15 PM

Is this unrealistic?

Not sure this is realistic at the high school level. Don't think the WIAA wants to pick.  Should the WIAA also pick which events go last for swimming and track & field the day of the state finals?  That said - I would assume this year would have ended with the 170 pound finals (but maybe 126 with two returning champions in D2).

We do a random draw for every dual meet. Team Sectionals they random draw. I would assume they do the same at Team State, correct me if I'm wrong, I've never been there.

What's the difference? I could understand if it's how it used to be and we always start at 106. I understand at individual tournaments we start at 106. It's not black and white, it's not always 106 for every event. I'm not familiar with track and swimming, so I can't really compare.

littleguy301

Is this unrealistic?

Random draws are the norm now, I would love to see this at the state also. I think every weight class should have a chance to have a full crowd to see them do their thing!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Street Glide

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 01, 2015, 11:35:42 PM

Is this unrealistic?

Random draws are the norm now, I would love to see this at the state also. I think every weight class should have a chance to have a full crowd to see them do their thing!

Seems like a no brainier.  One less thing to have to work on.

jchap

Quote from: Numbers on March 01, 2015, 10:58:15 PM

Is this unrealistic?

Not sure this is realistic at the high school level. Don't think the WIAA wants to pick.  Should the WIAA also pick which events go last for swimming and track & field the day of the state finals?  That said - I would assume this year would have ended with the 170 pound finals (but maybe 126 with two returning champions in D2).
Illinois does a random draw for the starting weight at their individual state finals.

woody53

Take it to the Coaches association and see what they think.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

fryguy518

Draw for starting weight sounds like a winner to me. Also straight up double elimination. Otherwise all is pretty freaken awesome!!!

MB

I don't think it matters what weight class starts first, the last match of the tournament will still have fewer spectators in the stands. Fans generally leave when everyone  on their Team has finished wrestling.

HMsDad

Quote from: MB on March 02, 2015, 06:16:47 AM
I don't think it matters what weight class starts first, the last match of the tournament will still have fewer spectators in the stands. Fans generally leave when everyone  on their Team has finished wrestling.

I wouldn't say that is the case. Did you see the fans flocking to the exits after the D1 170 match was done?

Quack

Quote from: MB on March 02, 2015, 06:16:47 AM
I am guessing this is the point. Let different weight classes find out what it is like to wrestle in front of a full house.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

Paul Harvey

Quote from: bfboy on March 01, 2015, 10:43:15 PM
I would like to change the 1-2-2 rule on the back side of the brackets.  These are state caliber kids, not JV kids.  They deserve to wrestle a full 6 minutes.

Agreed!
And now you know........ the rest of the story........Good Day!

jaguarwrestler

2 things I would like to see

after 1st round of D1 on Thursday - instead of another round of D1 and 6 mats of quarters have 2 mats for each division, they each have 4 matches at each weight to wrestle that night so it wouldn't take any longer. More fans in the stand when all 3 are going at once and makes watching a lot of good D1 matches easier on 2 mats versus 6

semis - not willing to put it on 3 mats like it was at the fieldhouse, OK how about this... leave the 6 mats set up, start your 1st semi at 106 on Mat 1 in D1, in D2 have your first match at 106 on mat 4 and in D3 on mat 5, immediately following the end of the match the next semi follows on the opposite mat that was open during the first match. So no break between matches but only 3 at once. Sorry but semis at state is a big deal and I have seen brothers and teammates wrestling at the same time more than once. Not fair to the coaches, wrestlers, parents and fans imo. 
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!