Pairings

Started by dforsythe, May 01, 2024, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dforsythe

They released the assignments for next year on the WIAA website.

https://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Winter/Boys-Wrestling/Tournament

WrestlerSB80

Interesting grouping. Definitely going to be some kids staying home from state,

crossface21

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 01, 2024, 03:35:23 PMInteresting grouping. Definitely going to be some kids staying home from state,

There always are.

hutgoose

Who decides this? Sectional F  ??? Just handing out trips to state at that sectional

Numbers

Quote from: hutgoose on May 01, 2024, 09:41:58 PMWho decides this? Sectional F  ??? Just handing out trips to state at that sectional
Well state is seeded.  How many of the 28 qualifiers will be 14-16 seeds?  Is the preseason over/under 22.5?

rankwizard

Quote from: hutgoose on May 01, 2024, 09:41:58 PMWho decides this? Sectional F  ??? Just handing out trips to state at that sectional

well hopefully the system can be fixed in a few years

Numbers

Quote from: rankwizard on May 02, 2024, 09:20:32 AM

well hopefully the system can be fixed in a few years

Idea for WIAA to consider for individual sectional team assignment.

Each school is assigned a score based on advancement points earned the previous state tournament.  1 point per win on championship side, 1/2 point per win on consolation side.  (Not sure if a win in placement matches matter much, but could use "wins" per side of bracket instead of "advancement points" if TrackWrestling could easily provide those numbers.)  Try to better balance those points per sectional across the state.

Once the sectionals are more balanced, consider using the previous years sectional advancement points scored to help balance the regional team allocation.

jets152

Am I seeing correctly that Luxemburg-Casco is going D1? I apologize if I missed discussion on this before...was this anticipated?
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

Wrath

The inclusion theory that the WIAA uses for an excuse to have weak regionals/sectionals is B.S.

Ghetto

Sectional F has some issues, no doubt.

I hear the argument that there are good kids staying home from state because they are in sectional X and it is very tough at their weight. That's tough for those kids. They may not have the flexibility to move up or down, and for that reason can't be the top two in the sectional.

There is something to be said for getting kids to state from programs that are not historically ones that send kids to state. Success brings success. If a kid from a team say, in the city of Madison/Milwaukee, etc. goes to state, maybe it inspires a kid to go out for wrestling, stick with it, etc. seeing that a kid from his/her school CAN go to state.

We didn't get helped by the switches either. That's for sure.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Fan1

Does anyone know what the process is for regional assignments?  Is there a group at the WIAA responsible and is the process or criteria available to the public?  Seems strange to send Brown Deer, Nicolet and Whitefish Bay out west with Oconomowoc, Watertown and Beaver Dam literally driving past teams put in Sectional F: Wauwatosas, Brookfield East/Central, Milwaukee Lutheran and Wisconsin Lutheran.

Anyone have insight why PDC wasn't moved up to D1 like LC?

dforsythe

Quote from: Fan1 on May 03, 2024, 08:42:30 AMDoes anyone know what the process is for regional assignments?  Is there a group at the WIAA responsible and is the process or criteria available to the public?  Seems strange to send Brown Deer, Nicolet and Whitefish Bay out west with Oconomowoc, Watertown and Beaver Dam literally driving past teams put in Sectional F: Wauwatosas, Brookfield East/Central, Milwaukee Lutheran and Wisconsin Lutheran.

PDC is in division 2 because their enrollment fell and they should have been in division 3 this year. So the competitive balance rules pushed them from division 3 to division 2.

rankwizard

Quote from: Fan1 on May 03, 2024, 08:42:30 AMDoes anyone know what the process is for regional assignments?  Is there a group at the WIAA responsible and is the process or criteria available to the public?  Seems strange to send Brown Deer, Nicolet and Whitefish Bay out west with Oconomowoc, Watertown and Beaver Dam literally driving past teams put in Sectional F: Wauwatosas, Brookfield East/Central, Milwaukee Lutheran and Wisconsin Lutheran.

This has been said already but i think you missed it.. and thats okay. PDC has an enrollment which would put them in D3, so they got moved up to D2.

This set up sets up a PDC vs Fennimore sectional ( two teams with title aspirations next year)
Freedom is happy LC is up to D1 but of course they now get Coleman. good competition to look forward to for sure.

I would like to see sectionals arrangements be improved upon for sure, using data to rank the teams and separating the top talent a little better, but I don't think people like my ideas yet.

DocWrestling

These pairings just don't make sense and really take the fun out of it.

D1 Sectional C goes from Green Bay and Luxembourg Casco to Port Washington but at least combines different conferences together.

D1 Sectional B- Regional 2 and Sectional H-Regional 2 are basically a repeat of the conference tournament.  Might as well use the conference tournament to seed the regional.  Regionals are killing the conference tournaments.

Obviously D1 sectional F is a joke.  Those regionals will be over in 2 hours.

Would really like to see some actual thought put into these assignments for the benefit of wrestling in general rather than just the benefit of geography.

All regionals team champs and runner-ups should be re-seeded like every other sport does for team state qualification
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

rankwizard

A change will happen in the future.

For now we will ride this current system- we are used to it and provides plenty of good storylines come regional time.