Midlands Tournament Information 12/29/2022 - 12/30/2022

Started by dad 2 5, December 26, 2022, 12:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

head57

Dean didn't look sharp tonight. Seemed to lack energy. Monday definitely keeps you on your toes.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

TomM

125 - 1st Place Match Eric Barnett (Wisconsin) won by decision over Brandon Courtney (Arizona State) (Dec 6-2)
157 - 1st Place Match Trevor Chumbley - Northwestern Maj 8-0 over Drew Scharenbrock - Wisconsin
157 - 5th Place Match Garrett Model - Wisconsin Dec 3-0 over Andrew Clark - Rutgers
165 - 1st Place Match Quincy Monday - Princeton Dec 4-3 over Dean Hamiti - Wisconsin

184 - 1st Place Match Reece Heller - Pittsburgh   Dec 7-5 over Jaritt Shinhoster - UW-Whitewater

197 - 1st Place Match Zac Braunagel (Illinois) won in tie breaker - 2 over Braxton Amos (Wisconsin) (TB-2 2-1)
285 - 5th Place Match Colton McKiernan (SIU Edwardsville) won by medical forfeit over Trent Hillger (Wisconsin) (MFF)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

BadgerOne

Barnett and Scharenbrock impressed.  Scharenbrock outplaced and outscored Model.  You would think Drew has made a case to at least get an opportunity to wrestle off for a chance to start.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

kabrvi

Braxton seems like a great kid and he competes until the end, but until he can take the high level opponent down he will not get where he wants to go. 

3 min 1st period
Out almost immediately in the third
2 min
OT 2 min

7 minutes of opportunity to take your opponent down. 

It is his Achilles heel.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: kabrvi on December 30, 2022, 08:45:22 PMBraxton seems like a great kid and he competes until the end, but until he can take the high level opponent down he will not get where he wants to go. 

3 min 1st period
Out almost immediately in the third
2 min
OT 2 min

7 minutes of opportunity to take your opponent down. 

It is his Achilles heel.

When he seemed to focus on Greco this off-season...it made me a bit skeptical. I can't think of a whole lot of Greco National Champs. You look at the Greco World Team, it's not exactly filled with dominant College Wrestlers.

Schultz from ASU comes to mind...of course HWT is a lot different with all the hand fighting and the style. Amos is clearly capable of wrestling either style, I'd just prefer to see him Wrestle Freestyle even if he had less of a World Team.

Dennis Hall, Jesse Thielke. No way you can tell me either COULDN'T have been great College Wrestlers. It's just their preferred style wasn't as conducive to Collegiate success. 

Also, 125 for ASU is going to be REAL interesting. They've got a National Finalist and a multi time AA who's behind a Freshmen right now(who is undefeated and ranked in the top 5 or 6).

crossface21

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 30, 2022, 08:40:27 PMBarnett and Scharenbrock impressed.  Scharenbrock outplaced and outscored Model.  You would think Drew has made a case to at least get an opportunity to wrestle off for a chance to start.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

What's even more surprising to me is that Sharenbrock was listed as the 157 scoring points for the team, and not Model.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 29, 2022, 01:38:39 PMZargo got pinned by a guy he beat last year.  Ouch!

LOL...shocking. Even during a day the Badgers did extremely well, you manage to narrow in on a negative aspect of the day.

It's alright. I'm pretty convinced Zargo's the guy to get that '41 pound weight class turned around and finally make it a competitive weight that can score points at the NCAAs. Been a while...

dad 2 5

I see several guys MFF, is everyone going to be okay?

I too was impressed with Drew and thought overall the Badgers had an ok couple of days. Of course they found some things to work on too which is what an mid season tourney should be about.

Wrestling Thug

Outside of Gomez the whole Badger team should work on their attacks. None could get a takedown from their offense and only seem to look for the counters.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 31, 2022, 04:17:15 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 29, 2022, 01:38:39 PMZargo got pinned by a guy he beat last year.  Ouch!

LOL...shocking. Even during a day the Badgers did extremely well, you manage to narrow in on a negative aspect of the day.

It's alright. I'm pretty convinced Zargo's the guy to get that '41 pound weight class turned around and finally make it a competitive weight that can score points at the NCAAs. Been a while...

Did you miss my post where I said Barnett and Scharenbrock impressed?  Funny, this isn't the first time you have made strange and non-sensical personal attacks.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 31, 2022, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 31, 2022, 04:17:15 AM

Did you miss my post where I said Barnett and Scharenbrock impressed?  Funny, this isn't the first time you have made strange and non-sensical personal attacks.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Personal? Whaa....what would have been "personal" about that?

It is a bit rich that you think THAT was a "personal attack," while you sit in Pomona picking apart HS kids who might, maybe be getting too much scholarship money. Which we of course, don't know, but we DO know they're not be quite up to your standards. Soph State Champ in 1 Division Cali and they're only competing with lowly programs like Cal Poly...which, again, not MY opinion, I have respect for all these kids who Wrestle, no matter where "they" end up, be it coaching or competing.

But yes, Barnett winning the Midlands whilst beating a National Finalist "impressed." Astute.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: crossface21 on December 30, 2022, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 30, 2022, 08:40:27 PMBarnett and Scharenbrock impressed.  Scharenbrock outplaced and outscored Model.  You would think Drew has made a case to at least get an opportunity to wrestle off for a chance to start.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

What's even more surprising to me is that Sharenbrock was listed as the 157 scoring points for the team, and not Model.

Whoever scored the most points at a weight was added to the team total.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf