Schoolboy Duals start today (6/8)

Started by BlackandGold, June 08, 2016, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackandGold

sigh...
So many former wrestlers have told me that competing at the Schoolboy Duals in Indiana was in their top 5 wrestling memories.  I know the experience helped shaped my older son into a a man.

IMO - It's a shame that Wisconsin no longer sends a team(s) to compete at it.  Disappointed that my youngest will miss out on that great opportunity.

Coach V

Send him to camp and Nationals in Wisconsin Dells!!! Just like being on the Cadet and Junior teams-camp and then Nationals!!!
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

aarons23

Quote from: colekaden on June 08, 2016, 11:05:14 AM
Send him to camp and Nationals in Wisconsin Dells!!! Just like being on the Cadet and Junior teams-camp and then Nationals!!!

While these are great experiences not the same as the duals....plus our wrestlers are loosing out on valuable experience to get ready for nationals.

Rumor has is we will be going back to schoolboy duals next year.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

BlackandGold

Nothing against Nationals... Nationals is great.

However as others said, Nothing is quite like the energy of a Dual Team...and nothing is quite like the energy of a Dual Team filled with beasts competing against other state teams filled with beasts.
The schoolboy duals are specific, they don't allow for wrestlers to compete on other state teams... so the teams are the best from that specific state.

At Nationals, you are guaranteed 2 matches.

Schoolboy Duals was what 16 or 20?

I heard that WI is returning next year as well...glad to hear that...bummed that my youngest will be a Cadet... so the 2 years WI doesn't go, are the 2 years he would have been eligible.

I get the reasoning in why... I just think it was a really bad decision.

Coach V

Lets remember at this age it shouldn't be all about competing but training twice as much as you compete. There are a lot more practice times for these kids in this model and if we do go back to the duals I think we will continue to train together also. We do go as a team to Northern Plains now also. :)

aarons23

Quote from: colekaden on June 10, 2016, 08:13:54 AM
Lets remember at this age it shouldn't be all about competing but training twice as much as you compete. There are a lot more practice times for these kids in this model and if we do go back to the duals I think we will continue to train together also. We do go as a team to Northern Plains now also. :)

Sorry but the competition at Northern plaines is alright but not great...the amount of competition during greco/freestyle isnt very high.....we shouldnt be passing up opportunities like the duals......why are we doing different than the top states in the country?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Coach V

Why do we have to be like everyone else? Why cant we try our own ideas? Why do we have to be like ALL our neighbors? It was a great experience for all the kids last year. In order to improve and get better we need to adjust and plan every year. Cant keep doing the same things and expect different results. Its a 2 year trial period.

aarons23

Quote from: colekaden on June 13, 2016, 08:15:21 AM
Why do we have to be like everyone else? Why cant we try our own ideas? Why do we have to be like ALL our neighbors? It was a great experience for all the kids last year. In order to improve and get better we need to adjust and plan every year. Cant keep doing the same things and expect different results. Its a 2 year trial period.
[/quote

2 years is up...we were told it was to improve our placing at the nationals.... it has not.  Its time to go back to what is working for MN,IL, PA, IA and the other states that aren't trying to change the wheel.  It was a good great experience for out kids last year...but how much better would it have been to go as a team and bring some hardware home...or to get some of our wrestlers the matches that would give them the experience to place at nationals or place higher?

It's very strenuous! 

Barou

Quote from: colekaden on June 13, 2016, 08:15:21 AM

So the 2 year trial period is essentially 2 years of not participating in the event?  Just looking for clarification.  Thanks
JHI Mafia

Coach V

Sometimes its just a difference in opinion and philosophy. And that's ok if you give it a chance and have an open mind.  ;D

aarons23

Quote from: colekaden on June 14, 2016, 11:13:55 AM
Sometimes its just a difference in opinion and philosophy. And that's ok if you give it a chance and have an open mind.  ;D

I think we gave it a chance.  Now lets get back to what works and try to catch our neighbors. 

It's very strenuous! 

BlackandGold

The Mission & Vision of the WWF as stated on their website is:
"Wisconsin Wrestling Federation, guided by USA Wrestling, provides quality opportunities for its members to achieve their full human and athletic potential.  Wisconsin Wrestling Federation will strive to be USA Wrestling's best state organization."

Perfect...that's a great Mission & Vision Statement...

My next questions are:
What are the Goals?
What are the Measurable Objectives that align to the Goals?

Extremely important to have clear, concise Goals & Objectives so that the members can understand, have productive dialogue and reach consensus on the organizations approaches.

And then it is imperative to Measure those Objectives so the organization can adjust if the Objectives are not being met.

My fear is that these do not exist and the leadership makes decisions from "gut feeling" or "personal biases".

"...to achieve their full human and athletic potential..."

I go back to the opening comment I made when I started this thread.
My oldest son had the opportunity to participate at the Duals in his 8th grade year.  He was on the "B" team.  He was a good wrestler, but not a star, and far away from an absolute beast on the mat.  He went into that Dual tournament a boy, he came home a man.
He never would have made the varsity roster as a freshman (had to beat out 2 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 1 other freshman---none of which he had ever beat out in the practice room)
Now, going into his senior year, he is knocking on the door of being in the top 5 of most wins in our schools history.

The Duals very much helped him "...to achieve his full human and athletic potential..."

bigoil

I would think one hour of a camp, which there are many more than that, would be as much wrestling as one would see in a full weekend of duals and that would be for one wrestler at each weight. There are multiple camps open to the top 3 I believe, sure your competition is only the top 3 in WI but that is a pretty good battle and if that isn't enough, I assume you could have the opportunity to roll around with Kevin Black, Joe Ramsey, Crass Bros, Dennis Hall, etc.

I'm sure the Duals is a great experience but primarily for one wrestler per weight, sometimes two. Having additional practice sessions in various locations with different instructors seems like a great idea to me. Now one could argue you could do both and I would guess those that are the very best in WI seek out other competition.

I don't think one can say missing one tournament has an effect on results in Fargo, there are way too many variables involved.

For the record, I like the dual concept, especially at the local level as I believe it brings teams together, whether they are HS or MS (I suppose college as well :) ).

bigG

In college duals, you can also have the thrill of a past grad, who still has eligibility, to come back and steal the show. 1988 Parkside over Whitewater.... Todd Yde stepped up, and impressed. :D

I'm cool with trying something different, though. If missing some duals leads to greater opps. for more kids; I guess I gotta back it.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Coach V

GYP- oh boy......... facts are a funny thing.... no matter what way we try to change them. I'm out