Why do coaches, or wrestlers hide match results?

Started by HeyWhat, January 13, 2016, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeyWhat

It doesn't make sense to me that wrestling records are not accurate. What is the advantage?

half-lb-over

Are you referring to the results that show up or don't show up on track wrestling?  If this is what you are referring to I understand your point, but don't think people are trying to necessarily hide results.  For some reason my kid's results never get posted on track.  In every tournament his name appears in black.  not sure why.

imnofish

Sometimes, when dual meets aren't posted on Track, they can be found by searching for your team's schedule, rather than Wisconsin High School results.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

padre

Quote from: half-lb-over on January 13, 2016, 11:34:09 PM
Are you referring to the results that show up or don't show up on track wrestling?  If this is what you are referring to I understand your point, but don't think people are trying to necessarily hide results.  For some reason my kid's results never get posted on track.  In every tournament his name appears in black.  not sure why.

Not sure how that works either. I do know there are coaches out there that won't post dual meet results on Track. Not sure what they really think they're hiding. It's unfortunate we have such a nice tool to use for no cost and don't use it to its full potential.

MNbadger

Padre, I think some coaches (I was one of them) would rather as little info about their wrestlers is out there.  Why make it easy for your opponents when it comes to dual strategy? 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

missinghome

Mnbadger I agree that there are still some coaches that think that way, but that is old school thinking. In today's world it takes one tweet, text, snap chat, Facebook, Instagram, You tube, etc. and you can pretty much watch a video of any match you want. The only people you are hiding anything from in today's world is the casual fan. I think it would be a great benefit to the sport of wrestling if coaches would be required to post results. It would keep the public more involved. Believe me your not hiding anything your just making it tougher to obtain the info you want.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: padre on January 14, 2016, 01:24:27 AM
Quote from: half-lb-over on January 13, 2016, 11:34:09 PM

Not sure how that works either. I do know there are coaches out there that won't post dual meet results on Track. Not sure what they really think they're hiding. It's unfortunate we have such a nice tool to use for no cost and don't use it to its full potential.

Back in the 1960 this was a lot easier to do then today with all the technology. There is not a whole lot of sleepers out there any more. The world we live in is rapidly changing.

ramjet

MN Badger that is the precisely the wrong attitude. Track has done a tremendous amount for wrestling. It allows folks that cannot travel the opportunity to follow thier favorite wrestlers and although stats might be of some use it really depends on what happens on the mat more than anything. I think some coaches just do not want to bother. Now it may also be the wrestler has to fill out a profile for individual tracking?

wrestling#1

Trackwrestling is a wonderful tool and easy to use.  I see no reason why Dual meets & Tournament results aren't posted and records updated.  As a parent volunteer responsible for updating Trackwrestling and the filming and uploading of Hudl for the wrestling team, its a bit upsetting when the host team fails to upload any results, forcing those of us to enter the results for them.  I think its time for many people to come in out of the dark and work towards promoting our sport with every tool we have available.       
"Dedication leads to accomplishment"

teeaykay

Quote from: wrestling#1 on January 14, 2016, 09:56:32 AM
Trackwrestling is a wonderful tool and easy to use.  I see no reason why Dual meets & Tournament results aren't posted and records updated.  As a parent volunteer responsible for updating Trackwrestling and the filming and uploading of Hudl for the wrestling team, its a bit upsetting when the host team fails to upload any results, forcing those of us to enter the results for them.  I think its time for many people to come in out of the dark and work towards promoting our sport with every tool we have available.       

+1

CoachZ

Quote from: Tews19 on January 14, 2016, 10:18:08 AM
Do records really matter anyways??????? In regard to Trackwrestling, it plays a more pertinent role in regard to seeds for say the Midwest tour (youth level). Well at least it is supposed to according to the contacts at the Midwest tour. In HS, the studs are known; if your kids wrestle on a year round basis, wrestlers/kids become friends with kids all over the state once they continue to face one another. They know who is the real competition.

In regard to records for HS and track, IMO it only helps to see who the wrestlers has wrestled before. Records do not always reflect how good a wrestler is... You can have an above average wrestler constantly wrestling the top competition in the state at every meet, every tourney and piling up the loses. Than you get schools that have their wrestlers compete in a lower quality of competition tourneys.  .... Pile the wins up and once regionals and sectionals come up, their bloated 30-40 wins don't mean much.... Not saying the kid didn't  earn those wins but I look more into the quality of competition over a WIN/LOSS record. Throughout the past 20 years I have seen kids go to State even with near flawless records and can't win a match let alone get past the first period to a wrestler with double digit loses.

Now this brings up a question I have, who has had the most losses and made it to a state final; most losses to win state???

This is the route we try and go, better competition and possibly more loses. Makes us better in the end. One of my three qualifiers from last year took 6th with 21 loses. He started slow at tough tournaments and piled up some loses but when it mattered, he won. He beats the #4 and #5 ranked kids at sectionals, each of them only had 5 or 6 loses. Then kept it going at state lost by one point in the quarters and ended up 6th. Finished 26-21 on the season.

padre

Quote from: MNbadger on January 14, 2016, 06:01:13 AM
Padre, I think some coaches (I was one of them) would rather as little info about their wrestlers is out there.  Why make it easy for your opponents when it comes to dual strategy? 

That's just foolish. If someone really wants to get results they will...so you made them do some legwork...who cares?  99.9% of the time we, as fans are on there to see what happens between teams we will never wrestle. Opportunity for our sport to help its fan base but we shoot ourselves in the foot.

DocWrestling

We are often our worst enemies.  Many coaches need to do a better job of promoting the sport.  Results are one way and it is so easy.  Coaches have a ton to do already so all they have to do is assign someone to do it for them.  A student could do it.

Every varsity match wrestled should be entered on trackwrestling so fans can follow.  It is our only source of media coverage statewide.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Say-Say

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 14, 2016, 01:28:21 PM
We are often our worst enemies.  Many coaches need to do a better job of promoting the sport.  Results are one way and it is so easy.  Coaches have a ton to do already so all they have to do is assign someone to do it for them.  A student could do it.

Every varsity match wrestled should be entered on trackwrestling so fans can follow.  It is our only source of media coverage statewide.

Yes!  The more "fan tools" there are, the funner a sport it is to follow.  And promote, promote, promote.  It's essential.

MarkK

Quote from: wrestling#1 on January 14, 2016, 09:56:32 AM

That's great.  I'm glad your are doing that as a fan.  Some coaches I know are stretched and they need some others to do this kind of legwork.   Good input.  Maybe it is more up to us to help them.  It is a team sport and coaches can't do everything even if they are responsible for everything
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin